Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 04:42 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think everyone who wants the woman kicked out of school is a racist or a bigot. If racism is prejudice plus power, then there are plenty of instances in which massive power is on the side of minority groups and that power can be abused just as easily as it can whenever anyone has power.

The people who want her kicked out are racist or bigots because they're not thinking about what is best for the majority, or what is best for an innocent person. They want to carpet bomb anything that looks inconvenient to them, regardless of who it harms, because they assume it will help their movement. The thing is, they don't even know it will help their movement, so that makes me assume the desire for the woman to be booted from school is mostly driven by bigotry.

The solution to people being unaware of how offensive things can be is to call them offensive...not to carpet bomb innocent people with extremely harmful punishments to make them into an example. If it's a business that did it, it might make sense to protest the business, or if it's a politician, it might make sense to not vote for the politician.
Just like I don't think this girl is racist or had ill intentions when she did this, I also don't think that the people that reacted to the picture and said she was being racist--are racist for wanting her to be reprimanded. I think there were some people that genuinely felt uncomfortable that someone that goes to school with them would think that this type of joke is funny, since from their pov both the word and the mask were a negative mockery of blacks, since in the past when these things were done by whites it was largely negative and due to racism. If the school did nothing, then these black kids would have felt that the school accepts--what some black students perceived when they saw this inside joke--to be racism. That's not a pleasant feeling--to feel like your in an environment where racism is acceptable. So I totally get why people wanted the University to investigate the matter and respond with a form of punishment. I don't know whether the people who complained wanted her to be kicked out--I think they just wanted something done that would illustrate that this isn't acceptable. Looking at it this way I don't necessarily agree with you that the students who wanted her punished were being racist. Not to mention the University made the decision to expel this girl--the students casting light on it, certainly had influence but in the end the students aren't the ones that made the call, the university did.

Most universities have policies(within student handbooks) where they take a no-nonsense stance to acts of racism or discrimination. There's also the belief that students are a reflection of the university, and so again I'm not surprised that the university no longer wanted her to attend. So I'm not surprised that she was punished beyond just being told it was offensive. I am in agreement that this act imo shouldn't have resulted in her being kicked out for good, especially considering what you and others have pointed out the after effects(this is now on record and will forever hurt her). I don't agree with you though that just telling her she's being offensive is the best way to have dealt with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 04:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNY101 View Post

No, this isn't "another one", this is the only one.

These girls should be kicked out of school. It's nothing like the example the OP posted about.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Just like I don't think this girl is racist or had ill intentions when she did this, I also don't think that the people that reacted to the picture and said she was being racist--are racist for wanting her to be reprimanded. I think there were some people that genuinely felt uncomfortable that someone that goes to school with them would think that this type of joke is funny, since from their pov both the word and the mask were a negative mockery of blacks, since in the past when these things were done by whites it was largely negative and due to racism. If the school did nothing, then these black kids would have felt that the school accepts--what some black students perceived when they saw this inside joke--to be racism. That's not a pleasant feeling--to feel like your in an environment where racism is acceptable. So I totally get why people wanted the University to investigate the matter and respond with a form of punishment. I don't know whether the people who complained wanted her to be kicked out--I think they just wanted something done that would illustrate that this isn't acceptable. Looking at it this way I don't necessarily agree with you that the students who wanted her punished were being racist. Not to mention the University made the decision to expel this girl--the students casting light on it, certainly had influence but in the end the students aren't the ones that made the call, the university did.

Most universities have policies(within student handbooks) where they take a no-nonsense stance to acts of racism or discrimination. There's also the belief that students are a reflection of the university, and so again I'm not surprised that the university no longer wanted her to attend. So I'm not surprised that she was punished beyond just being told it was offensive. I am in agreement that this act imo shouldn't have resulted in her being kicked out for good, especially considering what you and others have pointed out the after effects(this is now on record and will forever hurt her). I don't agree with you though that just telling her she's being offensive is the best way to have dealt with this.
Faith, with all due respect, I think you're giving way too much credit to some of the posters here.

They insist she's racist, knew what she was doing, and are adamant about her being kicked out of school. Then they go on to mock white women, which indicates they're racist. One is irrationally insisting she be called 'Miss' or 'Ma'am', as though she's earned some place of respect. (quite the opposite)

You seem like a caring, rational person and I'm sure you're trying to be peacemaker, but your interpretation of what they meant, doesn't quite fit with reality.

These haters are more racist than the woman being discussed, who is simply young, naive, and clueless.

You can't pretty that up.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
It is another one. You paint your face black and then say finally know how it feels to be a ******...

Or the student from Belmont university who also did a snapchat saying that those football players were ******s
And that they should have a bullet in there head.

Or this young lady painting her face black smiling and then saying black lives matter
https://www.facebook.com/tenaiya.jan...26938827335165
These three examples fit with the one you posted above. Nobody has proven this woman who is the subject of this thread had any racist intention. Some of the posters here are racist, as proven by their intentional posts.

You can go ahead and keep pushing that what she did was just as bad as the other examples you've provided, but all you'll do is end up with people whose eyes glaze over and then they stop caring at all. You know, the boy who cried wolf and all.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
You're equating theft, invasion of privacy, possible kidnapping/false imprisonment (by legal definition depending on the prosecutor's mood), and slander (for b**ch not black) with

...a Facebook post?

You didn't take law in college, did you?

Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post

Blaming your racism on me again, eh?. And I said you'll either address me with "miss" or "ma'am." There's something else I want to call you, but y'know...the whole infraction thing and what have you. Here's your white sheet and hooded cap. Go harass someone else with your bigotry. I'm sure they'll give you a warm reception.

That is RICH! What makes you think I'm racist? Because I called you out for being blatantly racist and now you are not even going to try and hide it.

This is America chick.... We are all Americans and your racist character and these issues effect this nation and me personally.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
The demeanor and comments from more than a few posters in this thread is downright amazing....

Old 09-21-2016, 06:08 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
It isn't appropriation if whites constantly tell Black people that they're 3/5 human
Sweetie, it's the 21st Century. Get with it.

Quote:
Those white girls are miserable because women of color aren't caving in to the "European standard of beauty" anymore.
No?

The women I see who've dyed their hair red, blonde, etc. -- what is it they're doing?

But nevermind ... I don't think I've ever met one white woman who was "miserable" because a black woman chose to sport a natural coiffure.

Get real, honey.

Quote:
You don't speak for Black people either, but yet you constantly comment on our issues. Just shut up and stay out of our business.
See, this kind of attitude is what perpetuates the racial divide. The smooth and harmonious function of society is ALL our business.

You what white people to stay out of your business? Do you have any idea of what the results would be? You don't think before you speak, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What is it with these young white women who are trying so hard to look like and be like us? Lip plumpers, butt injections and doing squats to get a larger tush, waist cinchers and waist training, deep dark tans, using black hair care products, joining (black) natural hair care forums etc., etc.
Damn! Are my big butt and thunder thighs really considered "trying so hard to look and be like us"? Do black women have a corner on big butts or something? Seriously?

Wait until my big-butted relatives of Italian heritage hear this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Stop focusing so much on race. You're part of the problem whether you think so or not and whether you like it or not.

Quote:
You'll not call me "chick," either. I'm not your damned subordinate.
And you can't tell other people what to do or say. Not to mention that you need a primer in American slang language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm just glad that the clueless chick was expelled. People like her have major entitlement issues and I'm glad that she was smacked in the face with a reality check.
Speaking of entitlement issues ...

Quote:
Tell that to the folks who've been appropriating different cultures for years (whites). Stop being an apologist for their actions.
Hasn't anyone told you that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? I think you need to get out more.

Quote:
Since when is the act of pointing out racial injustices, both blatant and subtle, playing the victim?
When it's baseless exaggeration or generalization. Another instance of you needing a dictionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
You have to be racist to put on a dark colored face mask and immediately think it would be a great idea to throw up mock gang signs and use the n-word. Not really a great surprise though, Kansas State is well known as a school that is full of hicks and hillbillies.
Ummmm ... There's the pot calling the kettle black.

Or is that a racist phrase?

Quote:
If I were racist, then I'd be benefiting economically from the misery of whites. But I'm not at all profiting from it, so no defective heart exists within my core.
Racism has nothing to do with profit. Please do us all a favor and go get that dictionary!

Quote:
Not the same at all. Good grief ...

Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Tell that to the folks who've been appropriating different cultures for years (whites). Stop being an apologist for their actions.
So, all black people should only wear traditional African attire? Asians should stop wearing western suits? By the way, in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, western suits, that all men wear, are actually called "western suits".

Should all the world stop using things created by white people, including devices and systems?

Did you even think at all about this crazy idea? Cultural appropriation is a STUPID concept.

Human beings have been trading goods and ideas since they started talking.

Why should certain cultures be immune to "appropriation"?

And if it isn't stupid enough, already, many of those screeching about/against "cultural appropriation" have their facts wrong.

Quote:
Once those girls spouted off a racial epithet, it became blackface. No excuses.
This is a risible opinion.

No racial epithet was spouted. Why? Because no judgment was made and there was nothing derogatory in the silly photo/post. The post/photo was not directed at anyone or any group as a message or agenda.

Its important to look at things in context. Context includes the cultural and popular memes of the time for the people/person doing the thing.

It takes an enormous stretch in logic and reason to imagine that the silly girls meant/intended anything at all derogatory by their post/photo.

Stop with the fake/ignorant outrage. Its not helping anyone.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
She admitted she did wrong. She even posted an apology on FB. https://www.facebook.com/paige.shoem...99?pnref=story
Riiiight.

She undoubtedly was sincere in that apology and did it completely of her own volition.

This witch-burning is sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies