Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 09:22 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Trump is REALLY unpopular in the UK. Trump publicly backing Johnson will only hurt Johnson.
Nobody in the UK is going to change their vote for their local MP based on anything Trump said in an interview with Nigel Farage.

Get a grip.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is George Galloway. Tom Watson is in trouble......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdYp2GDC-4
Tom Watson apparently agrees, as he has just withdrawn from the race.

Quote:
Tom Watson resigns: Why is Tom Watson stepping down?

Tom Watson is one of the best known figures in the Labour Party. He has severd as an MP since 2001 for West Bromwich East and as Deputy Leadrr since 2015. However, in a shocking turn of event, Mr Watson has decided to tender his resignation and stand down from politics.
It is not clear to me if this makes Galloway - who is running as an independent - the frontrunner in this district now. But it surely has to improve his chances.

This is the Labour Deputy leader stepping down. While the total number of MP's retiring this election does not appear to be inordinately high, the number of high profile and high ranking members resigning does appear to be unusually high.

This is looking like it could be a rather substantial reformation of British political representation this election.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:08 PM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Nobody in the UK is going to change their vote for their local MP based on anything Trump said in an interview with Nigel Farage.

Get a grip.

I think I am going to try and have a rest from the election and Brexit.

Hopefully the Christmas television will start kicking in by December.

I really can't stand Corbyn and Labour and the same applies the nationalists and the Greens. I really can't be bothered to listen to a lot of really stupid politicians.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I think I am going to try and have a rest from the election and Brexit.

Hopefully the Christmas television will start kicking in by December.

I really can't stand Corbyn and Labour and the same applies the nationalists and the Greens. I really can't be bothered to listen to a lot of really stupid politicians.
Yeah, from over here across the pond, this is the "quiet" part of the race, where all of the local campaigning takes place and all the usual recriminations are hurled and so forth. The polls are showing the Tories with a pretty steady lead on a national level, but of course the elections are on a district by district basis. And we remember how well the polls turned out during the last general election, both in the UK and here as well.

Anyway, this is serious business for you guys and this is not the time for everyone to relax just yet. If you can finish strong and usher in a Tory majority, then this horrid chapter could be over with soon. But if you vote in a hung parliament, or worse, a viable Remainer majority, your suffering as a result of being tormented by the EU will likely not end during your lifetime.

Tell your people to stay strong and finish hard. There are a lot of people here in the US that are rooting for you to succeed on this.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:04 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Could anyone explain to me what the Labour party’s position on Brexit is in this election?

All the other parties seem pretty clear to me.

Conservative = Leave with Boris’ new deal
Brexit = Leave with no deal
Lib Dem = Remain
SNP = Remain
Labour = ???

Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
How many "deadlines" has the Brexit movement blown through to date? Who believes this new deadline will be any different than any of the others?

It's obvious they cannot get Brexit over the finish line. Time to end this farce once and for all.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:18 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How many "deadlines" has the Brexit movement blown through to date? Who believes this new deadline will be any different than any of the others?

It's obvious they cannot get Brexit over the finish line. Time to end this farce once and for all.

Well, the UK Parliament and the EU Parliament along with the heads of states of 27 countries, absolutely don't consider it a farce and they are all working to resolve.

What part of that do you not understand?

Old 11-07-2019, 09:23 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Well, the UK Parliament and the EU Parliament along with the heads of states of 27 countries, absolutely don't consider it a farce and they are all working to resolve.

What part of that do you not understand?
I understand the entire thing has been a cluster**** that has dragged on and on and on and has blown through one deadline after another because no one can figure out or agree on how to do it. Nothing difficult to understand about that.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Could anyone explain to me what the Labour party’s position on Brexit is in this election?

All the other parties seem pretty clear to me.

Conservative = Leave with Boris’ new deal
Brexit = Leave with no deal
Lib Dem = Remain
SNP = Remain
Labour = ???
Labour supports Remaining in substance, but in form they are trying to position themselves as riding the fence in a way that pretends to accommodate Leaving, but not in a way that would not ever allow leaving to truly occur.

They are doing this because a substantial number of their MP's are from constituencies that support Leaving and in many cases quite strongly so. It appears to be a strategy that is failing miserably, as the Leaver supporters in the party understand that the Labour party are not actually going to support a true Brexit, and they are not buying it. Meanwhile, the Remainers in the party - the substantial majority - are confused about the level of commitment that Labour has for Brexit alternatives, whether that be a second referendum or out right support of Remain, and many of them are not buying it either.

The Labour party is in a very bad spot right now. If the polls are anything close to right, Labour is likely to lose big in the upcoming election, with the Tories and the Lib Dems gaining at their expense.

To be fair, the Conservatives were in an even worse spot this last summer, before Boris Johnson took over, as Theresa May had been trying to work a similarly unclear and vacillating strategy on the Tory side and the party was literally on the verge of ceasing to exist as a result. Of course Johnson came in and went all in behind Brexit in a very clear and strong way, including throwing those MP's who were demonstrably not on board with this clarified party direction out of the party. This series of bold actions over a period of just barely over 90 days even now has reversed the Tory parties political prospects in a truly remarkable fashion.

Apparently Jeremy Corbyn is not confident that introducing a similarly strong and decisive clarification of the Labour Party's platform would help their prospects. I really do not know what Labour should do at this point, but it is hard to imagine any set of actions that would harm this party more than Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of it has.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:35 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Anyway, this is serious business for you guys and this is not the time for everyone to relax just yet. If you can finish strong and usher in a Tory majority, then this horrid chapter could be over with soon. But if you vote in a hung parliament, or worse, a viable Remainer majority, your suffering as a result of being tormented by the EU will likely not end during your lifetime.

Tell your people to stay strong and finish hard. There are a lot of people here in the US that are rooting for you to succeed on this.
Why do people in the US want to damage the UK like that? I thought we were friends? Is it because the EU is big enough to be a rival to the US, but if you can split up the countries so they don't speak with one voice on trade etc then they can be played off against each other to strengthen the US position? A 'divide and rule' type strategy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies