Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver_Husker View Post
**Full disclosure.....I support Trump and will be voting for him.**

I'm a firm believer that most of us really don't care for the notion of democracy. We support the candidates that mirror our beliefs only, and we are mostly annoyed by the beliefs of others. If your candidate supports your beliefs, regardless of their executive style...you'll probably support them. Likewise if a candidate "mostly" supports your beliefs but shows a willingness to compromise...we dislike that as well.

Trump is stylistically a dictator which is why he admires the leadership style of Sisi in Egypt and Putin in Russia. They are dictators....the Russians and Egyptians that happen to ideologically line up with Putin and Sisi don't mind their dictatorial style because they mirror their personal beliefs. Americans that ideologically line up with Trump, most likely wouldn't mind the dictatorial style of Trump and his aggressive nature against those that don't agree with him. Trump hates those that disagree with him...as do most of us. Whether we're willing to admit it or not.

I'm posting this thread as more of a commentary on executive styles and our willingness to be "lead" as long as we agree with the central tenants of the leader as opposed to an endorsement of Trump or Clinton. Do you agree? Disagree? Do most people prefer the vacillations of a leader willing to bend or a strong-willed "dictator" style leader?
As long as Congress keeps being [MOD CUT/inappropriate] and allowing Presidents to override the Constitution with executive orders, we can certainly expect to elect a dictator at some point. Our Fed Gov was designed to have checks and balances, which are now ignored.

We got what we elected for the very reasons you pointed out: We do not vote for the best person anymore. Now, voters don't even care if the person is dishonest, which is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-23-2016 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Trump seems to admire autocrats who answer to no one.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The We The People President who will be eliected , Donald J. Trump is no dictator.. that is Obama.. he dictates what he wants America to be. Obama didn't care one bit about what Americans wanted.
No POTUS can do what every American wants.

I generally believe every POTUS does the best he could with the cards they were dealt.

Every POTUS makes campaign promises they don't keep.

Every POTUS makes mistakes.

Every POTUS inherits debt, adds to it and passes it on.

Yet every 4-8 years, the people develop amnesia and swear this time will be different.

They all eventually become disappointed.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:

I'm a firm believer that most of us really don't care for the notion of democracy. We support the candidates that mirror our beliefs only, and we are mostly annoyed by the beliefs of others. If your candidate supports your beliefs, regardless of their executive style...you'll probably support them. Likewise if a candidate "mostly" supports your beliefs but shows a willingness to compromise...we dislike that as well.

Trump is stylistically a dictator which is why he admires the leadership style of Sisi in Egypt and Putin in Russia. They are dictators....the Russians and Egyptians that happen to ideologically line up with Putin and Sisi don't mind their dictatorial style because they mirror their personal beliefs. Americans that ideologically line up with Trump, most likely wouldn't mind the dictatorial style of Trump and his aggressive nature against those that don't agree with him. Trump hates those that disagree with him...as do most of us. Whether we're willing to admit it or not.

I'm posting this thread as more of a commentary on executive styles and our willingness to be "lead" as long as we agree with the central tenants of the leader as opposed to an endorsement of Trump or Clinton. Do you agree? Disagree? Do most people prefer the vacillations of a leader willing to bend or a strong-willed "dictator" style leader?
The only people I think would want a dictator are those who feel personally powerless or impotent--like communist country defectors who returned because they could not handle making their own decisions or people in marriages who prefer their partner make all the decisions.

And these dictators that Trump is so fond of come with a lot of baggage--such as the fact that they murder the opposition. For many sane people, the murders, torture and imprisonment of innocent people ordered by these dictators may not balance out any leadership skills they may have.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Trump will have less room to maneuver than almost any President because the establishment Republicans will be working overtime with their mentors, the Democrats, to thwart him at every turn.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
As long as Congress keeps being pu$$i#s and allowing Presidents to override the Constitution with executive orders, we can certainly expect to elect a dictator at some point. Our Fed Gov was designed to have checks and balances, which are now ignored.
very true. but it will be someone with the rock star appeal that obama had in 2008, mixed with someone with a dynamic personality rather like reagan in 1980, as well as someone with an iron will like stalin. anything less, and this country does not vote in a dictator.

Quote:
We got what we elected for the very reasons you pointed out: We do not vote for the best person anymore. Now, voters don't even care if the person is dishonest, which is a recipe for disaster.
actually i think the american people do care if their politicians are dishonest, the problem is that when these people do run for office, the media slams them in every way possible and makes them seem like people we dont want in office. in the end the truth gets completely obfuscated and the public gets reamed again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Trump will have less room to maneuver than almost any President because the establishment Republicans will be working overtime with their mentors, the Democrats, to thwart him at every turn.
that will be true at first, but i think that as things move forward, even that will change. trump will negotiate, he will have pence help him navigate the hazardous waters of congress, and he will learn. he will figure out how to get congress to bend to his will, and he will get them there with them thinking they are doing the right thing.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
A lot of people are taking this the wrong way, the title does not help.

Yes, I would say Trump has a dictorial style of management. Not sure Hillary does not have the same style. I do not see either fixing the partisan divide. Not that I want that divide fixed. Deadlock is almost always better than a new bipartisan law or program.

Trump is disastrously wrong on trade. Hillary on immigration. I won't vote for either.

Anyone who tries to engage in an honest discussion concerning addressing our nations biggest problem, the unfunded liability in Medicare/ Medicaid will lose votes.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:32 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
Quote:

Is this like when Obama's critics call him a "King" or accuse him of being a dictator?

Do you know what the old saying is about repeating a lie over and over and over again, that it eventually takes on the air of truth to people?

Putin is a democratically elected President. He is far more a refined statesman that Trump (who I likely will vote for--though I have not made up my mind 100 percent yet) or Hillary or any US politician I can think of. He in fact seeks compromise and within Russian politics is regarded as a moderate.

If you are thinking of the shirtless photos (Obama had them by the way and American women went gaga over them) that has more to do with a combination of his own personality and Russian culture.

Can a nation-state be a nation-state dictator? If so the United States rises to the top of that pyramid.

Putin is a strong leader--like the smaller 300 Spartans that stood up defiantly to the Assyrian empire--and the smaller Russia led by Putin has stood up to the massive American empire that the US leads by marching NATO forces across earth. That's not being a dictator (as if anything is wrong with being one in the first place) but having balls of steel.

Trump I think it is true when some say he is moved by a businessman's attitude towards politics more than an ideologists attitude towards politics. That can be a good or bad thing. The ideologist has no problem waging wars to topple governments and doing so through increasing national debt and saying, "we will finance our ears today by forcing the unborn in pregnant American women to pay for the war debt tomorrow, for our cause is scared, holy, and righteous."

The business man looks at what makes overall sense on the balance weight scale, and is not religiously committed to a sacred ideology, and the business man prefers to maintain good balance sheets. He is more a negotiator than a religious zealot of ideology playing a zero sum game.

That may be Trump's edge. I think in this sense he is a trillion times smarter than all those teenage mentality gang-bangers in the Pentagon combined, and all those high school kids in grown bodies that were former US ambassadors accusing Trump of aiding comforting Putin because Trump is not throwing up gang signs across the street from Putin.

But Trump is no statesman and he seems "retarded" on a number of levels just regarding domestic racial problems. It's like this dude grew up in a gated community.

This American election--considering the two candidates--has to be the biggest fiasco in a presidential election I've ever seen.

In light of Charlotte I would say it behooves Americans to worry more about their own backyard and fixing the USA on the mainland rather than worrying about the "style" of Putin and what he's doing in Russia domestically. But then I think too many people in the US are too mentally challenged to realize that. They claim to have an answer to everyone's else's problems in all other countries of the earth but not a single one to their own American problems.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The Donald (it is a position look it up) grew up in a gated community and learned to be the KING of all he surveyed, not to mention to be a master business sleaze, and will try to be King of all the Americas if he is elected. I expect the first thing he will do if Congress defies His Will is to declare an emergency and suspend the Constitution and rule from himself.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Please go live in a country with a real dictator- and let us know after you have some experience -- the rest is BS-bla-bla-- you have no real clue none
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies