Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 20 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/s...41159805444098

Old 12-14-2019, 11:35 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
My sister, who is a retired chartered accountant or whatever it is the Brits call a CPA and lives well on a high street north of London is in the other cohort. Quite sad. My niece, who is a British MD has moved to Copenhagen rejecting both England and the US. The niece is still a Brit though. Her father has rigged an internet relay so she can get a couple of British channels unavailable in Denmark.

So lets see how it really works. And quickly. My sister's view is that there will be a very different view in a couple of years. We shall see.
It's going to be difficult. The step after actually leaving the EU, is a year of trade talks. During that time, things will continue as they are now, so no long lines of trucks at ports.

It could still all go pear shaped, and we may end up leaving without a deal. We know that. But, we had to leave the EU. This small island couldn't carry on with free movement of people from the EU coming here. It is complex, and too long to go into here again in great detail.

We will be free to deal with the European criminals infesting my country, and the thieving pick pocket gangs flying in, running amok with their professional thieving, then flying out the same day. We have Eastern European gangs running trafficking rings, and illegal drugs. Throw them out back to Europe. Every one of them.

We have some who feel they can come here, and use our NHS, when they can't get treatment in their home country. It is our NHS, for the people of this country, not foreigners. If they don't have a job, sling them out. Once we are no longer under the EU legal thumb, we will be free to get rid of Europe's dross who have come here in recent years.

The English people are fed up of our towns being overrun by foreigners, taking scarce housing, and causing ever increasing rents. We have had enough, and have voted accordingly.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Hey English Dave do you have a source for the EU immigrants contributing out of proportion to the crime in England?

That assertion was made about the illegals here but it turns out they commit crime at a lower rate then the natives. So in fact deporting the illegals would increase the crime rate.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:48 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Brexit A.D.: The EU and the UK - What happens next?
Who knows, who cares.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It's going to be difficult. The step after actually leaving the EU, is a year of trade talks. During that time, things will continue as they are now, so no long lines of trucks at ports.

It could still all go pear shaped, and we may end up leaving without a deal. We know that. But, we had to leave the EU. This small island couldn't carry on with free movement of people from the EU coming here. It is complex, and too long to go into here again in great detail.

We will be free to deal with the European criminals infesting my country, and the thieving pick pocket gangs flying in, running amok with their professional thieving, then flying out the same day. We have Eastern European gangs running trafficking rings, and illegal drugs. Throw them out back to Europe. Every one of them.

We have some who feel they can come here, and use our NHS, when they can't get treatment in their home country. It is our NHS, for the people of this country, not foreigners. If they don't have a job, sling them out. Once we are no longer under the EU legal thumb, we will be free to get rid of Europe's dross who have come here in recent years.

The English people are fed up of our towns being overrun by foreigners, taking scarce housing, and causing ever increasing rents. We have had enough, and have voted accordingly.
It is a problem to be sure, but the solution is not going to be any better. I suspect many of those foreigners will be leaving soon along with the jobs they filled. That should make many happy for a time then it will sink in that there is nothing left but jobless low-skilled, semi-skilled, and aging people all in need of government assistance to make ends meet. Brexit is not going to restore the post-industrial wastelands.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is a problem to be sure, but the solution is not going to be any better. I suspect many of those foreigners will be leaving soon along with the jobs they filled. That should make many happy for a time then it will sink in that there is nothing left but jobless low-skilled, semi-skilled, and aging people all in need of government assistance to make ends meet. Brexit is not going to restore the post-industrial wastelands.
We can't carry on with a net immigration of a quarter of a million people a year coming to this small island. We just can't. It is causing massive problems in higher crime, housing shortages, school places for their children, some starting school unable to speak English, and increased strain on our NHS. Plus increased traffic on our already full roads.

Whatever problems are caused by slowing immigration, we haven't any choice. There will be social conflict down the line if a grip isn't got on unfettered immigration. I understand what you're saying, but we cannot carry on in this way indefinitely, or I see a civil war down the line in the future.

What good will economic prosperity do us, if we end up in a civil war? I don't say this lightly.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:28 PM

8,133 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:

But I assume you are completely fine with the free movement of British in the EU?

Old 12-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Hey English Dave do you have a source for the EU immigrants contributing out of proportion to the crime in England?

That assertion was made about the illegals here but it turns out they commit crime at a lower rate then the natives. So in fact deporting the illegals would increase the crime rate.
No I do not. As you can imagine, crime figures based on race, are not released to the public.

But, a few years ago, a police chief in London had a slip of the tongue in a tv interview. He said most crime in London was committed by blacks, especially muggings. I saw this interview.

He was immediately dragged over the coals for saying this, by various, how can I put it 'groups.' He was forced to make a public apology. I was just astonished. One things for sure, telling the truth about such matters, will not enhance the revealer's job advancement, and promotion prospects. I guess folks who know the true figures keep their mouths shut.

Prison figures are available. People from black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds constitute 14% of the general population, but make up 25% of the prison population.There are over 9,000 foreign prisoners in British jails. The total jail population is about 83,000.There are about 4,000 EU nationals in British jails.

We have eastern European drug and trafficking gangs to deal with, and whole villages of Romanian and Bulgarian gypsies who have decided to give England a try. Their original countries are very relieved to see the back of them.

It's time we had the powers to send these people back to their home countries. Once we are out from control by EU rules, we can decide what's best to do with such people coming here to make a career of begging in the streets.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
But I assume you are completely fine with the free movement of British in the EU?
We have agreed to allow 4 million EU people who have come here to live, can stay after we leave the EU, and live their lives in my country. I believe there are about 1 million UK citizens living in the EU who will also be allowed to stay in the various EU countries they have settled in.

Free movement will end into my country from the EU, and of course, the same applies the other way. I guess a visa system will be worked out for visitors, especially the many millions who visit EU countries from here each year. This is in the interests of just not the holidaymakers, but the areas they visit that depend heavily on money spent by visitors.

Mention has been made of a similar visa system used by America, to come into play here. This will help us weed out criminals trying to enter my country.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:12 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
The SNP knew they would do well in a vote in Scotland, so they were all for it.

The Lib Dems were in a sea of delusion as usual. Their leader even mentioned becoming Prime Minister, she was so confident her party was going to clean up in an election. The stupid woman not only didn't become PM, she lost her seat, and is now a former politician looking for a job.

We waited patiently for politicians to fall in the trap. They agreed to an election, and we slaughtered those against Brexit, and gave Boris Johnson the majority in Parliament he needed to get Brexit done.

At the same time, we threw Corbyn, and his Marxist pals into the political dustbin. Boy, what a great feeling that was. He is still in the denial stage. He'll get thrown out by the seat of his pants, if he doesn't resign, and walk away soon. He is finished, and for good.
Apparently this latest election outcome has not cured them of their delusional tendencies. The Lib Dem interim leader is out saying that the 'Battle against Brexit continues" and that the Lib Dems are the "Unionists" now, not the Tories.

Quote:
Battle against Brexit continues, says Lib Dem interim leader

The battle against Brexit has not ended with Boris Johnson’s emphatic general election victory, Liberal Democrat interim co-leader Sir Ed Davey has said. While accepting that the prime minister now has the votes in the Commons to get his withdrawal agreement through by 31 January, Sir Ed insisted that this will not mean Brexit is “done”.

And he said that the threat which Brexit poses to the future position of Scotland and Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom will give the lie to Johnson’s “One Nation” rhetoric, declaring: “We are the unionists now – the patriotic party who support our union.”
Brexit appears to be over and if the Lib Dems do not think so, they are part of an extremely small number of people who believe that. The negotiations for a trade agreement with the EU will likely have some interesting moments before that process is done. But it too will get done.

Some of these people seem to have cracked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies