Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,717,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Carl Zimmer is no scientist. He has a BA in English. That’s it.
Yes, as noted in post #29.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,372,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
But the genetic differences between an African from Somalia and an African from Nigeria can be greater than between the Somalian and a Swede. So....
This. Africans do not exist as an ethnic group despite having similar skin color or hair texture. In many instances they are as distant from each other as they are distant from other people. The title is therefore incorrect and grouping all africans in one group by opposition to non africans is simplistic.

I could say there is actually just one group : dark skinned africans and light skinned africans who descend from the former and I would be correct but the white supremacist who started the thread and tried to distort the conclusions made the scientists who never tried to claim there were different human species would not be happy with me shattering his view of the world.

Quote:
Why couldn't the out-of-Africa group be categorized as a sub-species of Homo-sapiens?
Because it's not. You are welcome to jump into the field of scientific research and present your conclusions to the scientific community. Until then, you're a cd'er trying to push fringe ideas on a web forum. Nothing more.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:25 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,761,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Ironic that time doesn’t help with advancing further in technology for earliest civilizations... I wonder what lead to the stagnation of those societies... food? Clean water?
It's hard to grow crops in the jungle. Europe had a favorable climate and selection of animals for domestication.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:41 PM

42,758 posts, read 25,996,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The Finns speak a Uralic language which comes from central Asia. I have never read anything showing the Finns to have Middle Eastern ancestry. The Finns are actually genetically unique because they are the result of a founder effect and genetic bottleneck. They are distinct from all other Europeans.

Finns Found to be Genetically Unique, Genes Vary Significantly From Europeans : Trending News : Nature World News
https://genographic.nationalgeograph...e-populations/

Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,163,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The NatGeo link is showing ancient genetic affinities. It is showing the contribution of ancient migration of Middle Eastern farmers from the Fertile Crescent, which makes up a portion of all Europeans. It's interesting that they are breaking it down that way since in the past that was usually just shown as European. What they are showing as Northern European, others refer to as Ancient European Hunter-Gatherers. This southwest Asian contribution to Europe is very old, prehistoric in fact. That is a very recent discovery found through sequencing ancient Middle Eastern DNA. I didn't realize that was what you were referring to.

What that chart doesn't show is that Finnish people are a genetic outlier in Europe because they have diverged from other Europeans. They had a small population that remained genetically isolated for thousands of years. They have branched off in their own direction and are now unique genetically.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 AM

38,612 posts, read 26,263,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Words used to describe the differences are not as important as the differences.

A genetic difference is a real difference that can help to explain why Africans and non-Africans learn, behave and perform in different ways.

Instead of always explaining our differences in terms of white on black racism, we can honestly consider in what ways our genetic code, well-suited for the areas and ages in which it originated, leads us to different outcomes here and now.

Yes, it is correct to generalize based on genetic differences.

We can all stop apologizing for using logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In other words you want something other than skin color to prove that white folks are special and entitled

Since when has what I want been a consideration?

What I want is to get to the bottom of a job application and not see, "We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer", as though excluding white males somehow makes opportunities equal.

If you want equal opportunity, don't commit a felony that you'll have to list on every job application you complete for the next ten years.

Don't have a two and a half year void in your work history or list braiding hair as past employment.

Don't have three kids before you have an associates degree.

Don't leave the relevant skills, licenses/certifications and post secondary education portions of the job application open.

When they ask, "What can you do?" have something to say besides, "Like what?"

The only thing I am entitled to as a white male is being placed at a disadvantage in hiring and promotion based solely on my race and sex, and this with the government's blessing.

I can't sue because I was discriminated against because, as a white male, it is 100% legal to discriminate against me because I am white and because I am male.

Live in my world for a while, then preach to me about entitlement.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,914,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Sure. Genetics are pseudoscience now. I knew that it would come to that eventually.
Race Realism is the specific pseudoscience being bandied about this post.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think that way. It suggests that Africans do worse in western IQ tests because they are Africans. I think they could do equally well if they grew up under the same conditions. They don't need a different IQ drawer where soft skills or whatever are stressed more than logic, maths etc.

But when you look at the US for instance, there is a certain history. I don't know if it is true, but I read that slaves were picked for specific purposes before they were shipped to America. Whites did not want intelligent male slaves, but strong ones that would work hard and not cause trouble such as a rebellion. So, that selection might have consequences even today.

When the first Europeans sailed to Sub-Saharan Africa, most areas lacked written language and the wheel.

This shouldn't be surprising when we consider the short period of time African children spent with parents before their relatively early onset of puberty and the responsibilities of adulthood that came with it.

There just wasn't as much time for parent to child intellectual development.

Given the present day pressures to begin having children at an early age that exist in Africa (war, famine, disease), it is unlikely that Europeans or Asians, with their longer childhoods, would accomplish anything in the same harsh environment except raise slightly smarter kids that disappear off the genetic map because they couldn't reproduce fast enough.

Here in the US, with no direct pressure from the environment to forego an extended period of learning in favor of getting an early start on making babies, it isn't clear why the option to pursue education isn't seen as more desirable.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
He’s a white supremacist grasping at pseudoscience to justify his beliefs.

Just gonna' throw poo?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:29 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,204,630 times
People have "never" stopped mixing within their mating. "no big deal" as time is showing, the mating is continuing just as life has planned and laid out within the natural abilities of procreation's biological functions.

People should be thankful for the "universal genetics" of human beings.

In America, every ethnicity that moved here either came from a mixed mating heritage, and when they got here, many engaged in every combination of mixed ethnicity of mating one can imagine and many produced offspring's. Over time, many declared themselves whatever they wanted as to ethnic makeup, and they too mated and had offspring’s who too declared themselves what they wanted.

God knew more of what he was doing in the creation of the human being, than we can ever understand. We look for differences and God designed the nature of "universal genetic function" to be facilitated via procreation's biological functions.

Quote:
Through it all, the consistency of "blood types" are designed as being what they are

The different markers that can be found in blood make up eight possible blood types:

O negative. This blood type doesn't have A or B markers, and it doesn't have Rh factor.
O positive. ...
A negative. ...
A positive. ...
B negative. ...
B positive. ...
AB negative. ...
AB positive.

There are four major blood groups determined by the presence or absence of two antigens – A and B – on the surface of red blood cells:

Group A – has only the A antigen on red cells (and B antibody in the plasma)
Group B – has only the B antigen on red cells (and A antibody in the plasma)
Group AB – has both A and B antigens on red cells (but neither A nor B antibody in the plasma)
Group O – has neither A nor B antigens on red cells (but both A and B antibody are in the plasma)

We can also find "people" with many shades of skin tone, and a variety of hair textures, eye colors and body shapes. It’s an amazing realism of 'variety" in imagery that one can find whatever "imagery that appeals" to their instincts of attraction, within the pursuits of mating.

It's truly such an Amazing Realism... it has intrigued man for the course of human existence.

Habitat and Culture is equally so of many things, depending on what people want and what they desire. In many of the warmer climate environments man had not dire need to construct habitats the same as one constructed in colder climates, as well as systems of valuation differed in what environments provided. In warm climates man had less need or environmental conditions to seek to store up goods, where in colder climates it was a necessity to store up goods, for food supply during colder climates where vegetation went into a state of dormancy. There is so much that will never be known even among that which is surmised by artifacts, because of the basic uniqueness of what is the human being and the human mind.
Only within the short history of recordation's by symbols and script has man gathered surmised concepts about the thinking habits of mankind, but what existed prior to which led to the methods of recordation's, is itself a mystery; that remains unknown to mankind.

Over all the spans of time, many learned many things in how to develop means to create languages and to communicate across language differences, to embrace "concepts" both and others could understand with a commonality of descriptive denotation of objects and things.

It is quite likely that some emotional things such as "Laughter" and "Crying" has been an emotion understood across all life, without any prior training as to what is it. Likely as well, the "joy" and "pain" of both trial and error, success and failure is too things Human Beings learned to express and recognize among other human beings, without prior training.
Even the act of "help" and "helping" is as well "instinctive across all human life", the same as "dying" is acknowledged by all living beings. As well as "fear" and the preservation of life, is too, "instinctive".

We can appreciate the amazement within mankind for learning the pursuits of "healing" and the elements of nature in the process of seeking to "help" and "helping" other human beings in the processes of healing.

What is the crux of malice within mankind is the elements of: "greed" and "vanity", "lust" and "jealousy", "pride", "anger", "gluttony", "sloth", sorrow/despair/despondency, impatience, stress generated by urgency of the aforementioned elemental's.
These things are interlinked across the spectrum within the human beings. The only melding cure for harmonious interactions among human beings, which brings some peace, is the development and usage of applications of knowledge, communication and understanding and the wisdom to make priority usages us these things.

.... Lest human beings becomes warlike upon, toward and against other human beings.

When mankind becomes embedded in "tribalism"; he becomes more prone to become warlike upon, toward and against other human beings. again, it takes the development and usage of applications of knowledge, communication and understanding and the wisdom to make priority usages us these things as in employing them for the benefits of "Diplomacy".

~~~~~ There are two groups of Human Being's ~~~~~ "The Living" and "The Dead" !!!!

Last edited by Chance and Change; 11-27-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies