Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Two feelings: embarrassed, because I labored for years under a false assumption. Also sad, because common ground is a good thing in theory, and I am also needing to accept that some siblings and I have nothing in common other than same parents.....talk about end of a chapter....

Your missing a huge point. Many libs here have accepted what you said and reached out to you out of a sense of empathy and concern. We are motivated out of a sense of reaching out to a fellow American, not for our own good but for your good. Libs here, like me, have reached out to you with friendship and concern for you. You know why, your beliefs only indicate an alienation that doesn't hurt us but hurts you. Being unable to even want to fellowship with others who you feel are " Other " is so unhealthy and will cause you unhappiness. I don't want anyone to be that unhappy. Hope you consider our words. I won't say anything about this issue. God Bless, from a lib likely from the wrong denomination.

Last edited by bxlover; 09-26-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I find many leftists gets pets and treat them as children INSTEAD of having kids. It points to the traditional family issue.

Interesting point. Is it possible that many on the left hold off having children until their career is more successful and then they can't conceive?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Your missing a huge point. Many libs here have accepted what you said and reached out to you out of a sense of empathy and concern. We are motivated out of a sense of reaching out to a fellow American, not for our own good but for your good. Libs here, like me, have reached out to you with friendship and concern for you. You know why, your beliefs only indicate an alienation that doesn't hurt us but hurts you. Being unable to even want to fellowship with others who you feel are " Other " is so unhealthy and will cause you unhappiness. I don't want anyone to be that unhappy. Hope you consider our words. I won't say anything about this issue. God Bless, from a lib likely from the wrong denomination.
I don't know why you guys are even bothering. That poster is a joke, I thought people figured that out.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Liberals will not accept you unless you are 100% like them. Chick fil A is a company that is known for paying high wages by fast food standards and treating their employees very well. They do a lot of charity work. Yet because Dan Cathy voiced his opposition to gay marriage, liberals boycott the company. Walmart has taken liberal steps in removing the Confederate flag from its website, and even removing an Israeli soldier Halloween costume (because muslims were offended), yet liberals still hate Walmart over their union policies. There's one exception, though. Liberals welcome Muslim refugees with open arms and support Palestine even though those societies are the most sexist and homophobic in the world. They also like Europe, forgetting much of Europe is actually very tough on illegal immigration.
yeah, sure except I'm about as liberal as they come and I do occasionally eat at Chick Fil A. Perhaps you shouldn't generalize. I have conservative friends and probably agree with them on 80% of the issues, when it come to the issues we don't agree on we can still discuss them without being rude or hurtful

Old 09-26-2016, 08:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Interesting point. Is it possible that many on the left hold off having children until their career is more successful and then they can't conceive?
wow...just wow

Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't know why you guys are even bothering. That poster is a joke, I thought people figured that out.
Not the point. We should always try to reach out and be kind. Nothing more decent than that. I am a Christian so forgive me. One thing Jesus said was " To visit the prisoners and befriend them ". He is a prisoner of his outlook, trapped behind bars of his own creation. So I have paid a friendly visit. Its entirely up to him to be trapped any further.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Not the point. We should always try to reach out and be kind. Nothing more decent than that. I am a Christian so forgive me. One thing Jesus said was " To visit the prisoners and befriend them ". He is a prisoner of his outlook, trapped behind bars of his own creation. So I have paid a friendly visit. Its entirely up to him to be trapped any further.
Some people aren't worth the effort.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:54 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Modern society does follow liberalism. This is true. And yeah, that's why gay people are getting married, which I'm gather you think is a personal attack on you or something. Liberalism also ended slavery. It gave women rights. It gave people the ability to decide who governs them. Do you actually know what liberalism is, or more accurately, why it is? It's a critique of the feudal system. That's it. Liberalism has some core tenants, like the introduction of contract law, rights, democracy; things like that. But ultimately, these things became valued because of the flaws in the feudal system.

And naturally, this effects our culture. And religion is nothing but an expression of culture. The protestant reformation is, really, the beginning of the Enlightenment. It was the first critique of the feudal system. The first big one anyway. It asked "why does the church just get to have this power? Why is it above criticism?" This question was essential.

So yes, what was taboo back when you were a child (when murder rates were higher than they are now, I assure you unless you were a child in the 50s or 60s, in which case they're fairly close but still slightly lower... or were a child in 1900, in which case, they are still higher, but I doubt you 120 years old) is no longer taboo. The world is in constant change. I'm sorry you just now realized that.

In order for this conversation to be productive though, I'll finish by asking again: what sins are you referring to and why are they bad?
I assume you know there are two versions of "liberalism": the classic kind you speak of, going back centuries, and the modern version (of the last 75-100 years), which has almost nothing to do with the old kind and is many ways its exact opposite. You are conflating the two.
For thousands of years, gay marriage (to cite your example) was a non.....well, a non-EVERYTHING. The concept itself did not even exist. It is only in the last fifty years (and really only in the last twenty) that we have been "enlightened". Obviously, this is a radical change; twenty years is but a blink of an eye in the scale of human history and culture. How do such changes happen, in such a short time (as many other changes have)?? It's either because humans have suddenly moved from pure ignorance to true Enlightenment, in a heartbeat, OR that something else is going on. I think it's the latter: it's the new, devout worship of modern-day liberalism which explains such changes.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Some people aren't worth the effort.

When I was younger as a teen, I had a period of being very alienated. Not like him, but I was socially alienated. It was kindness of others, many of them very liberal, agnostic, and bleeding heart teachers, and staunch right wing bible thumping teachers that helped me. So I am grateful to both and am grateful they reached out. We all I think been that person who needed a kind word.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:58 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
I don't understand why the OP's premise has all of you lefty's knickers in a bunch. So he doesn't want to associate with you. Most of you probably would rather hang out with other fellow lefty travelers yourself.

The two political factions are increasingly self-segregating. This thread isn't exactly a revelation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies