Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 02:50 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
All of you guys who have been giving Theresa May a hard time over there will have to line up to buy her a pint after she steps down, probably by this summer.
I don't think he drinks much as she's Type 1 Diabetic and has to have regular injections.

I am at the stage now where I an fine with a no-deal.

There may be some economic adjustment over a few years following Brexit, however we save £39 Billion, whilst the backstop nonsense won't apply and we can go out and make new trade deals across the world.

Currently non-EU trade acounts for nearly 60% of our trade but we need to realistically try to get this figure up to 80% or 90%. Indeed the EU used to account for 60% of our trade only a couple of decades a go but the relaxing of trade rules by international trade bodies outside of the EU saw our trade with the rest of the world grow 20% and there's no reason why it can't grow further under new deals.

The one thing that we do need to learn is the EU are not and never have been wirthy allies, and we would be better off forming closer relations with that anglosphere nations and the rest of the world.

We also need to look at the subkect of defence and security, as like many Britons I am not going to be happy for the British Army to continue patrolling Estonia, Poland and the Baltic states, or RAF Aircraft patrolling over Romania or lots of other such agreements, and I think many in the US are tired of a lot of EU countries such as Germany not pulling their weight.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:01 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't think he drinks much as she's Type 1 Diabetic and has to have regular injections.

I am at the stage now where I an fine with a no-deal.

There may be some economic adjustment over a few years following Brexit, however we save £39 Billion, whilst the backstop nonsense won't apply and we can go out and make new trade deals across the world.

Currently non-EU trade acounts for nearly 60% of our trade but we need to realistically try to get this figure up to 80% or 90%. Indeed the EU used to account for 60% of our trade only a couple of decades a go but the relaxing of trade rules by international trade bodies outside of the EU saw our trade with the rest of the world grow 20% and there's no reason why it can't grow further under new deals.

The one thing that we do need to learn is the EU are not and never have been wirthy allies, and we would be better off forming closer relations with that anglosphere nations and the rest of the world.

We also need to look at the subkect of defence and security, as like many Britons I am not going to be happy for the British Army to continue patrolling Estonia, Poland and the Baltic states, or RAF Aircraft patrolling over Romania or lots of other such agreements, and I think many in the US are tired of a lot of EU countries such as Germany not pulling their weight.
I think once you guys get the kinks worked out, this is going to be fantastic for your country.

The way to go on trade deals is unilateral deals with everyone. Forget the multinational nonsense, as they are almost impossible to modify or renegotiate later.

The UK - a perennial global mercantile powerhouse - is now going to get to negotiate all brand new trade deals from scratch, benefiting from knowledge of all the mistakes made over the last 50 years, when nearly all existing trade deals were initially negotiated.

You guys are going to be a model for international trade that I expect that everyone in the world, including the USA, is going to want to emulate, once you start getting these deals in place.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
I think once you guys get the kinks worked out, this is going to be fantastic for your country.

The way to go on trade deals is unilateral deals with everyone. Forget the multinational nonsense, as they are almost impossible to modify or renegotiate later.

The UK - a perennial global mercantile powerhouse - is now going to get to negotiate all brand new trade deals from scratch, benefiting from knowledge of all the mistakes made over the last 50 years, when nearly all existing trade deals were initially negotiated.

You guys are going to be a model for international trade that I expect that everyone in the world, including the USA, is going to want to emulate, once you start getting these deals in place.
I hope so.

However I have a feeling we will have to go through some hardship intially, although I am more than prepared for this.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:42 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I hope so.

However I have a feeling we will have to go through some hardship intially, although I am more than prepared for this.
CANZUK is on the table as is a potential trade deal with the US.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:35 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
CANZUK is on the table as is a potential trade deal with the US.
I don’t think so. Too complicated. Canada, Australia and New Zealand already have a free trade agreement together in the new CP-TPP. Australia has separate free trade agreements with the U.S. and New Zealand. Canada has a free trade agreement with the U.S.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don’t think so. Too complicated. Canada, Australia and New Zealand already have a free trade agreement together in the new CP-TPP. Australia has separate free trade agreements with the U.S. and New Zealand. Canada has a free trade agreement with the U.S.
If the UK is smart, they will stay out of these multinational deals. They make for a nice photo op for the heads of state when they are originally signed. But the more countries that are in a deal, the more difficult it is to renegotiate it in order to keep it up to date.

No, unilateral deals are the way to go, especially if you are starting from scratch, the way the UK is going to be.

This is such a great opportunity for the British. I hope the do not blow it by getting involve in a bunch of multilateral trade deals.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
It was fascinating to watch that vote today.

They essentially voted to do the same thing, that has been done for 2 years, and hoping for a different result. In fact voting too, that this result can't happen.

It's insanity at its best.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
If the UK is smart, they will stay out of these multinational deals. They make for a nice photo op for the heads of state when they are originally signed. But the more countries that are in a deal, the more difficult it is to renegotiate it in order to keep it up to date.

No, unilateral deals are the way to go, especially if you are starting from scratch, the way the UK is going to be.

This is such a great opportunity for the British. I hope the do not blow it by getting involve in a bunch of multilateral trade deals.
I posted a couple of links in a post earlier in this thread (post #417).

Liam Fox stated shortly after Article 50 was triggered back in 2017:

“We’re going to replicate the 40 EU free trade agreements that exist before we leave the European Union so we’ve got no disruption of trade. Believe me, we’ll have up to 40 ready for one second after midnight in March 2019.”

As one of my links showed, apparently none of these 40 deals will be ready in March, except perhaps with Israel and Canada. However if Brexit occurs on schedule, I bet these bilateral deals will be in place sometime this year. I am sure the intention will be to avoid trade disruption by keeping terms the same as the EU agreements (only way to get agreements signed quickly) and to leave renegotiating more suitable agreements to a later date. What the EU as a whole deems to be important or unimportant in a trade deal with these countries may be different than what the U.K. by itself considers to be important.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I posted a couple of links in a post earlier in this thread (post #417).

Liam Fox stated shortly after Article 50 was triggered back in 2017:

“We’re going to replicate the 40 EU free trade agreements that exist before we leave the European Union so we’ve got no disruption of trade. Believe me, we’ll have up to 40 ready for one second after midnight in March 2019.”

As one of my links showed, apparently none of these 40 deals will be ready in March, except perhaps with Israel and Canada. However if Brexit occurs on schedule, I bet these bilateral deals will be in place sometime this year. I am sure the intention will be to avoid trade disruption by keeping terms the same as the EU agreements (only way to get agreements signed quickly) and to leave renegotiating more suitable agreements to a later date. What the EU as a whole deems to be important or unimportant in a trade deal with these countries may be different than what the U.K. by itself considers to be important.
That sounds good, but in reality, those EU agreements will probably not make sense between just the UK and whoever the 40 deals are with. Probably they can agree to temporarily adopt those terms until more appropriate, permanent deals are negotiated.

Those UK trade negotiators are going to be some seriously busy people for about the next five years or so.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It was fascinating to watch that vote today.

They essentially voted to do the same thing, that has been done for 2 years, and hoping for a different result. In fact voting too, that this result can't happen.

It's insanity at its best.
Yep. Theresa will now go back to the EU asking to reopen the deal, and could you please remove the backstop. They will keep their serious faces on, and say nope, sorry.

Then we will stare each other in the eye into March. If no one blinks, out of the EU we go at the end of March, with no deal.

It will be real difficult at first, maybe even quite chaotic. The damage will be shared all round, not just to us. Lots of jobs depend on smooth trade with the EU, not just in the UK, but within many countries of the EU.

The intention of the EU has been to keep us in their little club. Just keep making things difficult, until we just give up, and ask to stay. We also have many politicians and their puppet masters here in the UK determined to undermine the leave vote.

It's going to be a real interesting eight weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies