Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:50 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
As a non-American, I don't quite understand why people in America have those yard signs or bumper stickers.

I value privacy and don't think it's the public's business to know who I support. Is there a culture in America of wanting everyone to know your political views?
As an American, I never understood this either. To distill one's political (or religious, or cultural, etc) ideology down to a simple slogan, usually very shallow or far less clever than intended, then broadcast it to all via t-shirts, bumper stickers, yard signs...is odd to me.

I absolutely endorse anyone's right to do it; I just find it rather pointless. Even crass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
As a non-American, I don't quite understand why people in America have those yard signs or bumper stickers.

I value privacy and don't think it's the public's business to know who I support. Is there a culture in America of wanting everyone to know your political views?
I am American and don't quite understand why people in Americs have yard signs or bumper stickers.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
hmmm....maybe saving on time and effort to clutter the yards. Save the planet, keep it green

No candidate sign ever got me to vote for them.

I chose not to be registered anymore....tired of the data mining ...our area is saturated with a political party that I am not a fan of.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
As an American, I never understood this either. To distill one's political (or religious, or cultural, etc) ideology down to a simple slogan, usually very shallow or far less clever than intended, then broadcast it to all via t-shirts, bumper stickers, yard signs...is odd to me.

I absolutely endorse anyone's right to do it; I just find it rather pointless. Even crass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am American and don't quite understand why people in Americs have yard signs or bumper stickers.

Politics is actual WAR. It is the same as placing a target on your back.

In a time long ago, your house would have been burnt down by the opposition. You would be burned out.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:43 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that we have the freedom to publicly express our political views without fear, although it could ruin friendships though.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
I've seen two Trump bumper stickers, one Hillary for Prison bumper sticker, and zero yard signs. Despite being in blue-state NJ, our town is about equal numbers D and R, for whatever that's worth. Like middle-aged mom said, I think people are embarrassed. I wanted to vote 3rd party this year, but it seems Jill Stein gets crazier every day, and you've got Gary Johnson saying idiotic things like, "I'm glad no one got hurt" in reference to the trash can bombs and mall stabbing, and going ape--- over the term 'illegal immigrants'.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
In the little town we live in I've seen several Trump signs, 1 Johnson sign and no Hillary signs. Bumper stickers it's mostly Bernie and may be 1 or 2 Hillary when you go into one of the bigger neighboring towns.

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Slavery needs a catch phrase to make it more palatable.

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Saw a Trump bumper sticker and that is the extent of it.

Still see banners and posts up from the recent local elections for Mayor, Judges,etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I've seen two Trump bumper stickers, one Hillary for Prison bumper sticker, and zero yard signs. Despite being in blue-state NJ, our town is about equal numbers D and R, for whatever that's worth. Like middle-aged mom said, I think people are embarrassed. I wanted to vote 3rd party this year, but it seems Jill Stein gets crazier every day, and you've got Gary Johnson saying idiotic things like, "I'm glad no one got hurt" in reference to the trash can bombs and mall stabbing, and going ape--- over the term 'illegal immigrants'.
I am so glad that I am not the only one seeing this too. Jill Stein has an arrest warrant out on her also.
This has definitely been a crazy election season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies