Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times

Advertisements

I would suggest you do a google search for riots in America. Find the cause of those riots and report back. This issue is as old as America itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:06 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskin View Post
1. Frustration builds up and eventually boils over. Keep in mind that these are less educated black people in poverty stricken areas, and a lot of whom feel as though there is no suitable outlet for their frustrations whether you view them as legitimate or not.

2. Non gang members in the Aa community loathe gangs. But gangs aren't given the authority that officers of the law are. That makes their discriminatory practices unacceptable.

3. As a young black male I feel as though I have been targeted unfairly by the police several times. We all have or have a close relationship with someone who has. We can relate and understand that our particular situations could have easily escalated through no or very little fault of our own. Also, police narratives are often misleading or downright false.

4. We vote democrat not because we have inherent belief in the party. We do because we know a disproportionate percentage of blacks live in poverty. We want the youth in poverty to have a chance to succeed even if the parent is a lost cause. If a child goes to bed hungry one night, he/she will stretch or ignore morals the next night for a meal. Also parents political beliefs are often passed to their offspring (civil rights act) Plus the alternative has given us no reason to rethink any of this. I could go on.

5. I think this is overstated, but with that in mind we perceive situations differently because we've had different experiences. I don't have esp but I do believe that there are a lot of people who are inherently racist and a majority of them don't realize it. Thus they get offended when called on it because they honestly believe it doesn't apply.

6. We want to be safe yet not discriminated against or targeted.

7. Not that simple. We are more prone to gravitate toward crime when positive opportunities are scarce. And eventually when you hear a particular narrative for so long you may start to believe it and the situation becomes a perpetual downward spiral. But alas yes whites are more likely to commit particular crimes and are punished less severely if/when they are caught. Because we are all need profiled by officers whether you choose to believe it or not.
Thank you for a thoughtful response. I see that this is your first post on c-d, so welcome to the forum. As you can see, several other regular posters chose to answer in a less than helpful and argumentative manner. I don't waste my time with them.
Let me ask you a follow up. Whenever another police shooting is immediately followed with a protest, many white people think that the black response is automatic, regardless of the facts. It almost seems that any black shot by police is considered innocent by black leaders. Will we ever see a BLM spokesperson say, ' We agree that the individual that was shot by police is a bad guy with an extensive police record, and since the evidence shows that he was not cooperating with the cops orders, and was acting in a threatening manner, we feel the shooting was justified.' Maybe this has happened and the media did not find it newsworthy. Maybe Al Sharpton has said this once or twice himself. I tend to doubt it.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times
I didn't know the 90% of black Americans who aren't in jail or rioting, and are otherwise going about their day-to-day business like everyone else were responsible for answering for other black people.

Should a woman start a thread towards "reasonable thinking American men" about why men sexual assault and rape?

Old 09-21-2016, 03:28 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I didn't know the 90% of black Americans who aren't in jail or rioting, and are otherwise going about their day-to-day business like everyone else were responsible for answering for other black people.

Should a woman start a thread towards "reasonable thinking American men" about why men sexual assault and rape?
Go ahead, knock yourself out.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
"Reasonable, thinking" black people aren't BLM members out there looting, burning their neighborhoods and assaulting cops and innocent people. Most working, thinking, professional blacks (IMO) think the same of BLM as most people do-that they are violent morons looking for an excuse to riot, rage and loot. And not all BLM members are black-I see plenty of low IQ white people involved with their "protests".

What IS sad is that the acts of BLM idiots are far too often projected on to innocent black people that want nothing to with them. Much like the acts of a handful of idiots like the KKK are "projected" on to much of the white population.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
All very valid questions. Don't expect logical answers from the people you're addressing though!
But he's not addressing the people who could best answer the questions. He had questions for "reasonable thinking" black Americans. What makes him think that reasonable black Americans have been out there rioting or at home supporting it? When the riots were taking place here in Baltimore, I was at home with my family as were most white people. Why does he think that reasonable black Americans aren't teaching their kids to respect the police, and all authority figures, for that matter? I teach my kids to respect all of those figures. I won't bother with the rest of your questions. Many "reasonable thinking" black people are getting tired of others thinking they should provide answers on behalf of the rest of our race.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:45 PM

148 posts, read 137,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Thank you for a thoughtful response. I see that this is your first post on c-d, so welcome to the forum. As you can see, several other regular posters chose to answer in a less than helpful and argumentative manner. I don't waste my time with them.
Let me ask you a follow up. Whenever another police shooting is immediately followed with a protest, many white people think that the black response is automatic, regardless of the facts. It almost seems that any black shot by police is considered innocent by black leaders. Will we ever see a BLM spokesperson say, ' We agree that the individual that was shot by police is a bad guy with an extensive police record, and since the evidence shows that he was not cooperating with the cops orders, and was acting in a threatening manner, we feel the shooting was justified.' Maybe this has happened and the media did not find it newsworthy. Maybe Al Sharpton has said this once or twice himself. I tend to doubt it.
I gave actual thoughtful responses to your questions and I asked a few of my own. That's not argumentative. If these are issues that truly concern you, are you doing any research on them other than posting in this mostly white forum?? Are you talking to the black people in your life and asking these questions??

Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 PM

148 posts, read 137,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
1. With the history of black people and police in America, police are not trusted. And we've seen the cases where they have lied and covered up things that sent men to prison for years. Even in the Tulsa case the story continues to change from day to day (was she scared? did she mean to use her taser? Was the window open or closed?) So black folks are less likely to believe the police version of events.

And two of the points BLM tries to make are
1.) Police sometimes escalate situations unnecessarily. Why is the burden of staying completely calm, cool and collected on the UNTRAINED civilian? Police are trained to handle aggressive encounters, normal everyday people are not. Diffusing the tense situation should not fall on the civilian.

2.) Even criminals should get their day in court. Disobeying an order is not a reason to be summarily shot in the street. And the threshold for "my life was in danger" needs to be more than a feeling. As a civilian if someone threatened your life but was not actively trying to kill you and you shot them - you would go to jail. Why are police above that?

Old 09-21-2016, 04:25 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
OP, you are over thinking this. The people that do this everytime are the free s*** brigade. It's no more complicated than that. It's not as if looting white people hair, liquor and Ipads from Walmart is some profound social statement.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post

And two of the points BLM tries to make are
1.) Police sometimes escalate situations unnecessarily. Why is the burden of staying completely calm, cool and collected on the UNTRAINED civilian? Police are trained to handle aggressive encounters, normal everyday people are not. Diffusing the tense situation should not fall on the civilian.

2.) Even criminals should get their day in court. Disobeying an order is not a reason to be summarily shot in the street. And the threshold for "my life was in danger" needs to be more than a feeling. As a civilian if someone threatened your life but was not actively trying to kill you and you shot them - you would go to jail. Why are police above that?
In the vast majority of cases it is "more than a feeling". It is years of training and experience that go into making that call. A person with a gun in their hand and within reasonable handgun range can point and fire in about 1/2 second. A person with a knife can cover 10 feet within a second or so. Until a cop can assess the situation-he has EVERY reason to identify every unknown person armed with a weapon as a potentially lethal threat. That is little different than a citizen with a concealed carry permit. The distance for a justified shooting of a person approaching you with a knife is 21 feet. Neither a civilian or a cop has to wait for a criminal to shoot or stab them to defend their life.

All of which DOES create an awkward situation for a good guy with a weapon-of any race. That is why the ONLY choice is to FOLLOW the commands of the LEO and diffuse the situation. The LEOs first goal is to go home alive at the end of shift. Don't run at them, don't reach into a vehicle, don't point that gun in your hand at them. No sudden moves. Exactly like with a concealed carrier that has the drop on you. Pretty simple...but beyond the grasp of some it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies