Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 12:59 PM

77,014 posts, read 47,353,135 times

Advertisements

The great white north....

Canada Just Legalized Heroin to Control Drug Addiction – High Times

In an effort to treat Canadians enslaved by a junk habit, the Liberal government has taken action against an old law by imposing a new set of regulations that will allow medical professionals to provide addicts with daily doses of pharmaceutical-grade heroin

More:
http://www.snopes.com/canada-legalizes-heroin/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 01:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,093,176 times
Heroin is not something that can be just quit cold turkey.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,897,065 times
That's great! Now they can tax it and potentially make millions! I wonder if they're going to open Heroine shops soon (aka Heroine dens).

Old 09-17-2016, 01:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,772,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Heroin is not something that can be just quit cold turkey.
If you stuck the average heroin user with a simple heroin addiction on a deserted island, they will never die from lack of heroin... I am not saying its easy to quit and I am not even saying its wrong to legalize heroin... but you can quit cold turkey if you don't have access... problem is people will never stop cold turkey because they will always have access... like smoking, drinking, other illicit drugs, etc etc... last time I check, heroin isn't the only addictive drug... if you do heroin, what about PCP, LSD, cocaine, etc etc... it seems ironic that its only heroin because you can't go cold turkey...

Old 09-17-2016, 01:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 1,737,981 times
How foolish.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,093,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you stuck the average heroin user with a simple heroin addiction on a deserted island, they will never die from lack of heroin... I am not saying its easy to quit and I am not even saying its wrong to legalize heroin... but you can quit cold turkey if you don't have access... problem is people will never stop cold turkey because they will always have access... like smoking, drinking, other illicit drugs, etc etc... last time I check, heroin isn't the only addictive drug... if you do heroin, what about PCP, LSD, cocaine, etc etc... it seems ironic that its only heroin because you can't go cold turkey...
Exactly, they'll always have access to street grade heroin. Which means they have to manage their own weaning and withdrawals. For severe addicts, that's pretty unrealistic.

But if they can be under medical supervision to gradually decrease their doses, their chances of overcoming the addiction become much more realistic. Additionally, they're able to avoid the dangers of participating in the type of lifestyle that illicit drug users have to immerse themselves in in order to obtain their fix.

It's just a smart idea all-around. Canada isn't legalizing street heroin, only that administered by physicians for the sole purpose of weaning addicts from their addiction.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:25 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,550,721 times
Heron now and pedophilia is next maybe. There is nothing off limits to liberals.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:32 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,903,136 times
There will probably be fewer social problems as a result. Less need to steal to get a fix.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,494,944 times
Doctors are only supposed to prescribe it to patients who have failed rehab. I'd rather they send them back to rehab, but that won't work unless a person is ready.

At least the drug will be safer. That couple that was passed out in the car with the four year old grandson of the woman in the backseat, had heroin that was cut with an elephant tranquilizer.

I'm anti-drug, but what we're doing isn't working.

I'm more shocked that masturbation in public is now legal in Italy, unless done in front of a child, than I am by this.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,508,235 times
Euthanizing them would be a better solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies