Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mightyqueen801 Yes, that's a given that terrorists "hide in plain sight"--look at this latest guy with his fried chicken shop. I think it's a safe bet that what they used to call sleeper cells still exist. Law enforcement isn't always going to necessarily tell the public what they are investigating for obvious reasons.
Just the other day I was listening to a broadcast and its the first time in a long time I've even heard them mention "cells". Haven't heard that in a long time, again, I feel the media is covering it all up.

Quote:
OK, you mention NJ a lot and seem concerned with things that happen in NJ, although I don't see you on the NJ forum. I thought it possible that you might live here because of that. It doesn't matter.
Yes, I do, I've spent a good many of days and nights there...and one of my best friends owned a business there...so was there even more...

Quote:
I think you're reading way too much into what the media said or didn't say. Do you not recall that near that very same neighborhood there was a huge explosion, maybe back in 2003 or so? I was working in that area at the time, so I remember. It was only a few years after the WTC went down, and everyone thought it was a bomb, but it was a gas line. It is smart to not say something is something before there is evidence of what it is, and usually the media isn't too good at waiting for facts to come in anyway--remember, they just want a story. They serve their advertisers, not YOU.
well, maybe I do read too much...however, since I really started listening, I see, how they are constantly planting mind seeds over the years...say, the past oh 15 years, I've been paying attention...and they lie, and cover up and cut out parts, to push their own agendas. I'll agree with you on that....
Quote:
Who exactly do you think should have reported this week's terrorist? That's quite an odd statement. Do you think this guy shared his plans with people he knew would not approve of his actions? Do you report the guy down the street from you with the meth lab in his basement or the man next door who has been sexually abusing his children if you don't know that it's going on?
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you, I wasn't referring to this past weeks terrorist...but as much as they tell people to stay aware and report any irregular happenings, no matter how small....(which I don't understand, b/c everyone's so busy with their noses in their cells?) I believe more Muslims should be more open in discussing this with all of us, as a community member. Maybe that would help? Or how bout the Mosques, in Paris, where they found so many weapons after their last attack? I mean, that doesn't help much does it?

Quote:
And many do, as you know. Others don't because frankly, why should they? They just may want to live their lives, and just because they are Muslim, it doesn't obligate them as individuals to go to great lengths to root out terrorism. The Muslim manager in my office who has two little kids at home in addition to her career--when is she supposed to be leading the charge against Islamic terrorism? We have to be realistic.
Well If I were the minority living in another country, say, Saudi? And American's were being blamed for atrocities happening there, you'd better believe I'd want to assimilate...
and I'm not, nor would I ever, just an example.

Quote:
Whether a non-extremist Muslim does or not does choose to fight terrorism, however, does not release us personally of our moral obligation to not presume someone is the enemy just because of whatever group, be it religious, racial, ethnic, etc., they are affiliated with.
I understand that, totally and it makes me very angry to think this way....my girlfriend who lived in New Jersey, and I used to say this all the time, we never ever, saw color until 911...I don't like what it did to me, and I'm sorry and apolgize to all Muslims who are not radical....however, it did...

Quote:
You're not making sense here. If Zazi's imam had not ratted him out, nine backpack bombs would have gone off in the NYC subway. Your problem that you can't seem to get past is that you keep thinking "The Muslims, The Muslims, The Muslims" as if they are all one big lump of sameness. They are not.
I will admit, Muslims scare me....after 911 there was a report that came out, from the terrorists, that said, they were going to hit us where it hurt...our children...schools, etc....and they were doing that in their own lands...that made me sick...and is to me, a coward. If they'd hit our children, they'd do anything, meaning hiding behind a religion....

Quote:
Think a bit. There are at least 600,000 Muslims in NYC alone. There are about 300,000 in NJ. If all these people were extremists, wouldn't we be seeing A LOT more terrorist attacks in the area?
I fear down the road, there will be....but it is a fact, they are infiltrating everything here in America....our schools, our jobs in every aspect, our politics....everything...

Quote:
Not all Muslims think that way, and you know that, of course Most are just living their lives, working, going to school, raising their kids, doing charity because that's what they believe Islam is. Jews think that one day they will lead the world to Torah. Christians think that one day God will come down and separate the believers from the non-believers.
Yes, I most certainly do know that, but....how do you know, who is who?

Quote:
Radical Muslims think that they are obligated by their religion to fight against anyone who does not conform to Islam, particularly THEIR brand of Islam. They are the problem. Personally, I think they are people who just love violence and use Islam as their reason to perpetuate it.
Yes, and radical muslims also believe it's ok to lie and pretend to be like us, for their cause.

anyway, thanks for the conversation....you have given me lots to think on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:40 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Ahmad Khan Rahami's Father Warned FBI of Son's Radicalization in 2014: Source - New York City, NY Patch

Here's the answer to one of your questions--the terrorist's father did indeed reach out to the FBI two years ago, according to this. Perhaps that's why they got him so quickly--they had him on the radar screen already.

And this:

What It's Like Being Muslim in New York After the 'Ahmad Khan Rahami' Bombings - New York City, NY Patch

I found the statement interesting that they record their services so that what they say can't be misconstrued.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ahmad Khan Rahami's Father Warned FBI of Son's Radicalization in 2014: Source - New York City, NY Patch

Here's the answer to one of your questions--the terrorist's father did indeed reach out to the FBI two years ago, according to this. Perhaps that's why they got him so quickly--they had him on the radar screen already.

And this:

What It's Like Being Muslim in New York After the 'Ahmad Khan Rahami' Bombings - New York City, NY Patch

I found the statement interesting that they record their services so that what they say can't be misconstrued.
yes, thank you, it is interesting, and they are wise to record their statements....

Regarding Ahmad's Father, that had to be heart wrenching for him...

Listen, I can probably speak for many American's that feel as I do....

My girlfriend and I used to cry together and say, "We hate what we've become due to 911. We never ever noticed how many Muslim's were opening stores on the boards....we never saw color....
it was then I remembered the scary stories our teacher told us...about terrorists...and how they are trained, from a tiny kid on up...how they teach them to hate, to cut off peoples heads, to even kill people who don't believe as they do. How they hide among us...and are told to breed to specifically take over the world, to infiltrate within all structures of the world....and they are...and they refuse to assimilate....

I understand what your trying to tell me, but it is so hard....especially like the person in your link said, another Muslim....and they have to start all over from square one.

If American's were infiltrating "their" county, and beheading "their" people for their religious beliefs, and killing thousands of "their" people....by flying planes into their buildings, how would they feel?

They would fear to? Maybe you could stress that to them at times...? Thanks for trying

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-20-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's why he had Bin Laden hunted down and shot.

Don't some of you think before you post incredibly simple-minded statements like the one above?

I mean, I'm not a big Obama fan, either. I'm not really a fan of ANY politicians to be honest, but these kinds of blanket statements add nothing to the conversation. It's parrot talk.
This response to me added nothing either, except to show you are unwilling/unable to respond respectfully to someone you don't agree with.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
This response to me added nothing either, except to show you are unwilling/unable to respond respectfully to someone you don't agree with.
OK, fair enough, although your conclusion is not true. I very often DO respond respectfully to someone I don't agree with, but I only usually do that when they have made statements of substance.

I usually just ignore posts like yours, which is what I should have done. LOL, you are not going to say "Gee, she's right, I shouldn't post nonsensical drivel" just because I pointed it out. Thank you for the reminder.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, thank you, it is interesting, and they are wise to record their statements....

Regarding Ahmad's Father, that had to be heart wrenching for him...

Listen, I can probably speak for many American's that feel as I do....

My girlfriend and I used to cry together and say, "We hate what we've become due to 911. We never ever noticed how many Muslim's were opening stores on the boardwalks....we never saw color....
it was then I remembered the scary stories our teacher told us...about terrorists...and how they are trained, from a tiny kid on up...how they teach them to hate, to cut off peoples heads, to even kill people who don't believe as they do. How they hide among us...and are told to breed to specifically take over the world, to infiltrate within all structures of the world....and they are...and they refuse to assimilate....

I understand what your trying to tell me, but it is so hard....especially like the person in your link said, another Muslim....and they have to start all over from square one.

If American's were infiltrating "their" county, and beheading "their" people for their religious beliefs, and killing thousands of "their" people....by flying planes into their buildings, how would they feel?

They would fear to? Maybe you could stress that to them at times...? Thanks for trying
Well, the argument can be made that Americans have in the past done similar things to Muslims in their countries, but I am not going to go into that here because we cannot change what happened in the past, especially things like what we did to Iran over 70 years ago. We live with the fallout from those days still, but the people who actually made the decisions that caused harm in Iran are long dead. Other things are more recent, but we have to figure out what to do with what we've got to deal with NOW.

It is interesting--yesterday I got a Linked-in message from a woman I worked with at the job that I retired from earlier this year. She is a Pakistani woman who was either born here or came here young--she has no accent whatsoever. We used to laugh because so many times whatever color hijab she had on--bright pink, or turquoise, or whatever--I would be wearing the same color shirt that day.

She had come back to work after her second baby maternity leave, and she asked how I was and what I was doing in retirement. When we worked together we used to speak to each other a lot about the need for finding common ground rather than dwelling on our differences, not just Christians and Muslims, but others who worked with us--Hindus, Jews, people of no religious affiliation. We were together when the Pope came (our office was at the new WTC) and she pointed out that everyone up there with him had their own "look", their hat, their clothing, whatever, but that many of us have the same ideals in common--charity work, wanting the best for our children, etc., and that's what we need to focus on.

I wondered if she specifically reached out to me yesterday because of what happened.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
OK, fair enough, although your conclusion is not true. I very often DO respond respectfully to someone I don't agree with, but I only usually do that when they have made statements of substance.

I usually just ignore posts like yours, which is what I should have done. LOL, you are not going to say "Gee, she's right, I shouldn't post nonsensical drivel" just because I pointed it out. Thank you for the reminder.
My thoughts and feelings are just as important as anyone else's, and i have a right to my beliefs, and core values....they are not without substance, just b/c you disagree....I respected your feelings and was willing to look at your points of view....

Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoball1 View Post
I'm still waitng on the proof.
Of what, Bin Laden? LOL, I think we will all be waiting for a very long time for proof. What proof would convince us anyway?

I do believe he got him, although if I ever found out it was not true, it would hardly be shocking. I've been around for a long time, and I don't trust anyone in our government any more than I can throw them. I have WANTED to throw some of them, too.

I think it's true because with our whole Dem/Repub gap if there was a way to show the story was false, SOMEONE would have come up with it. And you saw Cheney on TV giving Obama his props for getting OBL and you could tell it was grinding his ass to say it.

It's not a good enough story to be fake. IMO, anyway.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My thoughts and feelings are just as important as anyone else's, and i have a right to my beliefs, and core values....they are not without substance, just b/c you disagree....I respected your feelings and was willing to look at your points of view....
That wasn't addressed to you, creme brulee. It was specifically addressed to the guy who was yelling into the air about Obama and the media or whatever. There are people on both sides of the divide who do that. It just takes up space, I think. I should have just ignored it and not responded to him.

YOU AND I have been having a conversation!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM

Also, cremebrulee, I wish you had a different screen name. I LOVE sweets, and I am supposed to be working on getting my blood sugar down. I see "creme brulee" and I just want some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies