Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 05:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
It helps to know who these H1B visa holders are, who they are not. The above data says Apple hired 1464 people who holds H1B visas, with an average pay of $133,593.

Now, for that kind of salary, who wouldn't want to the jobs at Apple? Are they Americans or foreigners?

(1). Who they are not: they are mostly not Mexicans, not really "temporary", not unskilled (not everyone can get the jobs, and the jobs maybe eliminated if the visa holder is gone).

(2). Who they are: they are most likely Indians, Chinese etc, they have been in those positions for years, Apple is now sponsoring H1B for the next steps of Greencard and citizenship, those positions are highly skilled such as operating system software engineers.
$133K average pay for Apple doesn't sound like that much. My sister got a $100k+ offer right out of college as a computer science major in San Francisco. It was typical among her classmates too. It wasn't even one of those well known tech companies either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
$133K average pay for Apple doesn't sound like that much. My sister got a $100k+ offer right out of college as a computer science major in San Francisco. It was typical among her classmates too. It wasn't even one of those well known tech companies either.
yes, but that is CA.....not typical in most areas....I'd say $70 K, right out of college is normal.

also, I don't believe the H1B empolyees are given health care and other benefits, which is a huge chunk of savings?

Old 11-29-2016, 04:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
It helps to know who these H1B visa holders are, who they are not. The above data says Apple hired 1464 people who holds H1B visas, with an average pay of $133,593.

Now, for that kind of salary, who wouldn't want to the jobs at Apple? Are they Americans or foreigners?

(1). Who they are not: they are mostly not Mexicans, not really "temporary", not unskilled (not everyone can get the jobs, and the jobs maybe eliminated if the visa holder is gone).

(2). Who they are: they are most likely Indians, Chinese etc, they have been in those positions for years, Apple is now sponsoring H1B for the next steps of Greencard and citizenship, those positions are highly skilled such as operating system software engineers.
right and companies "need" foreigners to fill these positions to varying degrees.

google normally does pretty good about using the H-1b to hire very high-earning people who are probably very, very skilled.

on the other end of the spectrum, Tata and Infosys are spamming the system with application for average college graduates who make $60k-$70k.

and you have all sorts in between, some needing to use foreigners, others like Apple who'd rather pay $133k to a to a highly-skilled and highly-experienced foreigner than $200k, $300k, possibly $400k to a similar american.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:56 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
If H1B software engineers are so skilled and talented, why is most software full of bugs and poor design?

Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If H1B software engineers are so skilled and talented, why is most software full of bugs and poor design?
yes, indeed Every update of new software we get, has bugs, and is not as good as the last....
again, it's a younger generation, they have no desire, to discuss the needs of specialized software with the users....

If I'm going to invent a new vacuum, I'm going to discuss the needs of women who use vacuums, and not just go ahead and invent it...like most men inventors do.

I also blame it on this generation....say from college graduate to their 40's. They have no concept of team work, (and I'm not talking about everyone) but the majority, of skilled labor today, when it comes to new inventions, do not sit down with the people using that equipment and design something that is user friendly. It goes way beyond my comprehension.

Even at work, every new software update they impose on us, is worse than the last.....why? Because they have lost the concept of designing software with the users in mind....they just design what they think it should be?

Team Work is a lost thought.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
right and companies "need" foreigners to fill these positions to varying degrees.

google normally does pretty good about using the H-1b to hire very high-earning people who are probably very, very skilled.

on the other end of the spectrum, Tata and Infosys are spamming the system with application for average college graduates who make $60k-$70k.

and you have all sorts in between, some needing to use foreigners, others like Apple who'd rather pay $133k to a to a highly-skilled and highly-experienced foreigner than $200k, $300k, possibly $400k to a similar american.
I disagree, I don't believe it is about highly skilled, b/c some foreigners are highly skilled, and some are not....I am connected with IS in my line of work, and I don't see it....not to the extent, and the money you are talking about....

I honestly remember, when I started with this company, our IT department was owned by the company itself. Then, you didn't have the ability of the technology you have today and I'm going back 23 years ago.

If I'd come in, in the morning and my computer wasn't working, I'd call those Tech Guys, and tell them what was going on. They were incredibly skilled, and would instantly tell me what to do and how to do it over the phone without seeing my screen. Those guys (American) were truly insightful and technologically driven, to precise answers in no uncertain terms.

Our company had an IT committee....who held meetings once a month, for all the admins....and at those meetings we'd articulate what we were having problems with, and those IT people would go back to the drawing boards and trouble shoot the problems. We really functioned in our IT departments, as a Team. That is truly not the case today.

Today, our IT HelpDesk, is worthless and a waste of money. They are based in India, and they don't know a darn thing, you waste more time on the phone with them, and they sill cannot troubleshoot the problem. We call them the Helpless Desk. And to boot, you can hardly understand them. that is far from being productive....and the Company is not saving any money. But, on paper they see that they are, and do not care about the product their employees are left with.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Refugees? I think we all like the idea of helping those in need.

The two Boston bombers were refugees. Yet they had gone back and visited the place they fled several times.

Did Albert Einstein and Peter Lorre go back and visited Nazi Germany after they had fled?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:04 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
It sounds like what makes it hard for genuine refugees to get refuge in an emergency is that too many routine immigrants violate the refugee system and the US government doesn't have the competence to tell the difference. So they let in terrorists instead of refugees, leaving those behind as fodder for the terrorists they're trying to flee from.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I've worked in IT half my life, first in QA and then as a developer.

Here's how bugs happen:

1.) Business requirements/functional specification either doesn't exist or is so poorly written/defined that the developer does the best he/she can.

2.) Developer is handling poorly-written legacy code or is developing on a poorly-designed existing platform.

3.) Manager piles on too much work and developer does the best he/she can to deliver something that mostly works.

4.) Unit tests work perfectly but QA misses bugs due to a poorly-designed test strategy.

5.) QA finds and reports the bug but the business decides not to fix it, or to push it to a subsequent release as "tech debt."

I see it every day.

I'm not standing up for H1Bs...I'd like to see the program completely eliminated...but there's more to a client-facing bug than the skill level of the developer who wrote the code. Much more.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I disagree, I don't believe it is about highly skilled, b/c some foreigners are highly skilled, and some are not....I am connected with IS in my line of work, and I don't see it....not to the extent, and the money you are talking about....

I honestly remember, when I started with this company, our IT department was owned by the company itself. Then, you didn't have the ability of the technology you have today and I'm going back 23 years ago.

If I'd come in, in the morning and my computer wasn't working, I'd call those Tech Guys, and tell them what was going on. They were incredibly skilled, and would instantly tell me what to do and how to do it over the phone without seeing my screen. Those guys (American) were truly insightful and technologically driven, to precise answers in no uncertain terms.

Our company had an IT committee....who held meetings once a month, for all the admins....and at those meetings we'd articulate what we were having problems with, and those IT people would go back to the drawing boards and trouble shoot the problems. We really functioned in our IT departments, as a Team. That is truly not the case today.

Today, our IT HelpDesk, is worthless and a waste of money. They are based in India, and they don't know a darn thing, you waste more time on the phone with them, and they sill cannot troubleshoot the problem. We call them the Helpless Desk. And to boot, you can hardly understand them. that is far from being productive....and the Company is not saving any money. But, on paper they see that they are, and do not care about the product their employees are left with.
We aren't talking about help desk technicians here. You're talking about a totally different industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies