Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
H1B, is specifically for IT Persons and so forth, so forth meant other Specialty Occupations...read between the lines...

Listen, respectfully, we all get your agenda....and we know you know everything about this....so,...why continually argue with people?

Everything that everyone says, they are wrong in your eyes, so fine....leave it...take what you want and leave the rest...

and I have read the websites... believe me....

please stop hijacking this thread....
Why are you telling me to shut up when I try to dispel the false information?

No, H1B is not specifically for IT. At the personal level, I have tons of non-IT friends, from doctors to accountants, who got on H1B and later became legal permanent residents (Green Card.) When I first came to this country, I was on H1B myself along with many of my colleagues and none of us was not working in IT.

My agenda is to further the understanding not to perpetuate the lies, the disinformation or the red herring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
yes, indeed Every update of new software we get, has bugs, and is not as good as the last....
again, it's a younger generation, they have no desire, to discuss the needs of specialized software with the users....

If I'm going to invent a new vacuum, I'm going to discuss the needs of women who use vacuums, and not just go ahead and invent it...like most men inventors do.

I also blame it on this generation....say from college graduate to their 40's. They have no concept of team work, (and I'm not talking about everyone) but the majority, of skilled labor today, when it comes to new inventions, do not sit down with the people using that equipment and design something that is user friendly. It goes way beyond my comprehension.

Even at work, every new software update they impose on us, is worse than the last.....why? Because they have lost the concept of designing software with the users in mind....they just design what they think it should be?

Team Work is a lost thought.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
yes, but that is CA.....not typical in most areas....I'd say $70 K, right out of college is normal.

also, I don't believe the H1B empolyees are given health care and other benefits, which is a huge chunk of savings?
You are incorrect, AGAIN.

H1B employees are given all the benefits, vacation, health care, bonus, etc. etc. as if they were American employees - they are treated the same. H1Bs also pay the same taxes as Americans.

The only thing they don't really get is promotion - it's difficult given the nature of the H1B requirements.

How do I know? I personally hired people on H1B.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It sounds like what makes it hard for genuine refugees to get refuge in an emergency is that too many routine immigrants violate the refugee system and the US government doesn't have the competence to tell the difference. So they let in terrorists instead of refugees, leaving those behind as fodder for the terrorists they're trying to flee from.
What "routine immigrants"?

Refugees are refugees. Generally, legal immigrants aren't refugees but some refugees can become legal immigrants.

There's no such thing as "routine immigrants violate the refugee system."

Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I didn't take their jobs. I was transferred to USA by my company to open a new location and hire people. I had to hire some people on H1B because I couldn't find any qualified Americans. Here was the choice I had for an engineering position:

Candidate A, foreigner:
- Masters and Bachelors degrees in STEM from top schools in USA
- 3.9 GPA
- Scored the highest in technical tests
- Fluent in English plus another language
- Wants $45K

Candidate B, American:
- High school diploma, sometimes Bachelors of Historical Art or some sort from an online "university"
- 3.2 GPA
- Scored OK in technical tests
- Fluent in English
- Wants $60K

Please tell me, as a wise business person, whom should I hire?
What a BS scenario. The majority of Americans who apply for engineering jobs aren't people with only high school diplomas or art degrees. Where did you post this job...Craigslist?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
What a BS scenario. The majority of Americans who apply for engineering jobs aren't people with only high school diplomas or art degrees. Where did you post this job...Craigslist?
This was a real case for an IT position. Actually, every IT position I posted either ended up like that, we had to revise the qualification to remove the degree requirement or we had to forfeit the job. One job I had to forfeit because after 8 months, we (HR, multiple prominent recruiters) couldn't find anybody and the HR didn't want to pay such a nice salary to someone without a degree.

Americans who have bachelors degree or above in STEM would have already been employed. Can you think of anybody like that, having bachelor's degree in STEM, still sitting at home? You may find one or two rare cases but the vast majority of them are employed.

The STEM Worker Shortage Is Real | Op Ed | US News

"There are some 40,000 computer science bachelor’s degree earners each year but roughly 4 million job vacancies for computer workers. "

Even in the STEM field, Americans can't compete with foreigners. It's very rare for Americans to have bachelor's degree in STEM and even rarer if they have Master's degree. When a foreigner walks in with two engineering degrees but only wants $40K, it's hard to turn him or her down.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 11-30-2016 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
This was a real case for an IT position. Actually, every IT position I posted either ended up like that, we had to revise the qualification to remove the degree requirement or we had to forfeit the job. One job I had to forfeit because after 8 months, we (HR, multiple prominent recruiters) couldn't find anybody and the HR didn't want to pay such a nice salary to someone without a degree.

Americans who have bachelors degree or above in STEM would have already been employed. Can you think of anybody like that, having bachelor's degree in STEM, still sitting at home? You may find one or two rare cases but the vast majority of them are employed.

The STEM Worker Shortage Is Real | Op Ed | US News

"There are some 40,000 computer science bachelor’s degree earners each year but roughly 4 million job vacancies for computer workers. "

Even in the STEM field, Americans can't compete with foreigners. It's very rare for Americans to have bachelor's degree in STEM and even rarer if they have Master's degree. When a foreigner walks in with two engineering degrees but only wants $40K, it's hard to turn him or her down.
It doesn't take a computer science degree to be a "computer worker" any more than it takes an automotive engineering degree to drive a bus. Totally BS analysis on your part.

In the end at least you admit the truth: there are plenty of americans qualified, you just want someone foreign who will work for less money.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It doesn't take a computer science degree to be a "computer worker" any more than it takes an automotive engineering degree to drive a bus. Totally BS analysis on your part.

In the end at least you admit the truth: there are plenty of americans qualified, you just want someone foreign who will work for less money.
? Which part is BS?

I have never denied the truth that H1B could be used to undercut American workers. It always has been. My point is it's not wide spread.

Plenty of Americans qualify but it's not enough to fill the voids. Like I said, most Americans with STEM degrees from accredited universities are employed and having well paid jobs. They aren't the ones being undercut.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 12-01-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 01:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
? Which part is BS?

I have never denied the truth that H1B could be used to undercut American workers. It always has been. My point is it's not wide spread.

Plenty of Americans qualify but it's not enough to fill the voids. Like I said, most Americans with STEM degrees from accredited universities are employed and having well paid jobs. They aren't the ones being undercut.
It may not be enough to fill the most technically demanding roles, but there certainly isn't 85k new technically demanding roles opening every year requiring us to import labor. H1Bs are currently used to fill positions from machine learning experts all the way to some of the least technically demanding roles such as grunts auditing in the big 4 accounting firms to Indian consulting firms importing H1Bs to do QA on cable boxes by flipping channels on a remote throughout the day. If that isn't abuse I don't know what is. Of course in the eyes of those that benefit this isn't abuse.

I'd say a simple solution is to let those that hire H1Bs put their money where their mouth is. Increase the application fee to 25k where all applications will be reviewed in detail and implement a random process requiring an in person interview of the hiring manager with a representative from the department of labor. Also starting base wage for Bachelors degree should be 150k, Masters 200k, and Phd 250k. When it's up for renewal in 3 years up that amount by 50k. And when it's time to apply for their green cards add another 50k. So by the beginning of the 7th year of their illustrious career the minimum an H1B bachelors degree holder should be making is 250k to qualify them to stay. These are very reasonable wages for extremely gifted people and this system would also weave out the unworthy as determined by their own employer. The rules will make sure that they pay what they say. Strict exceptions may be given to very small firms and non-profits with rules that should fortify the one and only intent of the H1B visa to bring in extraordinary talent not available in the US instead of being used to flood the market with cheap qualified bodies.

If they are as talented as companies claim they are 250k is chump change for someone with 7 years of experience. That's about the average salary of a senior software engineer at Netflix or some other top IT firms. And if they're aren't good enough to help us make our d**k pics disappear on the fly or as we zip up our fly by the 7th year, then they aren't talented at all. If you don't think that's fair then you obviously don't agree with the original intent of the H1Bs which have since been abused with the approval of our brought out politicians. I think bringing in the best of the best from around the world is a net positive for the US and it's workers. But I've been around the industry enough to know that the overwhelming majority of H1Bs are just above average and not what most would consider extremely talented.

I'm also sick of the H1B abuse from the fake interviews given to Americans used to justify the green card application of a H1B to the fake resumes that Indian consulting firms help H1Bs assemble and backup. It's pretty devious to have candidates come in thinking that they're interviewing for a job knowing that there is no job to offer them because it's just part of the process to "prove that we couldn't fill the position with an American" in order to obtain a green card for a H1B employee. I always wondered how many of those so called open unfillable positions are because of this scam. I've seen both ends of this process and it's despicable. I'm still surprised that no American HR whistle blower has ever come forward with a story, but I can't blame them since they want to keep their jobs as much as I do. Everyone's in on the H1B scam from the execs, hiring managers, lawyers, HR personnel, and the H1B candidate themselves. It sounds just like the mortage scam responsible for the near financial collapse of our country. Everyone was in on it from the execs, people involved in the securitization process, brokers, real estate salesperson, and the borrowers themselves yet no one involved would admit it.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-01-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I'm also sick of the H1B abuse from the fake interviews given to Americans used to justify the green card application of a H1B to the fake resumes that Indian consulting firms help H1Bs assemble and backup. It's pretty devious to have candidates come in thinking that they're interviewing for a job knowing that there is no job to offer them because it's just part of the process to "prove that we couldn't fill the position with an American" in order to obtain a green card for a H1B employee. I've seen both ends of this process and it's despicable. I'm still surprised that no American HR whistle blower has ever come forward with a story, but I can't blame them since they want to keep their jobs as much as I do. Everyone's in on the H1B scam from the execs, hiring managers, lawyers, HR personnel, and the H1B candidate themselves. It sounds just like the mortage scam responsible for the near financial collapse of our country. Everyone was in on it from the execs, brokers, real estate salesperson, and the borrowers themselves.
I've been the "diversity candidate" before.

Complaints were submitted to relevant state & federal agencies. I'm sure nothing happened to the company in question, which is a household name and a major dot.com company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies