Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Did you pay the tax penalty or get an exemption due to not carrying health insurance? If so you could be among the 20 million Americans who will be getting a letter in the mail soon from the IRS "encouraging" (scaring) you to buy health insurance. Forbes Welcome

This seems like a very heavy handed and inappropriate move via the government in order to try and force people to buy a product from a private corporation that they may not even be able to afford.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 02:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Did you pay the tax penalty or get an exemption due to not carrying health insurance? If so you could be among the 20 million Americans who will be getting a letter in the mail soon from the IRS "encouraging" (scaring) you to buy health insurance. Forbes Welcome

This seems like a very heavy handed and inappropriate move via the government in order to try and force people to buy a product from a private corporation that they may not even be able to afford.

What do you think?
The Supreme Court already decided that the penalty was constitutional.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I had someone ask me about the ethics of getting paid under the table........I said at one time I would look askew at that as everyone needs to contribute. I said now, go for it. When you have a government that pulls this crap that it is no longer worthy of people contributing to it.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Supreme Court already decided that the penalty was constitutional.
So? Do you think that makes it ok for the IRS to target people who have paid the penalty or filed for an exemption by sending them letters "encouraging" them to sign up for health insurance? They paid the fine. They are within the bounds of the law. Yet they will be getting a letter from the IRS asking them to do more. Most people would find a letter from the IRS to be intimidating. I think it goes too far. It borders on harassment.

Congress agrees:
http://www.majoritywhip.gov/wp-conte...nen-Letter.pdf

Old 09-23-2016, 02:25 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Good luck with that. Many people did not purchase health insurance because.... Wait for it... They have no money. I am interested to see how the gubmint proceeds.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:32 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Good luck with that. Many people did not purchase health insurance because.... Wait for it... They have no money. I am interested to see how the gubmint proceeds.
They'll ratchet up pressure on you. They have to because obamacare is in trouble because they don't have enough young people over-paying to the system to make up for the chronically ill and elderly that rushed in to pay.

I'm literally sitting here laughing at all the twits that supported this thinking they'll get free healthcare and then Obama delayed the penalties until after the re-election to avoid the eventual backlash.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
Well at least we got to keep our doctors right?

Reminder, the author of obamacare knew we were too dumb and lazy to read the actual bill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.8008fb1b7e1b

Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Obamacare took a corrupt bureaucracy, made it much worse, then made it compulsory to pay tribute to it. Al Capone is eating his heart out. It is an outrage and an abomination - no play on words intended. This IRS harassment throws salt in the wound.

Good thread.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-23-2016 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 09-23-2016, 04:37 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Big government ain't it just great?!

Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

What do you think?
I don't have insurance. I will not get insurance because I refuse to subsidize deadbeats and pay more than I did when I had insurance before the great lie, for less coverage.

The IRS can pound sand. My tax credits zero out any penalty or fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies