Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 05:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Supreme Court already decided that the penalty was constitutional.

And that it was a TAX, contrary to how lying Obama promoted it.

Regardless, since the people still have a [gasp!] choice as to purchasing health insurance or paying the TAX, and this information is readily available to the IRS on one's tax return, they have no business harassing citizens. Not to mention the fact that doing so is a colossal waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
It is my understanding that only unpaid taxes can be liened. The ACA penalty was deemed to be a penalty, not a tax and can only be paid voluntarily or withheld out of a tax refund.

I'll check to see if they've change that--wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Found it--from Healthcare.gov:

The IRS will hold back the amount of the fee from any future tax refunds. There are no liens, levies, or criminal penalties for failing to pay the fee.
That's what I thought. It's what I have always heard, and Rush has always said. Rush is right again.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
This administration has squeezed the middle class to near extinction, so many people find the marketplace not affordable.

A self-employed friend pays over $800 a month for a plan that has a $2,000 deductible, and after he satisfies that they'll pay 70% until he pays close to $7,000 out of pocket when they start picking everything up at 100%.

And rates are going up 70%.

They shouldn't be leaning on people who probably want insurance but just can't swing it.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So? Do you think that makes it ok for the IRS to target people who have paid the penalty or filed for an exemption by sending them letters "encouraging" them to sign up for health insurance? They paid the fine. They are within the bounds of the law. Yet they will be getting a letter from the IRS asking them to do more. Most people would find a letter from the IRS to be intimidating. I think it goes too far. It borders on harassment.

Congress agrees:
http://www.majoritywhip.gov/wp-conte...nen-Letter.pdf

Congress is irrational on the subject and supports stripping millions of Americans of their coverage.

It is not targeting people to encourage them to apply for insurance this winter. The government trying to make one of its programs work is what government is supposed to do. This story is a nothing sandwich.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:52 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And that it was a TAX, contrary to how lying Obama promoted it.

Regardless, since the people still have a [gasp!] choice as to purchasing health insurance or paying the TAX, and this information is readily available to the IRS on one's tax return, they have no business harassing citizens. Not to mention the fact that doing so is a colossal waste of money.

Getting a letter in the mail is not harassment. That is a little dramatic.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't have insurance. I will not get insurance because I refuse to subsidize deadbeats and pay more than I did when I had insurance before the great lie, for less coverage.

The IRS can pound sand. My tax credits zero out any penalty or fine.
Just curious. Do you have a car and auto insurance?

Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This administration has squeezed the middle class to near extinction, so many people find the marketplace not affordable.

A self-employed friend pays over $800 a month for a plan that has a $2,000 deductible, and after he satisfies that they'll pay 70% until he pays close to $7,000 out of pocket when they start picking everything up at 100%.

And rates are going up 70%.

They shouldn't be leaning on people who probably want insurance but just can't swing it.

Sounds like your friend is embellishing a tad or misimformed.

His out of pocket is capped at $6850/ year and that includes the deductible.

According to the non-profit Kaiser Institute that tracks all things healthcare, the average premium increase is about 4%.

70% is hyperbole.

What city/ state does this friend live in?

Old 09-23-2016, 06:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds like your friend is embellishing a tad or misimformed.

His out of pocket is capped at $6850/ year and that includes the deductible.

According to the non-profit Kaiser Institute that tracks all things healthcare, the average premium increase is about 4%.

70% is hyperbole.

What city/ state does this friend live in?

I wrote it wrong. It's not another 7K, it's around 7k for the total, as you stated.

He sent me an article with the increase, but I've since deleted it. I emailed him to ask him to resend.

Here's here in IL - Lake County.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Supreme Court already decided that the penalty was constitutional.
You mean the govt decided it was okay to go after people who don't want to participate in another govt scheme? Shocking

Old 09-23-2016, 07:49 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Extortion much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies