Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times

Advertisements

Looks like Brexit will be cancelled.

UK to hold the European elections.

I now predict a second referendum with remain winning.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

Except there has consistently been a lack of a majority in the Commons for a second referendum.
And they take a minimum of six months to organise.
But apart from that ....

Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
The new exit day is Halloween......... Oh gawd...........

Temptation will now be great within the Tory party to get rid of Theresa May, and install a new leader, to somehow try and find a way forward.

But, if the extension goes past the month of May, we will have to hold European elections to an EU we are trying to leave.

Anything can happen now.

Last edited by English Dave; 04-11-2019 at 01:03 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
With the no-deal deadline more than six months away, the sense of urgency to reach a compromise agreement has diminished considerably.

Trump warned the EU, via tweet of course, about their tough stance on Brexit.

The UK can still live by May 22nd, but who is betting on that?

Old 04-11-2019, 06:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

Brexit was never going to happen. Britain is not a democracy. The people have no weapons and the rulers simply igore their votes.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:11 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Just like I said he would, Macron has caved yet again. He's a little yapping poodle. Lots of noise, no bark. EU is going to give an unlimited extension.

Article 50 is now meaningless. BRexit is effectively canceled. It's never going to happen.

What remains now is how long the Conservative party remains in power in the UK.
Almost 18 million people voted to leave the EU over 2 years ago.

BRexit is canceled, just like I said. There's no deadline, the EU has reversed itself, Macron stands for nothing, and Teresa May has no plan for moving forward.

Teresa May has outright lied to Parliament and her people. First she told Parliament, 108 times, that the UK will exit on March 29. Then she said the UK will exit on April 12th and there will be NO participation in EU Elections. Not none of that has happened. Her red lines are meaningless. Time to get her out of there. She's a joke of a leader. Far far worse than even the hapless community agitator.

Meanwhile. What's the most important matter of the UK government today? Arresting Julian Assange for doing nothing but telling the truth about them.

With idiotic politicians such as this, I can see why the people of the UK are hugely frustrated and why the yellow jackets are burning down France.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I've been saying since the day Brexit passed that there was no way it was going to be allowed to happen and I've seen nothing to dissuade myself of that notion since then. I will believe it will happen only after it has already happened(and even then I'll have my doubts). I know many Brits insist that if their government says it will do it, it will keep its word. Their ability to remain that naive and trusting is something I almost envy. American politics has jaded me too much I suppose. lol

Brits may be about to get a hard lesson on the harsh realities of the New World Order.
^^^
This guy is wikkid smaht.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:46 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
From Theresa May's speech in Parliament today:
"In short, the date of our departure from the EU - and our participation in the European Parliamentary elections - remains a decision for this House."
They can still get this right. If they do not, then surely heads must roll. Perhaps literally.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Until yesterday, it seemed to me that Theresa May had made every effort to shepherd Brexit through an incredibly fraught political process with much stronger forces arrayed against her than she has behind her, especially within the UK Parliament. With her acceptance of this extension, seemingly at this point without any clear resistance to the requirement that the UK participate in the EU Parliamentary elections on May 23, that sadly seems to no longer be the case.

If she fails to use every tool and power available to her to make sure that the UK does not participate in these elections, then she must surely go. A number of Tory MP's effectively called for her resignation today in Parliament. I am still hopeful that she or the Tory party will take action to make sure these elections are not held in the UK. But her comments to Parliament today did not include any cause for encouragement on this score that I saw.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:46 AM

So, is there a way for the Tories to get rid of Theresa May?

It appears that there is, as the conclusion of this session of Parliament ends next month and a review of the viability of her government. From the UK Guardian:

Quote:
There is no formal process available to Conservative MPs if they want to remove Theresa May as leader in the immediate future because under party rules a new no confidence vote is not allowed until December. But Francis Elliott, the Times’ political editor, argues that with a new Queen’s speech due in the spring, May does face an existential threat. Here is an extract from his Times article (paywall).
The end of the parliamentary session also triggers a review of the Conservative government’s confidence and supply agreement with the Democratic Unionist Party, which was struck after the 2017 snap election in which the Tories lost their overall majority. The deal states that both parties are required to review its “aims, principles and implementation”.

The break clause was one reason why Mrs May decided to announce that the parliamentary session would last for two years, rather than the usual one year, in June 2017.

In the present climate, with the DUP implacably opposed to the Brexit deal as it stands, it is all but impossible to see the party issuing another guarantee to support a government led by Mrs May. The ability to win a Commons vote approving a Queen’s Speech is a necessary condition for a viable government, but without a formal deal with the DUP Mrs May could not be certain it would pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies