Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

This map, not made by me, was based on historical ties mostly on a concept called "bioregionalism"
Attached Thumbnails
Has The Time Come To Carve It Up, And Into How Many Parts?-screen-shot-2016-09-21-8.20.04  

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 09-21-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Huh. No one wanted to talk about my image?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:43 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Apparently not, although the color coding is a bit weird. If I read it right here in Oregon...

I'd now be Canadian eh?

Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
It is not especially readable without State lines on it.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
You're not giving away a chunk of Texas!

Furthermore, I want to be included with at least Louisana and would like some of the other southern states with us.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:39 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Given the abysmally low approval ratings of both candidates of the major parties, I wouldn't say that they represent anything substantial. Perhaps they represent a media unwilling to do it's job and a political system that's become corrupt, but they don't represent the views of the country. Despite how it may seem, I still feel the average American is closer to the center than CNN and Fox would have you believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We are the United States of America and a country has never been so diverse as we are.
What might be part of the problem comes down to politics. There are states that are so far left that they defy logic to the ones that lean right and vice versa.

I can't remember a time when politics played such a roll in dividing us.

I have heard more than one person say that we are heading for a civil war along racial and religious lines.
Others have said that Mexico is slowly taking back the south west.
There are other areas that are being taken over by people who are not Americans. Prez Obama has a plan to move middle eastern refugees to Detroit and have them rebuild that city.

I think our country is already being divided up.
1861 was worse.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:46 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
If you truly allowed the country to be divided, assuming mostly based on those with more conservative values, versus those who are ultra liberal. I doubt this would come to pass, but for arguments sake, could you imagine the liberal side? They are fed and have fed on the more conservative side for decades. Who would they blame for their shortcomings? Who would fund their endless social programs? Would would create an environment where business could thrive and grow? It would be the ultimate test to show who is right.

My prediction, the more conservative side would become more powerful and thrive more than the country is today and the liberal side would fall into third world status and die within a few years.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:10 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
alaskaboy, you might want to rethink your conclusion.

How is Kansas doing?

Many Texans are just now learning that this wonder state sold by former Governor Perry was an illusion. The numbers did not include the contingent liability of pensions.

Those blue states are also the states supporting many poor red states.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
If you truly allowed the country to be divided, assuming mostly based on those with more conservative values, versus those who are ultra liberal. I doubt this would come to pass, but for arguments sake, could you imagine the liberal side? They are fed and have fed on the more conservative side for decades. Who would they blame for their shortcomings? Who would fund their endless social programs? Would would create an environment where business could thrive and grow? It would be the ultimate test to show who is right.

My prediction, the more conservative side would become more powerful and thrive more than the country is today and the liberal side would fall into third world status and die within a few years.
Aside from assumptions, what is the "prediction" actually based on? I mean "ultra-liberal" California would have the 6th largest economy in the world. Texas would be 11th, so you've got that, but it's followed by New York which would also be 11th (12th if Texas was actually a country, both of which would be pushed back one if California was actually a country).

Liberals, on average, actually have higher incomes than conservatives. Meaning liberals pay more in taxes than conservatives. I know this doesn't support the Breitbart meme of liberals wanting welfare to mooch off of the wealth earners, but you need to understand that not everyone who supports welfare is on welfare. And if you're wondering, it's only about a 6% difference in income. But there are more welfare recipients on welfare in red states than blue states. Also worth noting, half of welfare recipients are off of welfare within 2 years of receiving it.

If you want my opinion, it's unlikely that either country would actually preform significantly better.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Without the Federal spending most of the "Konservative" stated would bankrupt in a few years. Most are importers of Federal Money while the "liberal" states provide the surplus the right wingers live on.

So why not four divisions.

West Coast (California, Oregon and Washington)
Great Lakes coast (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio)
North East Coast (Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania)

The rest that could go back to timber cutting, oil production and growing fuel corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies