Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2020, 10:39 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the UK was that dependent on the EU, then you guys never would have left to begin with.

The leaders of the EU and their supporters are likely in for a rude awakening if they truly expect to dictate terms to the UK in these trade negotiations. They certainly were not able to do that in the Withdrawal Agreement Bill negotiations, which if they had the capacity to dominate the UK, one surely would have expected to see it then.

Since the EU was not able to dominate the UK in the Withdrawal Agreement Bill negotiations, they will be even less able to negotiate the trade deal negotiations, especially now that the UK has officially left the EU and is no longer under those people's thumb in any way, shape or form.
The UK govt capitulated on almost every EU demand on the WA. They even tried to place the blame for the Backstop on the EU (when it was the UKs idea).

Boris Johnson's deal is almost identical to May's deal, with a few differing stances on NI.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...awal-agreement
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...eland-protocol

The only change is that May's deal included a customs union. Johnson's deal splits the UK into 2 separate customs regimes, with checks on goods between GB and NI.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:50 AM
B87

And as expected, the gutter press are already lining up to blame any Brexit failings on the EU.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...-the-eu/03/02/

Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
And as expected, the gutter press are already lining up to blame any Brexit failings on the EU.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...-the-eu/03/02/
Hi Hiroo ...

Old 02-04-2020, 11:22 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
If the UK was that dependent on the EU, then you guys never would have left to begin with.

The leaders of the EU and their supporters are likely in for a rude awakening if they truly expect to dictate terms to the UK in these trade negotiations. They certainly were not able to do that in the Withdrawal Agreement Bill negotiations, which if they had the capacity to dominate the UK, one surely would have expected to see it then.

Since the EU was not able to dominate the UK in the Withdrawal Agreement Bill negotiations, they will be even less able to negotiate the trade deal negotiations, especially now that the UK has officially left the EU and is no longer under those people's thumb in any way, shape or form.
Like many of the Remoaner sore losers on here the EU were convinced right up to the wire that Britain would capitulate and change its mind.
Now they've suddenly realised 12% of their annual budget is disappearing too.
The EU is significantly weaker with Britain's departure.
It marks a fundamental change in the balance of power.
The EU empire is beginning to crumble one brick at a time.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:26 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Hi Hiroo ...
Thought that source was an acceptable one, considering you used it yesterday? Fact, the EU is no longer responsible for any bad decisions of the UK government.

Name calling, rather than wanting to debate? You never answered my question - which part of the UK do you live in?

Quote:
You're absolutely right.
Research ( funded by the EU ... ) published last year showed that the UK was the second-least racist country in Europe.
Interestingly Ireland, whose media has consistently portrayed Brexit as being driven by racism, has the second worst record record in the EU.
Something my Slovakian gardener tells me all the time.He considers them to be little better than savages considering the amount of abuse he gets.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...-europe/26/02/

Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 AM

8,145 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Like many of the Remoaner sore losers on here the EU were convinced right up to the wire that Britain would capitulate and change its mind.
Now they've suddenly realised 12% of their annual budget is disappearing too.
The EU is significantly weaker with Britain's departure.
It marks a fundamental change in the balance of power.
The EU empire is beginning to crumble one brick at a time.
Well, first, it is not 12%, it's more like 10%. And of course a lot of this comes back. But yes, UK is a net contributor at the moment:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/exter...united_kingdom

Old 02-05-2020, 08:23 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
I’m curious what Brexit will mean for the agriculture sector. I assume there will have to be more concern about food security as EU policies would have been balancing the needs of the bloc as a whole. So now I would think the policy would be to produce more domestically.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m curious what Brexit will mean for the agriculture sector. I assume there will have to be more concern about food security as EU policies would have been balancing the needs of the bloc as a whole. So now I would think the policy would be to produce more domestically.
Great question.

I would broaden that out just a bit beyond agriculture. Your reference to "Food security" is a better way to think about this.

When it comes to trade agreements, food (agriculture, livestock, fishing, food manufacturing, etc.) is frequently the most difficult issue to get agreement on. Some people do not understand that, because they look on commerce in food as just another form of commerce. But it absolutely is not.

Food security is the most fundamental aspect of national security, and for that matter, personal security. You can live without a home. You can live without a job. You can even live without internet access. But you cannot live without food and water. Every country needs to assess their fundamental security needs and risks associated with food security and not limit its consideration of these concerns to commerce and trade considerations.

I would love to see a careful analysis of this from someone who can pull it all together in a reasonably concise, insightful and easy to understand way. If you encounter an analysis like that in your travels, I hope you will post it, and I will do the same.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
If you encounter an analysis like that in your travels, I hope you will post it, and I will do the same.
Will do. With the U.K. being an island, I think food security is even more important.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
I can tell you this influences my perception of Britain and I'll probably be less likely to purchase anything from England in the future . I don't countenance virulent nationalism backed by racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies