Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 12:12 PM

38,965 posts, read 27,322,828 times

Advertisements

I think when the police start to behave as a paramilitary organisation (as is happening in parts of the US) it can be seen every time that they don't have the trust of the people and that leads to violence being the only tool they have.

a militarization of the police force is never good for the public. Because the public sees the police as an occupation army.

The military is trained to react to threats - real or perceived - as decisively as possible. Threats are eliminated by eliminating those who represent the threat. Quickly and decisively.

The police is, or should be trained, to de-escalate threats. Military and police department, they are two different organizations.

Like I posted earlier, I think a lot of combat troops know what the real threat is. The rules of engagement they follow in battlefield will (generally speaking) make it harder for them to view civilians as potential target or threat.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:59 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,601,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is what happens when the Police cease policing and become an occupying army.

I do not believe there were any guns or drugs involved in this incident that were not planted by the cops. The police are trained by each other to cover for each other no matter what. Being Blue is more important than decency or justice.
I suspect the same thing. When they realized just how bad this was, that his car broke down, he had no weapon whatsoever and the officer just plain shot him dead, I think planting things becomes a possibility.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,589,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Most drunks know the effects of alcohol and that they face jail for DUI, yet many of the get plastered, hop in their cars and make it a fair distance.

He MAY have thought he'd smoke just a little PCP, chill and then go home after he came down, but once he was high and not of sound mind, decided to head home.

Two things:
1. Pure conjecture on my part.
2. People shouldn't be shot because they are high.
That's true, but alcoholism is an addiction. People who are drunks NEED to have it. Now, I've done my share of LSD back in the 60s. Supposedly PCP has similar effects but is much more dangerous (I never tried it). BUT, I never felt that I HAD to have it. It certainly was not addicting.

Also, there's no such thing as doing a LITTLE PCP (or acid). Both cause hallucinations. I seriously doubt a 40 year old man would take something like that before getting into his car to drive.

We will see what the toxicology results are. If they prove positive for PCP I will be extremely skeptical.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:06 PM

23,298 posts, read 16,980,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think when the police start to behave as a paramilitary organisation (as is happening in parts of the US) it can be seen every time that they don't have the trust of the people and that leads to violence being the only tool they have.

a militarization of the police force is never good for the public. Because the public sees the police as an occupation army.

The military is trained to react to threats - real or perceived - as decisively as possible. Threats are eliminated by eliminating those who represent the threat. Quickly and decisively.

The police is, or should be trained, to de-escalate threats. Military and police department, they are two different organizations.

Like I posted earlier, I think a lot of combat troops know what the real threat is. The rules of engagement they follow in battlefield will (generally speaking) make it harder for them to view civilians as potential target or threat.
Maybe riots over rumors and lies spread about incidents and BLM advocating the murder of cops has someting to do with cops being put on edge. military response is needed for these riots.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:15 PM

38,965 posts, read 27,322,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Maybe riots over rumors and lies spread about incidents and BLM advocating the murder of cops has someting to do with cops being put on edge. military response is needed for these riots.
Sure, but in this case, I personally believe the death is avoidable. (just my opinion)

Like I said, I have several good friends are now working for LAPD. They were combat Marines.

A cop or a soldier, there is a mindset you have to have to effectively face that situation day in and day out and not lose your mind. If the cops must act like combat troops, then so be it.

But In this particular case, I doubt many officers would have acted the same way this female officer did.

There will always be shootings that shouldn't happen. This seems to be one of those cases, to me, I could be wrong.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:20 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,761,251 times
Quote:
On edge?

That's no excuse to be trigger happy or target black males.

If your knee gut reaction every time you are in a situation where you perceive that there is a threat, is to pull out your gun and kill someone, then you have no right being a law enforcement agent. Zero.

Perhaps these issues are happening b/c because the blood of innocent black males has been shed in the streets at the hands of many an ignorant, bigoted white people, whether it be police officers, or civilians..

If you can't find an example, think of the 12 year old Tamir Rice who was murdered in November of 2014. Think of that example when you wonder why people (of color) riot, are angry, and now see cops as globally bad in this country. Rioting is inexcusable; but the profound, wide spread, raging anger at the daily genocide of innocent blacks, is 10000% justified.

None.

Excuses...

Last edited by erjunkee; 09-21-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,855,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Would it have happened to a White male who behaved the same way? Good possibility that it would have. Do you or I perceive a threat from a 5'2 110 pound female that we might from a 6'3 240 pound male? I don't and that might be a fatal mistake, but it is what it is. We can play the what if game or the would have game all day and never agree.
The best thing is to comply with the police and let the lawyers figure it out. I personally believe that there are far too many cop related shootings. I think that there always were. The game changer is all the cell phones out there catching it.
I think most cops are good people trying to do the right thing. You have a percentage of bad cops. Those bad cops make all cops look bad. I would like a division of the FBI to be tasked with investigating every cop related shootings. I neutral party...
I agree with many that cop related shootings and crimes committed by cops are not treated the same way or with equal zeal as cops investigating a civilian for the same crime. That needs to change if we are going to restore our faith in the police.
No....the best thing is to demand that cops obey the law and respect our rights or find another line of work.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,589,859 times
Quote:
Nope.

Cops bad behavior came first. BLM and riots are only responding to decades of cops' bad behavior. If cops didn't murder Blacks with outright impunity there would be no need for BLM or riots.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:36 PM

20,561 posts, read 19,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Nope.

yep.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM

23,298 posts, read 16,980,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Nope.

Cops bad behavior came first. BLM and riots are only responding to decades of cops' bad behavior. If cops didn't murder Blacks with outright impunity there would be no need for BLM or riots.
Are you a science denier?

Have you checked the stats lately to see who kills more blacks?

Have you checked to see who saves more black lives than anyone else while putting themselves in danger??????

Forget the fact BLM was based on a lie about Furgeson and BLM has no interest in the daily slaughter of black men not shot by the police.

Pretty much every celebrity case was a perp resisting arrest.

So call for the murder of cops and expect them to la de da and play games with someone they encounter for whatever suspicious behavior they see???

BLM's agenda has nothing to do with police shooting black men ro black men shooting black men. The black men are on their own with no help from BLM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.