Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 11:48 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Don't forget:
"unarmed Jewish teen"
"unarmed Amish teen"
"unarmed Eskimo teen"
"unarmed Mormon teen"
"unarmed European tourist"
. . . .
This video highlights some of the problem.
Being black v black, it's not "racist." But note the body language, incessant taunting, and aggressive posturing. Even the children are mimicking their parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMW9GEy8iZQ
Posturing and feigning aggression to save face are not the best responses in a confrontation with police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I agree many black people need to stop playing victim. What you fail to realize that many have. Not sure where you get the narrative that black people are just struggling, and blaming the white man for them struggling. Most black people have jobs, even if they aren't the best ones. Of course everyone wants free money if someone is going to offer it, but it's nothing anyone is waiting around for.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of blacks who are in the middle class, home owners, investstors, and have some semblance of fiscal indepedence. Look up, it's not that hard to find. Maybe the whole "black people need to stop playing victim" mantra would have worked well in the 70s. But it sure as hell isn't an attitude most black people have.
It seems to be the attitude that continues to come across in the media. living near a large city all you see are the disenfranchised black children, the sub par schools, and the rest of the social ills that plague society. Yes I realize most individuals have jobs and work etc but that ghetto mindset still seems to be the fall back when things aren't going well.

I remember several years when Michael Vick was having all his problems with the dogs and everything else and people stated "well look where he came from". Give me a break he received an education from one of the best universities in the country, had a major career, plenty of money but when his old habits surfaced it was "well look where he came from". So is society saying that you can take the boy out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy?

Maybe it's time for the black community to start policing it's own and stop blaming it on everyone else. On the other hand when there is a clear cut violation of a suspects rights such as the Oklahoma case then I support prosecuting LEO as the law allows.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
There obviously are. When I worked in the Automotive industry for a big 3, there were many black Engineers who did quite well, and were too busy working and making good money to have time to play the victim. On the other side of the track, this was Detroit where you can obviously find people who easily claim to be victims.
If one wants to find Blacks who are successful, that is easy to find. However, the attention is being drawn to the very worse within the Black population. Alot of Black success is ignored.

I have asked this over and over. Would Detroit have the same issues if its Black population was solidly middle class(I'm talking specifically Detroit proper)? How many Black engineers live in Detroit proper vs the rest of metro Detroit?

Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
There obviously are. When I worked in the Automotive industry for a big 3, there were many black Engineers who did quite well, and were too busy working and making good money to have time to play the victim. On the other side of the track, this was Detroit where you can obviously find people who easily claim to be victims.
There are white people who play victim. This isn't anything exclusive to black people by any stretch, let's stop pretending that it is. I have known plenty of sorry white people blaming everyone for their personal problems. That is just a flaw with lazy people. People love to blame other people but themselves for failures. Lord knows I hear a lot of white people talk about foreigners taking their jobs.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It seems to be the attitude that continues to come across in the media. living near a large city all you see are the disenfranchised black children, the sub par schools, and the rest of the social ills that plague society. Yes I realize most individuals have jobs and work etc but that ghetto mindset still seems to be the fall back when things aren't going well.

I remember several years when Michael Vick was having all his problems with the dogs and everything else and people stated "well look where he came from". Give me a break he received an education from one of the best universities in the country, had a major career, plenty of money but when his old habits surfaced it was "well look where he came from". So is society saying that you can take the boy out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy?

Maybe it's time for the black community to start policing it's own and stop blaming it on everyone else. On the other hand when there is a clear cut violation of a suspects rights such as the Oklahoma case then I support prosecuting LEO as the law allows.
Then to tell me. How many black people do you personally know? Since you're clearly an expert and authority of how black people think. I didn't know there existed a person that can read every black person's mind. But clearly you know more about black people than they know about themselves.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:00 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Yep, many people act like people of Asian decent are all the same, from race, to the importance of education, to family ties. Having worked for a Japanese company in Japan, and having dated a Cambodian and a Vietmanese woman, I found the cultures are not the same by far. But the overall average success of all Asians, as the US government likes to group all people the same, is higher than the national average. Same with blacks on the other end, a certain percentage brings the majority down.
Alot of the success in "Asian group" in America is mainly from East Asians, particularly Japanese and Korean. Chinese and Indians as well. Those are among the largest Asian groups in the USA. Groups such as Hmongs and Laotians have not done as well. But they are also smaller in numbers compared to other Asian groups. In my opinion, I feel like more people ignore them as a result.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Then to tell me. How many black people do you personally know? Since you're clearly an expert and authority of how black people think. I didn't know there existed a person that can read every black person's mind. But clearly you know more about black people than they know about themselves.
I know plenty of people from work and my day to day life, I never said I am an expert, maybe comprehension isn't your strong suit but I said "It seems to be the attitude that continues to come across in the media." . Maybe you need a fresh look at what comes across in the press/news and think how people are interpreting it....

Old 09-26-2016, 01:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Read an interesting article some time back about how if there weren't some race quotas in place, UC Berkeley would be nearly 100% Asian.
I don't think it would be like that as Asian IQ and population percentage wouldn't support it. They seem to work harder though. What I saw when race based affirmative action was supposedly stopped at first whites gained and were like 40-50%. Then they went back to applying supposedly non-race based metrics to get it back closer to where it was.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:16 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alot of the success in "Asian group" in America is mainly from East Asians, particularly Japanese and Korean. Chinese and Indians as well. Those are among the largest Asian groups in the USA. Groups such as Hmongs and Laotians have not done as well. But they are also smaller in numbers compared to other Asian groups. In my opinion, I feel like more people ignore them as a result.
That, and when you take the average, income, IQ, and success factors it brings the overall averages of all these groups up or down. Of course, our group stereotypes seem to be based on our lowest or highest common denominator.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I disagree. This is why. Anyone can get those things. White females can get affirmative action. Anyone can get welfare and food stamps, section 8, and the other stuff. Anyone can get it.
That's not even true. You basically can't get any of these things if you're white unless you're a single woman with minor children. Welfare offices are ran for and by blacks and liberals basically. I've known several poor whites and none of them could ever get section 8 or much of any kind of assistances even though they met the qualifications. Just talk to a black person and they can tell you about all the assistance programs that a white person would never be told about. As far as white females receiving affirmative action, white females have similar intelligence and work ethic to white males, so they can get by on merit.

Last edited by mtl1; 09-26-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies