Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times

Advertisements

My first thread got deleted for copyright problems, and I am not sure why as I posted the link and the attribution.
Perhaps it was too much material I copied?? Sorry if I broke the rules.

So here is the well-written article again which has research showing that America's police are not racist.
And blacks should be more scared of black on black homocides than of the police.

Heather MacDonald on Black Lives Matter: Does The Truth Matter? | Video | RealClearPolitics

Last edited by mountainrose; 09-24-2016 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Great article.

I just don't get it, all of sudden, they are all racist killers because of their career choice. When you really think about, how does it even make sense?

I can only speak for myself. My friends are former military, they become police officers because it is a good paying job that is challenging and honorable for them. No more, no less.

I read is somewhere on the internet, one officer said,

The idea that police wake up, strap on their guns and pin on their badges, and sit around thinking about how they’re going to make lives miserable in the minority community – that’s just at variance with common sense

lol

I think police department is a reflection of society. There are racists, there are bigots, there are ignorant people, but vast majority are kind, hard working, giving, most treat others with respect.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
^^ exactly.
One of my best friends sons are both police officers, and they are feeling so shocked and discouraged at this lunacy. I think it really shows the lack of good leadership, courage, and integrity we are experiencing.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
I really feel bad for the cops. I hope this doesnt discourage others from joining the honorable profession. No profession or industry is completely free of a few bad seeds & corruption so the public needs to brainstorm ideas to make the system fool proof. Maybe make internal affairs more strict & add filters to catch any corruption or brutality. Body cameras also help in clarifying any misconceptions or blaming cops without any proof. Make the videos accessible to the public. Discourage songs or any type of media that incites violence & blind hatred for police. Freedom of speech doesnt mean you can use it as an excuse to threaten others.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times
They are not racist but there is a woman issue. The number of shootings went way up with women entering the force and feeling threatened more often than male officers.

For me this goes back to Rodney King and Highway Patrol officer Melanie Springer who had the gun out to kill King who was high on PCP and non-compliant after 3 taserings. She would have killed King right there which actually would have worked out better because of what that did to race relations and the riots; but Stacy Coon took over and prevented King's death, though at least one of the officers even took that too far.

Still be far more afraid of a woman officer with a gun than a man IMO.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:50 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,035,253 times
they are not-- (most)- but some fail basic procedures over and over why?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:54 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
DOn't commit crimes and you won't have a problem with the police--what's so hard to understand about that?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Stupidity doesn't end.

Occupation doesn't determine how racist someone is!

I fear bad cops more than I do thugs. In my daily life, I have had more negative encounters with thugish cops than I have had with the street thug. A thug is a thug! Whats so hard to understand about this.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:59 AM

23,959 posts, read 15,066,841 times
They are not racist.

They do need different and much more training.

It is well known in my town that they do not hire the best and brightest because they would get trained and go on to a better job.

IMO, if we as a society expect teachers and cops to do the job of parents then we need to get the smartest people we can find. Train them well, along with a good paycheck. It would be cheaper than jail in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies