Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do think reincarnation is real?
Yes 46 31.72%
No 102 70.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times

Advertisements

Now I know you are just joking. An edited video on the Daily Express of all places, with a bit of a blur, and absolutely NO details or verification.

In next weeks news.... The National Enquire used once again to prove the existence of aliens

Old 10-19-2016, 10:59 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
1) There is no evidence of a "soul"
There is no evidence of real gay-dar either yet I've experienced it and if I really sat down and thought about it, there's more where that came from. If science was always accurate I would be a fictional character.
I have my evidence of a soul. When I hear musicians singing, sometimes I can feel their soul..not their brain causing that sound to come out but their very soul. Of course you don't believe it until you've actually heard it like I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Pretty much the only thing that comes from your heart is blood.
Sure if you only see things in black and white. When you only see things with your eyes you become blind.
I know emotions can come from my heart because when the guy I dated that I had feelings for really hurt me, I could literally feel my heart breaking.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Uh, no. Emotions do not come from the heart. It's a figure of speech.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Sure if you only see things in black and white. When you only see things with your eyes you become blind.
Ah the old "If you do not see it my way you are blind" canard. We get that one periodically around here. I did not buy it then. I do not buy it now.

Quote:
I know emotions can come from my heart
There is absolutely no evidence for that whatsoever. What there certainly IS evidence for however is physical manifestations of strong emotions. Stress can literally make people sick for example. And the heart is the first to be affected by stress. So that you underwent strong emotions and it manifested itself in a physical pain or sensation in that area....is no surprise. But you appear to have the causality of that EXACTLY backwards.

Does remind me of a song lyric by one of the USAs most skilled song writers.

"Oh the heart has no bones," you say, "so it won't break"
But the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
-Josh Ritter

Old 10-19-2016, 11:40 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Ah the old "If you do not see it my way you are blind" canard. We get that one periodically around here. I did not buy it then. I do not buy it now.

Stress can literally make people sick for example. And the heart is the first to be affected by stress. So that you underwent strong emotions and it manifested itself in a physical pain or sensation in that area....is no surprise.

Has nothing to do with "my way" because I welcome different opinions when it comes to music for example.
Science can't explain everything. Are you saying you've never in your life experienced something that didn't make scientific sense?

I have had stress a lot of my life (and I mean a lot) and any other time I don't feel my heart breaking. I would feel it in my stomach plenty so I know I am completely stressed but not that kind of sensation in that area.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmamba87645 View Post
1. Yes
2. No
NO

Life after death YES

...but why is this in the politics area?

Old 10-19-2016, 12:06 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs, our beliefs, are who we are, what makes us to be us so, ....no matter what they believe, no one is 100% right, and there is no right or wrong answers to some things....it's all about how you were raised to believe, schooled to believe and how open minded one might be to branch out into the unknown and savor what might be....just for a little while.

“Words can be twisted into any shape. Promises can be made to lull the heart and seduce the soul. In the final analysis, words mean nothing. They are labels we give things in an effort to wrap our puny little brains around their underlying natures, when ninety-nine percent of the time the totality of the reality is an entirely different beast. The wisest man is the silent one. Examine his actions. Judge him by them.”
― Karen Marie Moning

Old 10-19-2016, 04:32 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
lol.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Has nothing to do with "my way" because I welcome different opinions when it comes to music for example.
Irrelevant, the canard is the same. Describing someone as "blind" who does not agree with a given proposition is a canard we see on the forum often. And rarely does anyone buy that canard except the person selling it.

Quote:
Science can't explain everything.
This is another common canard. No one is actually claiming it can explain everything (though saying it CAN NOT is also an error. It HAS NOT explained everything, that does not mean by default it CAN NOT) but that we have not explained everything is not going to lend credence to what ever claim follows the statement. Anyone can say "Science can not explain everything...... " and then simply continue into whatever their pet woo is. The limitations of science do not lend credence to fantasy.

Quote:
I have had stress a lot of my life (and I mean a lot) and any other time I don't feel my heart breaking. I would feel it in my stomach plenty so I know I am completely stressed but not that kind of sensation in that area.
How selective is that. You feel something in your heart and you say "I know therefore emotion comes out of the heart" but you feel stuff in your stomach and you are not making the same claim. You have planted a huge flag in your bias there for all to see.

But again the causality is exactly backwards. Emotions have been known to cause physical sensation and effects. We know this. We observe this. It is nothing new. Getting this backwards and thinking the physical sensation means that this is the origin of the emotion is just a glaring error and unsupported by even a modicum of substantiation of any kind.

Quote:
everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs
So you keep saying. But given no one has ONCE suggested otherwise, it is a mystery as to why you feel it needs to be continuously mentioned. It is about as useful as me pointing out that everyone typing here is likely to be breathing at the time. It smacks of having nothing to say, but wanting to say something anyway.

Quote:
no matter what they believe, no one is 100% right, and there is no right or wrong answers to some things....
Again I do not see anyone here claiming to be 100% right. You are harping on about things no one is actually saying or doing. As for being 100% wrong.... no one is claiming 100% there either. But when people are claiming things that are NOT ONLY unsupported by any evidence of any kind BUT ALSO are entirely contrary to what evidence we DO have..... then people are well justified in pointing out the fallacious nature of what they espouse.

Quote:
it's all about how you were raised to believe
There you have it folks. Evidence and reason out the window. It is simply down to childhood indoctrination and validating it to yourself for the rest of your life.

Speak for yourself though. Much, in fact most, of my opinions and positions on things are self discovered and arise from reason and evidence. They have nothing to do with how I was raised, educated, or what ideas the people doing so attempted to instill in me.

Quote:
schooled to believe and how open minded one might be to branch out into the unknown and savor what might be....just for a little while.
Yes and I HIGHLY recommend having an open mind and traveling into the unknown and savoring what you find there. I find that making up unsubstantiated nonsense is the exact OPPOSITE of that however, and makes a mockery of what you and I both recommend. I am living it, you are substituting for it. Pretty similar to when you accused others of Hijacking the thread when only you were doing that. You throw around advice and admonishments that you transparently make no effort to follow yourself.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:52 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Repeating it does not change it. You are declaring something to be true of "everyone" that I am sitting here and telling you is NOT true for me. Therefore declaring it to be true of "everyone" is simply an error. If you are happy to keep repeating the error, then I am happy to keep correcting you on it.

I am happy to return to the topic when you are. It is only you dragging it off, not me. I am merely following where you led. To return to the topic I repeat what I said to you before:

You are ENTIRELY right that none of us KNOW whether there is an after life or reincarnation or not.

But I think that is asking the wrong question. The RIGHT question is to say "What evidence DO we have currently and how much of it currently suggests there is an after life or reincarnation".

And the fact is, much as the FACT is distasteful and inconvenient for you, that currently of the evidence we do have related to human consciousness, sentience and subjective experience....... 100% of that evidence....all of it...... links to the brain. 0% of it..... NONE of it..... suggests any possible disconnect between the two.

So you can sit there and equivocate over what we do NOT know, but all you would be doing is avoiding the dodging the inconvenience of what we DO know.

Awful when fact gets in the way of a pleasing narrative I have heard, so you have my genuine sympathy.
Lol. Yet again, I said everyone has their own free will whether to have faith. I did not say "it's true of everyone" (whatever that is supposed to mean). Do you agree everyone is entitled to their belief?

Do you understand now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies