Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I tell you what. Detroit PD, and Chicago PD are always looking for officers. Why don't you come over here and do that job for a month...then get back to us.
This, exactly.

Even in my mid sized, not particularly violent city, we are at least 20 police officers short, and there are perpetual openings. This means that the officers we do have are stretched too thin.

It's a thankless job in my opinion.

Chris Rock has some excellent advice on how not to get your arse whupped by the PO lice. In a nutshell, it's "Don't break the law. Don't act like an idiot. Follow their instructions. Be polite."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am sure the Officers from Detroit and Chicago, would find it more challenging patrolling cities such as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc without a firearm.

Having to de-esculate situations using their wits and training, and often dealing with extremely violent and disturbed people suffering from mental illness and substance abuse.
There are about 6000 Authorised Firearms Officers throughout the UK. They do carry firearms.

In 2015, there were 14,666 police operations in England and Wales in which firearms were deployed and used. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-to-march-2015

Police officers do carry guns routinely in Northern Ireland both on and off duty. http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...a/firearms.pdf

The numbers of firearms officers ranges from 33 in Warwickshire to 2,122 in the Metropolitan Police.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...15-data-tables

Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I was alway taught never point agin unless you plan on killing, that lady co got out of the car pointing her gun . She planned on killing him before she got out of the car. She had to fire before her backup got in place or she wouldn't have chance
Thats not how it works in real life. Just because a cop draws their gun doesn't mean that they must fire it nor that firing it is their intent. Sometimes the display of the gun stops people from continuing to do what they are doing. There are so many of these myths and other sayings going around, there is far more to it.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am sure the Officers from Detroit and Chicago, would find it more challenging patrolling cities such as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc without a firearm.

Having to de-esculate situations using their wits and training, and often dealing with extremely violent and disturbed people suffering from mental illness and substance abuse.
Yes, the police were so ineffective in Northern Ireland the British Army was used to patrol the street and they too were killed by criminals.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Thats not how it works in real life. Just because a cop draws their gun doesn't mean that they must fire it nor that firing it is their intent. Sometimes the display of the gun stops people from continuing to do what they are doing. There are so many of these myths and other sayings going around, there is far more to it.
Edit: you were right - I misread the post you referred to. I definitely agree that it is preferable for the threat of the gun to neutralize the threat rather than having to shoot someone.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There are about 6000 Authorised Firearms Officers throughout the UK. They do carry firearms.

In 2015, there were 14,666 police operations in England and Wales in which firearms were deployed and used. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-to-march-2015

Police officers do carry guns routinely in Northern Ireland both on and off duty. http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...a/firearms.pdf

The numbers of firearms officers ranges from 33 in Warwickshire to 2,122 in the Metropolitan Police.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...15-data-tables

Very few officers in England and Scotland carry firearms, they rely on negotiating, de-escalating and retreating, use of guns here is far too frequent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...it-works-well/

Interesting seminar in Scotland attended by police chiefs from around the US regarding their techniques, different demographics, etc but food for thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/ny...dly-force.html

Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hm. This is weird. Because I'e been assured, repeatedly, that a well-armed population is the best - nay, the only - bulwark against government overreach.

Now I'm informed that due to the prevalence of firearms, US police has to escalate to deadly force much sooner than police forces in other countries?

Seems to me that being shot by police is a pretty good example of government brutality, but I am sure someone will be along to explain to me why it isn't.
That putting too much credence in what you hear from those with an agenda and less reliance on facts.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
I am, if they taste good.

So do the UK police, but much less frequently.

The sad truth is that we have millions of illegally armed, violent gang members and street criminals and they shoot police on a regular basis -- 40 so far this year. That number closely matches the number of unarmed people (42 so far this year) shot by cops, and most of those were fighting with an officer, trying to grab the officer's gun, or refusing to show their hands and/or reaching into a pocket or waistband after ignoring an officer's demands to stop.

The fact that we have so many violent criminals locked away should be a good indicator of how many violent criminals are on the streets. Have you seen our murder rate? 16,000 last year. That's a lot of bad guys.

Cops never know when a simple traffic stop or interaction will lead to deadly violence. Here's a dashcam video of a police shooting. You'll notice that the police were very polite to the driver for 9 minutes, before he began struggling, resisting arrest and pulled a gun from his waistband and shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgDoDKqgr0M

They do. Thousands of times per day. I just watched a video where a man with a knife and baseball bat was tasered before being shot several times with beanbag rounds.

Police are very well trained. If a person with a knife (or even a gun) is somewhat contained, there are no other innocents in the immediate vicinity and he isn't approaching or threatening officers, he'll be given ample opportunity to drop his weapon and if he doesn't, he'll probably be shot with a taser. But in many cases, shootings happen in the blink of an eye and officers don't have the luxury of waiting for backup, retrieving a less-lethal device or talking the subject down -- it's kill or be killed.
Police are well trained on lying and corruption.
Quote:
Authorities on Friday obtained arrest warrants for a Georgia police officer accused of lying about being shot by a suspect.
Authorities Say Georgia Cop Lied About Being Shot by Suspect - ABC News

Old 09-26-2016, 01:04 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Very few officers in England and Scotland carry firearms, they rely on negotiating, de-escalating and retreating, use of guns here is far too frequent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...it-works-well/

Interesting seminar in Scotland attended by police chiefs from around the US regarding their techniques, different demographics, etc but food for thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/ny...dly-force.html
This is a country that has a fetish for guns and large support for the death penalty. Violence is pretty much routine. It is a combination of the mentality.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I tell you what. Detroit PD, and Chicago PD are always looking for officers. Why don't you come over here and do that job for a month...then get back to us.
Baltimore is looking for a few new scapegoats, er... I mean law enforcement officers, also. I think all these folks who are so sure they can do a better job of it ought to sign up. I suspect a few days of worrying about whether you'll be able to end your work day upright and breathing would have a profound impact a person's viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies