Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Are the letters going out before the election?
No exact date given but it's supposed to happen this Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Wait, the IRS knows who paid the fine because the taxpayer who did not have health insurance checked the box on their form indicating that they did not have health insurance. That is reported to the IRS who is now using that info to encourage people to buy health insurance b/c the fine is going up again this year. I don't know where you are reading that the IRS found this confidential info when it is info that the taxpayer themselves provided to the IRS???

If people are too poor to pay for insurance then they can apply for Medicare or they can get discounts depending on income. But, I can see in some cases where it would be cheaper to just pay the fine and hope you don't get sick or hit by car. It's a shame that we are the only developed country where healthcare is NOT a given. THAT is the real issue here. To me at least!
This law protects tax payer information.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103

Old 09-23-2016, 08:36 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Just what I need more junk mail.They can never make me pay the fine either as I'm self employed. Idiots

Old 09-23-2016, 08:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some people couldn't afford health insurance so they paid the fine. This thread is about how those who followed the law by paying the fine are now being targeted by the IRS. The IRS is using confidential information that is protected by law to track them down and send them letters "encouraging" them to purchase health insurance. It's a pretty big overreach. You get to pay for this campaign with your tax dollars. Are you ok with that? What do you think about the misuse of confidential tax payer info being misused? Good? Bad?
If they send you a letter that you don't need then shred it if it isn't needed.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
GMAFB~~ Comparing HC to owning a car is redicuolous..considering HC cost must be paid and Car payments don't~~

Man~~ It's quite obvious..many posting about such things..have no idea on what they're entitled to...HC is a guantantee ( especially life-threatening situations)..which means IF you don't pay Insurance >>TAXPAYERS DO!!

IF you buy a care ..Taxpayer's DO not pay for your costs to purchase much less costs to maintain it ...and oh, yes..Taxpayer's are NOT responsible for damages caused your car causes either unless your car injures someone that doesn't have HC Insurance.!!

Get a grip
Many of you Canadians feel this way. Many in the U.S. do not share this view. Some progressives in the U.S. argue that health insurance should be required because people can't be turned away from emergency rooms, and thus uninsured people drive up costs for everyone else. The 'can't be turned away if uninsured' policy' is only because of a law passed in the 1980s.

Redicuolous? Really? The word is ridiculous.

'Car payments dont' Don't what? Need to be paid? If a person didn't pay cash for a particular car, if he/she doesn't make payments on the car, the car will get repossessed. If the aforementioned law hadn't been passed in the 1980s, there wouldn't be required healthcare costs that need to be paid by someone, and it wouldn't be any other private citizen's business.

Why do you care ? It doesn't cost you anything. You are Canadian. You live in Canada.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
This law protects tax payer information.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103
I believe your link is saying that people who work for the IRS cannot reveal info. That is a good thing. I do not think it covers the IRS as an entity sending out these letters about a taxpayer directly to that taxpayer. I think if they were sending these letters to the neighbors of the taxpayers, (who check the box, paid the fine and sent their return to the IRS) then you would have a point. I'm sorry but I do not see the issue. The IRS is allowed to correspond with the taxpayer. They are not allowed to reveal my tax status to you and that is what your link is discussing.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
If people are too poor to pay for insurance then they can apply for Medicare
What if the person is under age 65 ? Are you channeling Roseanne Roseannadanna ?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
What if the person is under age 65 ? Are you channeling Roseanne Roseannadanna ?
Good catch! I mean Medicaid. I couldn't remember the name. In California it is called Medi-CAL and that it all I could recall. Thanks for the correction.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I believe your link is saying that people who work for the IRS cannot reveal info. That is a good thing. I do not think it covers the IRS as an entity sending out these letters about a taxpayer directly to that taxpayer. I think if they were sending these letters to the neighbors of the taxpayers, (who check the box, paid the fine and sent their return to the IRS) then you would have a point. I'm sorry but I do not see the issue. The IRS is allowed to correspond with the taxpayer. They are not allowed to reveal my tax status to you and that is what your link is discussing.
Where does it state in the law that it is acceptable for the IRS to share identifiable taxpayer information with the Center for Medicaid and Medicaid Services for the purpose of getting more people covered by insurance?

Quote:
For the first time this Open Enrollment, CMS will partner with IRS to conduct outreach to families that paid the fee or claimed an exemption for 2015. This will help us reach a group of individuals who were recently identified as uninsured, and who are likely to be most interested in Marketplace enrollment.
https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaRe...016-06-21.html

Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Where does it state in the law that it is acceptable for the IRS to share identifiable taxpayer information with the Center for Medicaid and Medicaid Services for the purpose of getting more people covered by insurance?

https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaRe...016-06-21.html
Listen, the bottom line is that I don't see an issue. I read the link, or most of it, and I agree. I mentioned young and healthy and that is who they are targeting. I just don't see an issue. If it were private corporations that the IRS was passing on info then I would have a problem. In this case, it is the government sharing with the government and it is better for the taxpayer as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies