Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:46 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some one espousing Christian values you sure seem to have a hate on for these so called lefists.
It's certainly a temptation (especially when leftists are lying, hurting people, etc).
I pray all the time to not fall into the trap of hating. Not perfect, but I try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 10:49 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
That's a depressing thought. I have at least some things in common with any human.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
That's a depressing thought. I have at least some things in common with any human.
As stated, I am not talking about things like "we all eat" or "we all live on earth".....talking about values and beliefs.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:02 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I know, I know--we are supposed to "find our shared humanity". And "work to find common ground".
But after many years of ignoring the sad truth, I have to admit: leftists and I do not HAVE any common ground. Not the most basic of values, no interests, no goals-----nothing.
This is hard for me to say, as I have several leftist family members.
(Oh, and I was a hardcore leftist myself for ten years or so... so I do know a bit about "both sides").
Sounds like a personal problem to me...

I am more central and I can find common ground with pretty much anyone. But there are some people who refuse to. You sound like one of those people.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:22 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
After all of these pages, still nothing? I'm to the point where I despise just about all liberals anymore because of how arrogant and stupid they act, but even then, I have some things (to a certain extent) in common with them.

Most of the music that I really like is not typically listened to by Republicans that I have met.

I am not a believer in man-made climate change, nor do I buy in to the extremist envirolunatic beliefs, but I do think we need to make more of an effort to keep our waters clean, bring more forests back, leave more space for the wild animals. (But I don't believe that we should have government regulate business - let the people vote with their wallets, I understand, (even though I hate it) why hunting is a good thing to control those wild populations, and I realize that some things man cannot improve on no matter how full of himself he is, let nature do what nature is going to do and stop touching everything.) I actually live by what I say whereas many liberals who claim to love the environment are just as wasteful and filthy as anyone else...so I will point out their hypocrisy if they claim to "love and want to protect" the environment.

I do believe that our animals need to be treated humanely. I'm talking about the animals that are raised for consumption. I understand it will cost more...I don't care. They are not "dumb" creatures that don't know any better. They aren't humans, they don't rationalize like we do, they don't cry tears, etc but they know damn good and well when they are free, when they are doomed, and they know suffering. We need to treat them humanely. I'm not saying "don't eat meat"...I eat meat. I will always eat meat, but there is no reason other than financial greed for an animal to suffer the way some farm animals do. It's not acceptable.

I get that some people in this world fall through the cracks. Not everyone who is in need is a stoned out, drunk loser who didn't apply himself in life. Not everyone that needs help is disabled or elderly. Sometimes there are physically capable people out there who, for whatever many of reasons find themselves absolutely destitute, and in some cases, it is in spite of how hard they have worked but could never seem to catch a break, get ahead, stop being clobbered by bad luck. It happens. Denying that doesn't make it go away. We also are not addressing that while physically capable, it doesn't always mean fully mentally capable - and that doesn't mean stupid or slow, it means all kinds of undiagnosed mental disorders that cause problems, especially adults, in the work place, in social interactions, etc. Even something like ADHD can cause a world of issues at work, school, interactions...and if left untreated or undiagnosed, can lead to depression which is whole other mental issue that has to be dealt with. At the same time, I know that there's a lot of leeches and welfare queens who gloat about living on other peoples money - the fact is, more people are leeching than those who are able bodied who genuinely need some help. I also realize that "help" needs a time frame and it needs to be earned.

I don't believe that all cops are bad, but I do believe that our police forces, overall, are getting way too militarized. They look like soldiers on a battle field more than cops on the beat. I also agree that not every single incident with a cop is the cop's fault, but there's enough where the cop way overstepped his/her bounds that it should concern everyone. Yes, comply in many cases, but there's also a time to stand up for your Constitutional rights and not bowl over like a damn coward.

I hate pot. It is the most vile, disgusting, stankest product and where I live, you can smell it in the air all the time because I'm in a state right now, (not forever), that allows people to smoke it for "medical" reasons. Just as predicted, suddenly everyone has a "medical" reason that they need their pot. The f-en neighborhood reeks. You don't get a nice, sweet smelling evening, you got pot laced stench. And I also realize what damn hypocrites liberals are that they cried and b*tched for years about cigarettes but pot? Oh, no, that's "totally different". Morons. On the other hand, if they want to destroy themselves with drugs...let them. The government should not be getting involved..at least on a federal level. Each state should be making these decisions.

I also think that it's time for wages to increase. Everything has gone up in price/cost except our wages. In the year 2000, 16 years ago, I did a job for a certain wage....today, that very same job pays LESS than it did 16 years ago. But the rent, food, electric, goods, everything has gone up. There's a problem. It needs to be fixed. I'm with the libs on that...there IS a problem. Their answer is wrong, however. The fact is, you will always find someone willing to work for that lower wage. Forcing a business to raise their wages is going to cut out even more jobs, cut out benefits, etc. A business will always pass their losses down. Until libs face that reality, and realize that all the b*tching in the world is not going to change that reality, we're not going to come to a good solution because they will always get in the way of a good solution if it's not "raise the wage up to ridiculous $ per hour". So yes, there's a problem, no, they don't have the right answer.

As you can see, I do agree with some of their concerns. I just don't agree with how they go about fixing those concerns. If we could ever get back to being a country where the people have respect for each other and stop acting like their neighbor is the enemy, maybe we could actually focus long enough to take out the corruption. Unfortunately, both sides think the other is the corrupt one. The reality is, both sides ARE the corrupt ones. One side, this year, still wants to vote for more corruption while complaing about corruption.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-08-2016 at 11:31 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
I am sorry, you don't get to limit the board subjects to nice, comfy subjects that YOU like. No one forces you to read anything.
Oh, and as stated earlier, I know leftism from the inside out. I was as brainwashed as they come.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Which is weird, because you've been SO receptive to everything else...

I have no problem with the topic. Discussing value differences between the right and the left is interesting to me. My problem is with you. Despite my pointing out that your view on leftists is unjust, you continue to ignore that. You're the problem. The topic is engaging which is why I posted on it. I actually don't generally bother posting in the really BS mindless topics, and if I do, it's to put the issue in perspective. But you are not capable of debate. You're too arrogant to even attempt to properly grasp someone else's view point. Take the bit on tradition. You say liberals hate traditions, which is not true. I'd argue that it's technically impossible to hate tradition, as everyone has tradition (tradition is essential to culture, and everyone has culture). What they argue is that some traditions can become outdated and that tradition should not be kept purely because it's tradition. Which is different that hating tradition indiscriminately, and I sincerely doubt that you aren't aware of that. But you don't have the decency to acknowledge it.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:34 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This post is just full of drivel. I'm a liberal and I accept everybody
Hmmm...This post seems to be something of an oxymoron.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:32 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
As stated, I am not talking about things like "we all eat" or "we all live on earth".....talking about values and beliefs.
It's meeting people who are different than us, getting to know them and learning from the experience that makes us human.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
The SPLC is as rabid a hate group as you will ever find.....do you know Dees' story??
But of course, the leftist lame stream media gets to say which groups are good and which are bad, so the SPLC gets to be called good.
I used to donate to them when I was a clueless, stupid leftist. What a vile outfit they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
While emotionally charged responses might be a good enough debate strategy in conservatives circles, this style doesn't work in fact based arguments. Tell me this, if the SPLC's data can't be trusted because of their implied bias, what hate group listed is falsely classified? Name at least one...
It's impossible to defend the indefensible. Case closed...

Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
I have NOTHING in common with conservatives... there, we're even.

/thread

Edit: and I never spent 1/5 of my life being a conservative either, what a waste that would be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies