Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,564 times

Advertisements

Community is really just a buzzword. I shake my head when politicians refer to "our communities" and so forth. We are a nation of psychopathic individuals fighting for a slice of a pie that is shrinking while the population grows. The working man is nothing but a tax-generating tool for the state. We don't have anything that resembles a functioning society. This is all by design, I guarantee you. Easier to manipulate the population when you know they'll never band together.

Here's a video of what we used to be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqe4W08124M&t=12s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Community is really just a buzzword. I shake my head when politicians refer to "our communities" and so forth. We are a nation of psychopathic individuals fighting for a slice of a pie that is shrinking while the population grows. The working man is nothing but a tax-generating tool for the state. We don't have anything that resembles a functioning society. This is all by design, I guarantee you. Easier to manipulate the population when you know they'll never band together.

You are so wrong! There are still communities, still soldiers and cops who will take a bullet to save your life, still firefighters who will enter a burning building to get you out. There are even virtual communities online. Every single ornament on my little Christmas tree came from people I knew in a chat group who felt bad for me when I admitted I had none. I found my housemate in that same group, and she almost certainly saved my life by offering me a safe place to live when I needed to move quickly. As for the working man (and woman), I agree that the working and middle classes have taken a beating in the last several decades, but the 50s were not perfect, either. That little documentary didn't show it, but I promise you, all of those smiling people had problems, just like we do today.

You keep posting these sad commentaries on how hopeless society is, and your yearning is palpable. It's painful to see, it's so real. The thing is, *you* are society. I am, too. We all are. Community is not just going to fall into your lap, you have to help make it happen.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
My husband and I live in a wonderful community. Everyone watches out for the children as if they were our own. When vacations roll around we care for each others pets. Harvest time produces vegetables for everyone who wants some. Need a ride? All you have to do is let a neighbor know. If someone is sick and lives alone, someone will mow his grass. We painted fences, sheds and porches for neighbors who can't.

If you think society sucks, change it. Start by helping your neighbors. Rake leaves. Shovel snow. Mow lawns. Check up on the elderly and offer your assistance. Create the neighborhood that you'd like to live in. Do you have a neighbor on SS, or one who's out of work? Take them a bag of groceries.

Be the hero you expect others to be.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
You're right. Community used to mean your town or neighborhood, now it's your grievance group. People are taught to think of themselves as part of the "_______ community" which shares some common problem caused by heterosexual white Christian cis-men.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I like my community. I agree though that it is often awkwardly used, for example, when talking about the "black community" or "gay community", as if all black people or gay people in the country live in the same neighborhood. But it is a good term when talking about the community of a certain city.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:

This is what Conservatives actually believe.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is what Conservatives actually believe.
The video's a fake, right? Like the moon landing.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:12 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The video's a fake, right? Like the moon landing.
Born in '53. I can relate to most of the video.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I like my community. I agree though that it is often awkwardly used, for example, when talking about the "black community" or "gay community", as if all black people or gay people in the country live in the same neighborhood. But it is a good term when talking about the community of a certain city.

This I agree with. What is the black community or gay community? Is this some kind of assumption that all of a cerain group think alike? As much as I hate the idea of being offended, thsee terms are kind of offensive, painting full demographics into one neat little box.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Get in your DeLorean and make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies