Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
She was not calling for a outright ban of all guns, in her 60 minutes interview (that the quesiton that was asked was conveniently edited out of most youtube videos of it), she was speaking of one type gun. She made the same speech on the senate floor in December 1995:

"If I had my way, I would ban the possession of assault weapons anywhere in the United States of America, but there were not going to be the votes for that" (https://www.congress.gov/congression...ticle/s18307-1)

She has also stated:
If an individual wants to purchase a weapon for hunting or self-defense, I support that right.
But a semiautomatic assault rifle with a 100-round ammo drum - or a handgun with a 30-round magazine like the one used to shoot former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona - has but one purpose: to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible.

(Feinstein presses for assault weapons ban - SFGate)

Why not ban cast iron cookware? it has as much to do with the urban crime problem as guns. No one want to talk about it. No one want to admit the inner city black neighborhoods are Lord of the Flies . Her polices created it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 11:30 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Call the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Now, don't get me wrong, not all Muslims are terrorists, just like I believe you don't think all gun owners are murderers. But there is definitely a radical Muslim problem going on in the world. How many more people must be killed or injured before you stop pretending a specific religion is being used to kill innocent people?

Yes, yes there are bad apples in every race and religion... but one specific religion across the world, not just in one country, but literally across the world is responsible for 95% of the attacks of recent times. From the Phillipines to Thailand to Indonesia to America to England to Germany to France to Turkey to China etc.

OK. So, do you have a cite for this? Where does this statement come from?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Default We don't let in people blindly

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
yep, government broke it and now Obama is claiming he is fixing it by letting people into this country without vetting them. Maybe instead of asking are you Muslim they should be asking are you liberal.
TMK, that isn't true. Certainly the Syrian would-be refugees undergo screening lasting up to two years, & I assume that everyone else applying for refugee status from the Middle East, or with any indicators of radical Islamic tendencies, is automatically flagged for attention to the question of divided loyalties between the US & any jihadist leanings.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:30 PM

Default I sing the body electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Democrats are just as war hungry too, admit that... when has Hillary ever rejected some form of foreign intervention?

H. Clinton @ Dept. of State? If you look @ budget outlays for Dept. of State v. Dept. of Defense (& all the support/black/military aid budgets too), since Pres. Clinton, you'll see that DoD's slice of the budget has grown enormously, & is only recently starting to fall back to pre-09/11 levels.

Since Pres. W's accession to war-time president, the Dept. of State wields less & less influence in the councils of government, even in foreign policy, which should be their strongpoint. Instead, it's all neoliberal ideology, which removes government as much as possible from governance, & trusts to corporates & free markets to solve (or @ least profit) from all the ills of the World. Which goes a long way to explaining why environmental & biosphere problems - clean water & air, sufficient food for the masses - is such a problem for the neoliberals.

The economically poor in the World don't have the money to buy any of these goodies, & free markets automatically exclude externalities such as food, air, & water quality - & so by definition, the neoliberal program isn't in the least concerned about these issues - except as they get in the way of vacationing in Barbados, Cancun, Nice - all the Jet Set destinations, safely gated & presumably secure from the teeming masses ...

Old 09-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Default There are choices & choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post

The idea of a temporary freeze on Muslim immigration doesn't sound extremist at all when spoken by someone who's not a loud, NYC blowhard like Trump. Sadly, many Democrats will sit quietly by and allow hundreds of thousands of migrant Muslims to flood our country, only so they can say they didn't support Trump.
Yah. In the real World, there are more than two choices. Would-be Islamic refugees to the US - especially from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan & anywhere else that we're (the US) militarily opposing Islam - should be vetted carefully. My preference would be women only, with minor dependent children. Young men of military age - 18-40 or so - would have to show extraordinary reasons to be admitted to the US.

& if they can't show reasons, or their backgrounds show too many question marks - they don't get in. They can go elsewhere.

As of August 13, 2016, the United States has a total resident population of 324,227,000, making it the third most populous country in the world.

Reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

So - 3,242,270 Muslims would be 1% of the total US population. From that perspective, I'm not much concerned. But we should still vet the refugees vigorously. There's no point in taking unnecessary chances, & it's a far better deal than we offered the Jewish & other would-be refugees from Nazi Germany & then Europe.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_..._United_States

"Islam is the third largest religion in the United States after Christianity and Judaism.[1] According to a 2010 study, it is followed by 0.9% of the population, compared to 70.6% who follow Christianity, 22.8% unaffiliated, 1.9% Judaism, 0.7% Buddhism, and 0.7% Hinduism.[1][2] According to a new estimate in 2016, there are 3.3 million Muslims living in the United States, about 1% of the total U.S. population.[3]

"American Muslims come from various backgrounds and, according to a 2009 Gallup poll, are one of the most racially diverse religious groups in the United States.[4] Native-born American Muslims are mainly African Americans who make up about a quarter of the total Muslim population. Many of these have converted to Islam during the last seventy years. Conversion to Islam in large urban areas[5] has also contributed to its growth over the years."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Old 09-19-2016, 12:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
TMK, that isn't true. Certainly the Syrian would-be refugees undergo screening lasting up to two years, & I assume that everyone else applying for refugee status from the Middle East, or with any indicators of radical Islamic tendencies, is automatically flagged for attention to the question of divided loyalties between the US & any jihadist leanings.
Please enlighten me as to how one screens somebody when A.The country of their birth/residency is completely war ravaged and in shambles B. False paperwork is readily available and printed by captured government equipment. C. All agencies that you'd normally get information from are either corrupt or just don't exist. D. Many people you'd expect to give you info either don't like the west or are bought off or, are scared spitless by the consequences of telling the truth.

So, how exactly can we expect to find out any real information from/about someone who doesn't even have to give us their real name and you can't prove it?

Another thought, many times we can't even be sure of the identity of people walking over from Mexico.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Please enlighten me as to how one screens somebody when A.The country of their birth/residency is completely war ravaged and in shambles B. False paperwork is readily available and printed by captured government equipment. C. All agencies that you'd normally get information from are either corrupt or just don't exist. D. Many people you'd expect to give you info either don't like the west or are bought off or, are scared spitless by the consequences of telling the truth.

So, how exactly can we expect to find out any real information from/about someone who doesn't even have to give us their real name and you can't prove it?

Another thought, many times we can't even be sure of the identity of people walking over from Mexico.
Easy, call up the Syrian government, you know the government that the USA government is waging war on, and ask them politely,

"Hey this is USA, some guy named Muhammad **** wants to come into our country, is he good to go?"

Syrian government: "Oh yeah, Muhammad is a great guy!"

USA government: "Thanks, have a good day! Oh and sorry about the whole trying to bring down your government and arming the rebels who are attacking you."

Syrian government: "Don't worry about it, you Americans worry too much!"

It is amazing how people don't really think beyond the word vetting, like how it can be done. They just trust the federal government. Think about it folks! We are unofficially at war with Syria!(a whole other issue, think about that as well, why are we trying to take down Syria?" It is very clear that our government wants to topple their government. You think they are helping us vet? Hello! McFly!

U.S. report warns of ISIS' ability to create fake passports

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/11/politics/isis-passports/

Also this is just weird timing
Sadiq Khan throws first ball at Mets baseball game during the London mayor’s whirlwind visit to New York

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/181026...t-to-new-york/

Last edited by peequi; 09-19-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Default Rigorous screening, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Piece of cake. Skip A. @ B, our agencies can presumably ID false paperwork, & with enough of a DB, you can rule in or out most documents. @ C - if the agencies aren't reliable, you don't rely on them. @ D - we can run people through a kind of super lie detector - heart rate, BP, nervous tics, EEG activity, skin conductivity & on & on. Very few people - TMK - have the kind of training & self-control it takes to beat full-sensor, full-body scans.

So, we explain to the subject: If you don't cooperate, no pass, no refugee status, we ship you off to your point of origin. My concern is to offer refugee status to people who want an opportunity to do something with their lives - Or @ least live in relative peace. & so I would favor women with dependent children. Young men of military age (get the most screening), old people - go to the end of the line. Failure to cooperate halts the process, we get the biometrics we need to ID the person in future, & they're off to sunny wherever.

Unless they have information or skills or something to offer in return. Otherwise, we accept the people likeliest to succeed in the US, without exception, & no apologies. & they can be grateful or not - under S. Hussein, late of Iraq, they'd get a Makarov to the back of the neck, if they were lucky.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I thought we had problems with terror attacks long before. Are you not old enough to remember them?
When was the United States attacked before we started meddling in the Middle East?

I don't care about terror attacks anywhere else.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That one blames everything on this country. The truth is those people in the ME have been nuts for thousands of years. My theory is it's the heat and the fumes from the oil permeating through the sand, their brains are FUBAR.

Makes as much sense as global warming LOL.

We should have a zero tolerance policy for terrorism. If the Muslims cannot control their children they should ALL have to get out of this country or give up their made up cult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Yes, the ME has been in turmoil for thousands of years. It's been a cesspool of violence and dysfunction long before we can be blamed.

A friend of mine who's lived over in Saudi Arabia for a few years now told me that part of the problem in the ME is inbreeding. She said there are a lot of crazy people over there and lots of birth defects too. Inbreeding could certainly cause such issues over time.

Lots of inbreeding and a 7th century religion with all to many rabid adherents.....a recipe for disaster in the modern world for sure !
Where is the proof that the Middle East has been this cesspool of violence for thousands of years anymore then let's say....EUROPE!

In the last century alone, the Europeans fomented two world wars that killed at least 100 million of their own citizens.

What's the Middle Eastern equivalent of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies