Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
to discriminate based solely on a person's religion?

would be curious to know the legal aspect of this. he's posted a sign but, as far as we know, hasn't actually discriminated. does the law distinguish between the two?
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is explicit. Restaurants cannot refuse service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion or natural origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Liberals would be in full support of a business that had a anti-Christian sign.
Really?

Are all Christians Conservative ?

Nothing like using a broad brush, eh.

Says more about you than Christians or Liberals.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is explicit. Restaurants cannot refuse service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion or natural origin.
Did he refuse service to any muslims?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I would support him and leave a $20 tip for a cup of coffee.

Imagine, having a place to eat where you didn't have to worry about personal safety that some idiot would stand up and start shooting. A bacon strip over every doorway!
If only there was a " safe space" like that everywhere.

In the US, you are more likely to find yourself a victim of a mass shooting by a non- Muslim than be a victim of an Act of Terrorism.

You are substantially more likely to be involved in a serious auto accident than a mass shooting.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Did he refuse service to any muslims?
Don't know.

The sign serves to discourage someone of Muslim faith from entering.

How would owner determine which patrons were Muslim?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:15 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If it were me I would be sure to have a bacon special on the menu everyday.
The historical precedence you're looking for are the ever-so-lovely signs posted outside the higher-class resorts before WWII. All it took was a simple little post saying "Pork served on Saturdays", and those - undesirables - would know that they'd probably be happier if they found a place that catered to their kind.

Besides, you couldn't very well have Jews use the same swimming pool as the rest of the guests, could you?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Some would. People should stop and think really hard before clapping their hands at this kind of sign. I am as sick of Islamic extremism as anyone on this board, but with the more and more anti-religion track western society is on, how long until "No Muslims" becomes "No Jews", "No Christians", "No Buddists", etc...

Deny rights to one you will eventually deny rights to all.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
I can see you're already assuming the martyr mantle. How did you get that third nail in?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I wonder the same thing. I doubt the business owner can legally do such a thing, but I could be wrong.

"we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" is legal, but this "anyone" cannot be based on sexual orientation, gender, religious belief I think. The business owner obviously took a risk.
Most of the people that post signs like this are located in rural and/or very White communities. For instance, this restaurant is located in Lonsdale, MN in the middle of freaking nowhere with a population just under 3,700 and is 96% White. I seriously doubt there are any Muslims living there or that anyone there has even encountered anything Islamic beyond what they read on the internet.

It's just an ignorant hick displaying his ignorance and fear of something that he does not understand.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:39 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
I would like to open a restaurant with a prominent sign in front saying

NO GOD DAMNED CHURCH-GOERS ALLOWED IN THIS PLACE OF BUSINESS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies