Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
First of all, Mr Trump is NOT suggesting we go after the family of this killer right now. good grief you people are nuts.

Second Mr. Trump never suggested we bomb AMERICANS IN AMERICA for being related to a suicide bomber.

What Mr. Trump was talking about is in the CULTURE of the ME Muslim, if a person blows themselves up, the family is revered and is taken care of with an annual income for life. This in itself leads people to choose terrorism to raise their prestige an that of their families.

We offered blood money also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:34 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You sound like one of those flag waving mericans . Dresden was a punitive civilian slaughter and there were plenty more of those where that came from. Two atomic bombs was not worried about civilians. Neither was the fire bombing.

Bleiburg.
Canicattì
Okinawa rapes
etc.

Lots of cover ups too.

No, sorry, this is a modern concept , post WWII. Its only because its so lopsided .
You probably don't understand what "practice a doctrine" means.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
At the time he said the wives and families of the 9/11 hijackers departed the US just days before 9/11.

This was a popular online conspiracy theory at the time.

None of the terrorists were married and had no extended family in the US.
link......

Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is a hard question to answer.

Do you go after Dylann Roof's whole family? Going after his family seems unfair to me. You don't expect his whole family knew what he was up to, do you?

This being said, Orlando terrorist Omar Mateen’s wife, Noor Zahi Salman, admitted to the FBI she had been with him when he purchased the ammunition and a holster for the gun. In one instance, she even drove her husband to the gay nightclub, Pulse, because “he wanted to scope it out.”

Yet Noor did nothing to prevent the tragedy.

she most certainly displayed criminal negligence and reckless disregard for 50 lost lives. She is responsible for her inaction and we need to send a powerful message that if you see something, say something and if you know something specific you must come forward.
Lily, if inclined, go back and take another look at the sources of the information about Noor Zahi Salman. Best I can tell, media cites "anonymous sources close to the investigation" which could mean anything.

So here we have sources hiding behind anonymous quotes and media hiding behind anonymous sources which creates a situation where anything can be said about anyone, at any time.

Then there are the sources close to Noor who claim Omar was on the verge of being outed as gay within his community and family and he flipped.

Maybe it's true. Maybe not.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:52 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
According to this article

She has spoken to the FBI, telling investigators that she accompanied Mateen to the Pulse nightclub at least once before the massacre. She also said she drove with him to purchase ammunition, and pleaded with him not to commit the shooting.

Salman has not been arrested, but if she had knowledge of the plot and failed to alert law enforcement, she could face criminal charges, including the intentional concealing of knowledge of a felony, aiding and abetting a crime, or even conspiracy to commit an act of terrorism, depending on her level of culpability. Federal authorities reportedly convened a grand jury in Florida on Wednesday to help investigate the shooting, and that would be a vehicle for filing federal charges against Salman.

Here's what we know about Noor Salman, the widow of the Orlando gunman - LA Times

I do believe she knew something and to be completely honest, I have no ideas why she has not been arrested.

I don't believe government should target family members because I don't believe people should be punished by perfect hindsight. I also don't believe in guilt by association.

Now, If you follow international news, you may have heard about how totalitarian states like North Korea punish political dissent. The process usually involves rounding up the offender plus all his family members and summarily executing them. The lucky ones get shipped off to prison camps for “re-education.” Fortunately, such guilt by association doesn’t exist in the American criminal justice system.

From a legal standpoint, the difference between guilt by association in criminal vs. security clearance cases is clear: the former is a deprivation of a constitutional right (liberty), while the latter is a privilege entirely within the government’s discretion to grant. You aren’t going to get very far arguing the constitutionality of guilt by association in a security clearance denial case. Fortunately, even if you do have some bad apples in the family, the cause is not lost.

All these being said, I know for a fact that in some circumstances, your bad family member can affect your security clearance.

Familial bonds can sometimes cloud judgment – one of the key reasons why guilt by association is such an issue in security clearance cases. You really need to check your loyalty and judgement.

So I think it is a very complicated issue with no clear answers.

I don't think Mr. Trump is entirely wrong here if he meant "loosen the rules of engagement" in the battle field.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong though.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is a hard question to answer.

Do you go after Dylann Roof's whole family? Going after his family seems unfair to me. You don't expect his whole family knew what he was up to, do you?

This being said, Orlando terrorist Omar Mateen’s wife, Noor Zahi Salman, admitted to the FBI she had been with him when he purchased the ammunition and a holster for the gun. In one instance, she even drove her husband to the gay nightclub, Pulse, because “he wanted to scope it out.”

Yet Noor did nothing to prevent the tragedy.

she most certainly displayed criminal negligence and reckless disregard for 50 lost lives. She is responsible for her inaction and we need to send a powerful message that if you see something, say something and if you know something specific you must come forward.
I agree with this.

I will also point out in regard to the Orlando club shooter that there were Muslims at his mosque who alerted the FBI that he was a threat so it is not like all Muslims in the US are ignoring terrorism or suspicious activity.

But if we are going to start going after families, one should not leave out non-Muslim terrorists and their families as well.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:22 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,326 times
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies