Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nick Cohen, columnist for the Observer, had a fascinating piece in the WaPo recently.

"British exceptionalists, like their American counterparts, insisted that other countries would bow before us. We were repeatedly assured that the E.U. needed us more than we needed them, a brag that grows more absurd by the day."

"Honest commentators don’t make predictions anymore, but stare at the wreckage with slack-jawed disbelief."

“We have no idea where we are going,” Sam Gyimah, from Theresa May’s ruling Conservative government, said last week (although I use the word “ruling” advisedly). “There is no strategy; there is no plan.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.d1e3687e1afc

It is anyone’s guess what will happen next.
I guess you're an half empty glass type of guy huh?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I saw evidence of panic buying today! There was no white rum in Aldi. Plenty of foodstuffs on the shelves, but no white rum....... I said to the manager, "what's going on here. Are you allowing panic buying of Aldi white rum?"

He laughed, and said, it was just out of stock. A likely story.
So you were unable to purchase white rum at a grocery store owned by a German company (Albrecht Discounts) and this is somehow pertinent to what happens next with the EU and the UK?

Perhaps you could explain this a bit more.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
So you were unable to purchase white rum at a grocery store owned by a German company (Albrecht Discounts) and this is somehow pertinent to what happens next with the EU and the UK?

It was a joke based on some here saying they have read of panic buying of foodstuffs in the UK, as we lead up to Brexit. The joke was the food shelves are full, but the white rum had run out. Get it? Gawd.......

I do like the Aldi white rum. But, if it comes to the crunch, I will make do with white rum imported directly from the Carribbean.......

I don't think I need any more liquor from Germany for my Long Island Teas. Lemme think........ we make the gin and vodka ourselves. Tequila comes from Mexico....... Oh gawd, the Cointreau is made in France...... That's it..... cancel Brexit!!

Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Looks like May is asking for a few more months, if approved then what.

Quote:
LONDON — The chaos and dysfunction of the British government were on full display on Wednesday, with Prime Minister Theresa May preparing to request a short delay to Britain’s departure from the European Union after a bitter dispute in her cabinet over her plan for a lengthier extension.
The deadlock in the cabinet underscored the political crisis gripping the government as the deadline for Britain’s withdrawal from the bloc draws ever closer. Even Mrs. May’s spokesman acknowledged as much, saying the prime minister had warned this could happen if her Brexit plan were rejected.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/w...gtype=Homepage

Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:

English Dave is just joking, we Brits have something called a sense of humour, and it's got us through far worse than Brexit, he will be telling you next he has seen a German U-Boat patrolling our shores.

Britain actually produces more than half the food it consumes and there is potential to increase home grown produce even further, we also import over 20% from other parts of the world and this also has the potential to massively increase.

We are not at the mercy of the EU in terms of food supplies, this is not WW2, indeed we plan low tariffs and won't be holding up imports, as per the HMRC report and Brexit planning.

If the EU wants to maintain it's lucrative trade with the UK then so be it, whilst in terms of plans we have May's Deal and the Malthouse Compromise if need be.

Merkel has already stated she will do everything in her power to make sure there is a deal, as a no deal will massively effect Germany.

The Irish farmers are also demanding something is done as 67% of their beef exports are in relation to the UK, whilst the French farmers and wine producers are also up in arms.

Lots of countries world wide would love a no deal Brexit and are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of more exports of foods and goos in t the UK.

That is how capitalism and free trade works, as opposed to EU protectionism.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
English Dave is just joking, we Brits have something called a sense of humour, and it's got us through far worse than Brexit, he will be telling you next he has seen a German U-Boat patrolling our shores.
Well it sure looked like a submarine.......maybe it was a whale....... Any sign of the Germans marching through France yet to prevent Brexit? If so, the French will probably have surrendered by now.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
It was a joke based on some here saying they have read of panic buying of foodstuffs in the UK, as we lead up to Brexit. The joke was the food shelves are full, but the white rum had run out. Get it? Gawd.......

I do like the Aldi white rum. But, if it comes to the crunch, I will make do with white rum imported directly from the Carribbean.......

I don't think I need any more liquor from Germany for my Long Island Teas. Lemme think........ we make the gin and vodka ourselves. Tequila comes from Mexico....... Oh gawd, the Cointreau is made in France...... That's it..... cancel Brexit!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Lack of humor is not an American trait. I think the poster you were responding to may be on the autism spectrum and therefore unable to tell when someone is joking or being sarcastic. For instance he probably thinks Dave really wants to cancel Brexit now because he gets his Cointreau from France.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Well it sure looked like a submarine.......maybe it was a whale....... Any sign of the Germans marching through France yet to prevent Brexit? If so, the French will probably have surrendered by now.
ROFL - I am surprised Project Fear haven't used the threat of German U-Boats as part of the Anti-Brexit propoganda.

As for the French half of them are rioting and the other half are in strike, which is the usual situation in France.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Lack of humor is not an American trait. I think the poster you were responding to may be on the autism spectrum and therefore unable to tell when someone is joking or being sarcastic. For instance he probably thinks Dave really wants to cancel Brexit now because he gets his Cointreau from France.
TBH - I am not sure which country he comes from.

As for Americans, they do have a good sene of humour and I enjoy chatting with Americans.

Perhaps he was a bit confused in terms of White Gin, and the shortage at Aldi.

I hear Asda are getting a shipment soon.

As for Cointreau, we will just have to rough it and drink Scottish Drambuie instead.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Nick Cohen, columnist for the Observer, had a fascinating piece in the WaPo recently.

"British exceptionalists, like their American counterparts, insisted that other countries would bow before us. We were repeatedly assured that the E.U. needed us more than we needed them, a brag that grows more absurd by the day."

"Honest commentators don’t make predictions anymore, but stare at the wreckage with slack-jawed disbelief."

“We have no idea where we are going,” Sam Gyimah, from Theresa May’s ruling Conservative government, said last week (although I use the word “ruling” advisedly). “There is no strategy; there is no plan.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.d1e3687e1afc

It is anyone’s guess what will happen next.
Sam Gyimah was an unknown junior minister in May's government whose name only became known because he resigned from his position last year so he could campaign for a 2nd Referendum.

As a result his local constituency association is attempting to deselect him as their candidate for the next election.

I wouldn't put much credence on anything that loser says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies