Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Jeezus, are people really that stupid, in light of what happened recently and what's been happening the past few years?

I recall posting a thread a while ago where some college students posted pictures of themselves on social media with this exact same type of face mask, and some actually thought there was no racist intent involved. I knew better.

Pure stupidity.

University of North Dakota students wear blackface in photo - NY Daily News
Quote:
The University of North Dakota is investigating a photo that shows four white students in black facial masks that was apparently posted on Snapchat with the caption “Black lives matter.”

The photograph is the second racially-charged image associated with the university to be released in less than two days. An earlier picture of three white students, one of whom flashes a peace sign, reading “Locked the black b---h out,” was previously shared on the same messaging platform.

University of North Dakota’s president Mark Kennedy, whose term began in July, addressed both episodes in a statement.

“I am appalled that within 48 hours two photos with racially-charged messages have been posted on social media and associated with the UND campus community,” he said in the statement. “It is abundantly clear that we have much work to do at the University of North Dakota in educating our students, and the entire University community on issues related to diversity, inclusion, and respect for others.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
These students are probably very isolated from the rest of the world. I imagine this school just pulls from North Dakota and similar states nearby. Very rural and not much there but empty land. They may have online exposure to the world but real life experiences with others not like them would be worth more. I imagine they have never physically met anyone not white in their entire lives or only a couple not white. No excuse, they should know better. I imagine they will be expelled and then become regular contributors to sites like this and other white supremacist sites as they will be unemployable except for low paying jobs. Stupid decision that probably ruined their lives and they have no way out of North Dakota now.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:22 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jeezus, are people really that stupid, in light of what happened recently and what's been happening the past few years?

I recall posting a thread a while ago where some college students posted pictures of themselves on social media with this exact same type of face mask, and some actually thought there was no racist intent involved. I knew better.

Pure stupidity.

Who cares, they are kids. They don't have the manufactured hangups the rest of the world has.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
at least they were not out commiting arson, breaking stuff and looting and beating up people for ... being white.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:24 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Pure stupidity.

So...did the school have any ACTUAL BLM members there? People that affiliate with groups that commit violent, terrorist acts? Vs a prank? Seems like a lot of faux outrage over nothing.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
They are wearing charcoal masks. It's very good for drawing impurities out of the skin.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
They are wearing charcoal masks. It's very good for drawing impurities out of the skin.
...masks that don't even look like a real attempt to imitate blacks. I wonder, if they had gone to the trouble of doing make up jobs and wearing costumes that actually made them look like black people, would the outrage be greater, or less?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...masks that don't even look like a real attempt to imitate blacks. I wonder, if they had gone to the trouble of doing make up jobs and wearing costumes that actually made them look like black people, would the outrage be greater, or less?
There are people whose goal is to act outraged at any perceived insult to a protected class. Just look at the reaction over some girls wearing charcoal masks. They sent the police after these girls. Just imagine if they were actually trying to wear blackface. There would be mass protests at the least.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Stupid decision that probably ruined their lives and they have no way out of North Dakota now.
Uppity lefties always assume people want to leave rural areas. ND has an unemployment rate of 3.1% right now.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Uppity lefties always assume people want to leave rural areas. ND has an unemployment rate of 3.1% right now.
*SIGH*

That's a pretty stupid statistic. For anyone concerned with quality of life, no job can possibly pay enough to move to North Dakota to take it. Get real.

It's a dump, and even if no one in the whole damn state was unemployed, the dump factor can't be mitigated in any kind of way. It's where only the most desperate job seekers go to get a job because they can't find anything back home.

Before the oil and gas boom, it was a cold, barren dump, and it's STILL a cold barren dump. If it's so great, why don't you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies