Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't. You moved the target and I said that was a waste of time as we both could do that all day and my original position does not change.

Very rarely does a police officer get condemned where his life is actually at risk.
I know your position won't change. Always this: Cop=bad. Criminal=victim. Wash rinse repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I counted 53 police officers shot or stabbed in the last 50 years.......... I'LL SAY IT AGAIN.....50 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_line_of_duty
Do you think those 24 British police officers who have been stabbed to death died on purpose or were not able to handle a knife wielding maniac?

Sure, the police might be able to handle knife wielding maniacs some times, but clearly not other times, even in the U.K.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:09 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you think those 24 British police officers who have been stabbed to death died on purpose or were not able to handle a knife wielding maniac?

Sure, the police might be able to handle knife wielding maniacs some times, but clearly not other times, even in the U.K.
As I said, we here have had 53 police officers killed by stabbing or shooting in the last 50 years. That's just over 1 per year of our unarmed police killed in this way. Your population is approx just over five times ours. So, roughly. to repeat similar stats to ours, about 270 American officers would die carrying out their duties, by stabbing or shooting, in the last 50 years.

According to the FBI, from 1980 - 2014, an average of 164 police per year have died at the hands of felons. Those killed in accidents in the line of duty, are not included. That is the same for my British figures. I can't seem to find figures for 1966 - 1979. But, for the sake of this post, lets say the averages for those years are similar. That would make a total of well over 8,000 officers murdered by felons in the last 50 years. That's a lot more than 270 isn't it?

So, our methods seem to have less police killed by felons, and that includes arresting knife welding maniacs, without killing them.

Last edited by English Dave; 11-30-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 04:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
As I said, we here have had 53 police officers killed by stabbing or shooting in the last 50 years. That's just over 1 per year of our unarmed police killed in this way. Your population is approx just over five times ours. So, roughly. to repeat similar stats to ours, about 270 American officers would die carrying out their duties, by stabbing or shooting, in the last 50 years.

According to the FBI, from 1980 - 2014, an average of 164 police per year have died at the hands of felons. Those killed in accidents in the line of duty, are not included. That is the same for my British figures. I can't seem to find figures for 1966 - 1979. But, for the sake of this post, lets say the averages for those years are similar. That would make a total of well over 8,000 officers murdered by felons in the last 50 years. That's a lot more than 270 isn't it?

So, our methods seem to have less police killed by felons, and that includes arresting knife welding maniacs, without killing them.
When you take on and disarm a lunatic with a knife, I'll reconsider your thoughts on the matter, until then, you might as well be saying that if we had only tried talking to Hitler more, war might have been prevented.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:58 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When you take on and disarm a lunatic with a knife, I'll reconsider your thoughts on the matter, until then, you might as well be saying that if we had only tried talking to Hitler more, war might have been prevented.
Well, there you go Pedro. I give you some figures which you don't like, and you bring up Hitler....... So long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies