Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 AM

10,247 posts, read 6,341,740 times

Advertisements

How the question was asked can matter. Do you personally own guns? No, which is the truth. Does anyone in your household own guns? I would have to honestly say yes, but I would also answer don't know how many.

You cannot expect other people to lie for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 AM

35,755 posts, read 21,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm guessing it is a shotgun.

Bird hunt with shot and deer and human hunt, with slugs....
My Grandma was like that. She loved her 12 gauge. Much better than the 8 gauge she use to shoot.
no-- Beretta PX4

Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 AM

45,514 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
So if you own 8 or more guns, you're a "super-owner?" They could easily change the term to "hunter" as it's fairly typical for a hunter to own several different types of firearms for hunting large game, small game, etc.
Geese and pheasant-12 gauge.

Ducks, dove and grouse-16 gauge.

Rabbits, squirrels, quail-16 or 20 gauge. Sometimes a .410.

Deer-any of the three numbered gauges or a .32 Winchester.

Rats-.22.

I need to get the new Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:28 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,010,467 times
I wouldn't be surprised at a number like 10%, but 3% can't be right. Most gun owners I know own multiple guns. I'm sure there are quite a few collectors out there that own hundreds of firearms, but it still wouldn't counter all the typical gun owners like myself that owns over 20 firearms.

I got about half my guns from an inheritance just like a lot of gun owners do. The other half I've purchased over the last 20 or so years. I often carry concealed, so I have multiple handguns to adjust to my clothing choice and weather. I carry a small 32 pocket pistol 90% of the time, but I do own a couple sub-compact 9mm's for colder weather carry, a 22 mag mini revolver floating the river or kayaking, and a large frame 357 revolver for camping or hiking. I also have acquired a handful of 22 target pistols and rifles for plinking over the years as well as an AK47 with a few thousand rounds of sealed ammo as an insurance policy that I hope I never have to use. It's really easy to buy 10 or more firearms over a long period of time even for someone that's not a gun-nut.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:28 AM

47,015 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Maybe in Boston Massachusetts.
Get away from urbanville and the number goes to 95%
Ehm, if 95% own half of all guns, the remaining 5% will own the other half. In other words, you're kinda making the survey's point. Is that what you intended?

That being said, yeah - if people have been truthful in their bragging about their arsenals, obviously some militia types have stockpiled. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of the upswing in weapons sales (OMG! Obama is coming for your guns!) was due to a lot people adding to their collection.

Still, the 3% figure doesn't really pass the smell test from here. 20% I'd be willing to believe without hesitation.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times
I wonder if the survey used mostly 212 area codes for its survey area?

Old 09-20-2016, 09:36 AM

50,467 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm, if 95% own half of all guns, the remaining 5% will own the other half. In other words, you're kinda making the survey's point. Is that what you intended?

That being said, yeah - if people have been truthful in their bragging about their arsenals, obviously some militia types have stockpiled. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of the upswing in weapons sales (OMG! Obama is coming for your guns!) was due to a lot people adding to their collection.

Still, the 3% figure doesn't really pass the smell test from here. 20% I'd be willing to believe without hesitation.
The biggest uptick in firearms sales is from the bans at the State level which always include some type of deadline. Ammo shortages are driven by political scare tactics of which we've seen many over the last few years.

So ya, if you tell people, in no other words, if you want to buy an AR, you better do it now because we are going to ban it. And WOW, people then proceed to buy them. What an awesome sales tactic.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 AM

47,015 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I actually heard a story about how thieves are breaking into houses that fly the American flag because they think it is likely that they will find a gun inside.
Guns are fairly expensive, portable, eminently sellable and very useful in a criminal career. Coming across a gun collection when breaking and entering has to be a bit of a jackpot.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Just 3 Percent of Americans Own Almost Half of Country

First off, who tells random strangers how many firearms they have? Gold bars? Cash in the safe?

Just 3% of Americans own nearly half of all guns, survey finds

They could have done a better estimation, by counting hunting licenses.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Guns are fairly expensive, portable, eminently sellable and very useful in a criminal career. Coming across a gun collection when breaking and entering has to be a bit of a jackpot.

A gun is the same as currency. Not in its use, but in its value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies