Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 02:45 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Stop and Frisk is without probable cause is unconstitutional

Just being black or Mexican is not enough to stop and frisk
That's your opinion. I disagree. It might be all that is needed depending on the circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 03:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The fourth amendment I think is more designed to protect your home and business. If you are out in public, walking on public sidewalks and driving on public highways you are not subject to the same rights as if you were at home.

I am for profiling and random searches. If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck...search it. Protect the citizens.

Thousands and thousands of people killed in Chicago might mean nothing to you, and it may mean less to me but it does say something about our society. I would much rather all people learn to respect each other and stop killing each other.

If stop and frisk saves lives it's worth it.
Again....this is the same argument the gun control lobby uses.

You agree there also?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:22 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
I sure there has to be reasonable cause and most PD know exactly who are the trouble makers. Its not just if , but when these people will assault or rob a citizen.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:51 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then their training sucks as the vast majority of people stopped ended up going on their way.

crime went down overwhelming in NEW YORK CITY, the biggest city in the U.S.A.......I say it works.

Of the 24 million interactions that New York police officers have with the public each year, about 500,000 — or 2 percent — involve a stop. The average officer on patrol makes about one stop every two weeks, hardly an excessive number.
A black Brooklyn detective with nearly 20 years on the job recently told the Daily News, “Stop-and-frisk is never about race. It’s about behavior.” If an officer sees someone acting in a manner that suggests a crime is afoot, he or she has an obligation to stop and question that person. That’s Policing 101, and it’s practiced all over the country. The difference is that in New York — unlike in many other cities — police officers are required to fill out a form every time they make a stop, identifying why the stop was made and the race of the person.

now if you only want the police to come out when the crime has already been committed then the criminals have won and why bother.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's your opinion. I disagree. It might be all that is needed depending on the circumstance.
In high crime areas you are going to have more minorities frisked simply because they are the super majority in high crime areas.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:58 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
In high crime areas you are going to have more minorities frisked simply because they are the super majority in high crime areas.

Good Point.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
crime went down overwhelming in NEW YORK CITY, the biggest city in the U.S.A.......I say it works. Of the 24 million interactions that New York police officers have with the public each year, about 500,000 — or 2 percent — involve a stop. The average officer on patrol makes about one stop every two weeks, hardly an excessive number.
A black Brooklyn detective with nearly 20 years on the job recently told the Daily News, “Stop-and-frisk is never about race. It’s about behavior.” If an officer sees someone acting in a manner that suggests a crime is afoot, he or she has an obligation to stop and question that person. That’s Policing 101, and it’s practiced all over the country. The difference is that in New York — unlike in many other cities — police officers are required to fill out a form every time they make a stop, identifying why the stop was made and the race of the person. now if you only want the police to come out when the crime has already been committed then the criminals have won and why bother.
Not so fast...

In New York, the practice of stop-and-frisk is usually associated with Raymond Kelly's second stint as New York's police commissioner, which began in 2002. The number of stops recorded by New York police increased from 97,000 to 161,000 that year, and then nearly doubled the following year, according to police data obtained by the New York Civil Liberties Union.

At that time, New York City's crime rate of violent crime was already in decline. In 1990, there were nearly 31 homicides in the city for every 100,000 people — more than the average for other major American cities even in a year of frequent violence across the country. A decade later, that figure had declined by nearly 75 percent, to 8.4 homicides per 100,000 people. As New York police abruptly moved away from the practice of stop-and-frisk toward the end of Kelly's tenure in 2013, the rate of homicide continued to decline as it had previously. "To say that stop-and-frisk is the reason crime went down is wrong," said Peter Moskos, a former Baltimore police officer who is now a sociologist at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...data-disagree/

Old 10-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then their training sucks as the vast majority of people stopped ended up going on their way.
yep, in most years 89-91% of the people detained were innocent.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I sure there has to be reasonable cause and most PD know exactly who are the trouble makers. Its not just if , but when these people will assault or rob a citizen.
then why were so few who were stopped completely innocent?
  • In 2012, New Yorkers were stopped by the police 532,911 times
    473,644 were totally innocent (89 percent).
    284,229 were black (55 percent).
    165,140 were Latino (32 percent).
    50,366 were white (10 percent).
  • In 2013, New Yorkers were stopped by the police 191,558 times.
    169,252 were totally innocent (88 percent).
    104,958 were black (56 percent).
    55,191 were Latino (29 percent).
    20,877 were white (11 percent).

Stop-and-Frisk Data | New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) - American Civil Liberties Union of New York State

Old 10-01-2016, 04:14 PM

21 posts, read 9,139 times
Default No

By the way he said certain city areas. I am not for this but if it is imposed in certain areas I would vote for that. We have to do a better Job in protecting the innocent people from those that have bad intentions. Detained sounds like held in jail or something. They where stopped and frisked. Yes there are going to be innocent people stopped if stop and frisk is in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies