Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 12:36 AM

1,499 posts, read 884,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Since anecdotes appear to be the order of the day:

I am alive because a surgeon diagnosed my small bowel obstruction and operated on me. He cured the obstruction. That surgery would have been a very different experience without the drugs used for anesthesia and pain relief afterwards. I broke my right wrist - shattered would be a better term - and it was repaired by a skilled hand surgeon. With physical therapy I regained full function of the hand and wrist with no arthritis and no pain. Again, Big Pharma helped make that surgery possible. I had two normal births. Thanks to Big Pharma I was able to do it with a minimum of pain due to epidural analgesia. I have hypothyroidism for which I take a small dose of levothyroxine (the "artificial" stuff that is the same as what my body used to make ... naturally, not the stuff made from pig or cow thyroid glands). I have a terrible family history of stroke and heart attack. I take medication for my high blood pressure and a statin, and I have already lived longer than many of my ancestors did. Many of my first cousins are doing the same, and so far we have only lost one of us to coronary heart disease. Thanks again, Big Pharma.

When I was a child I had measles, rubella, and chickenpox. Now children can grow up and never have to suffer through those or a bunch of other infectious diseases that can cause serious illness, disability, and sometimes death because they are prevented by vaccines. Thanks, Big Pharma!

My father had many happy years after coronary artery bypass surgery because his internist was a very astute diagnostician and decided that my dad's chest pain was not just his longstanding indigestion acting up. I have an aunt who died very young from colon cancer. I get regular colonoscopies because I do not want to get that disease and many cases can be prevented with removal of precancerous polyps.

My mother in law has had both breast cancer and melanoma. Both were caught early and cured. She is now 93 years old and going strong. She takes few medications and no "supps".

I have a paternal aunt who had breast cancer: cured many years ago. She is in her 90s now.

One daughter in law had a Cesarean section because my granddaughter's heart rate showed some abnormalities during labor, which was not progressing well. The attachment of the umbilical cord to the placenta was extremely abnormal; without the C-section, my granddaughter would have died.

My husband had a very early melanoma removed from his face. Cured. He also had appendicitis when he was a child: cured with surgery.

I already mentioned my older son and his leukemia cure. Was it a grueling experience? Yes, but there was an entire team of fantastic doctors and nurses supporting us all the way - caring for my child. That's just my family's stories of lots of caring, skilled doctors at work.

Physicians do care and they do cure people.

Nature killed my paternal grandmother. She was struck by lightning.

SuzyQ. Is a smart lady!

A niece called me..her 82 year old dad...also never got any tests or saw a doc

Yep..rectal cancer found
D on his first colo...Mets to lungs and livers

Very poor prognosis

Old 10-13-2019, 09:14 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Just wondering how your friend got asthma from a surgery or auto accident
One has to be very careful and not miss an aspirated foreign body with that history.

When I was in training we had a patient with 'asthma' since WW2. Turned out he was working in a plastics factory where they had an explosion. At brochoscopy they removed the plastic and the patient was cured!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Either
Do youagain

Sternum injuries do not cause asthma..
But you certainly can have associated lung trauma and respiratory distress. My wife had this (among many other injuries) with our near fatal head on crash 1/1/17.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
One has to be very careful and not miss an aspirated foreign body with that history.

When I was in training we had a patient with 'asthma' since WW2. Turned out he was working in a plastics factory where they had an explosion. At brochoscopy they removed the plastic and the patient was cured!
This is why it is dangerous to 'play doctor' in forums. Unless a you have a medical degree and personally examined the patient and have access to a thorough patient history as well as any related test results, there is NO WAY any person on this forum can make a diagnosis.

Although a few of them *always* know better than the patient and/or the doctor, and somehow, depending on what agenda they are pushing, can make a 100% accurate diagnosis.

Go figure.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:21 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's a huge game that has been going on for decades.

There was talking about "curing" the common cold when I was a kid.

And forget that "run for cancer cures". Cancer is mega business.

My sister counted on mega $1000's in drugs to slow down the MS she is challenged with, she is
totally worse and has so declined.

It's NOT in the Industry's best interests to CURE AND HEAL. They have to answer to stockholders, major pharma companies....

Keep developing drugs to keep more bandaids going, keep patients coming back.

And Keep THEM all employed.

A game they play and MOST fall for it.

Pharma Industry isn't the only game in town, but a huge one.
The next time you or any member of ypur fsamily is sick, have alife threatening accident, diagnosed with cancer, etc. do NOT go to a doctor or take ANY of their pills.

Me thinks you would be hypocrite and BEG for their help!

Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The next time you or any member of ypur fsamily is sick, have alife threatening accident, diagnosed with cancer, etc. do NOT go to a doctor or take ANY of their pills.

Me thinks you would be hypocrite and BEG for their help!
There is a HUGE difference between care for a trauma (example: car accident) and chronic disease management.

Trauma care is lifesaving and functional. It serves an immediate and necessary, very clear purpose.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:18 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I haven't read through this thread, but as far as pharmaceuticals are concerned, I'd venture to guess that many people are overmedicated in this country.

She is still in heart failure, and there is no fixing that, but the fact that she felt immediately better once she stopped being overmedicated is something that needs to be acknowledged. We as a population are being overprescribed to serve the bottom lines of the big pharma industry. That is something that needs to be investigated.
your mother's decision to get off the meds is unusual though. We all certainly take too many rightly-expensive medications at the direction of the doctor, without further consideration of what the drugs do to us.

An "elderly" patient that isn't encouraged to simply live their life out is being poorly advised. The vast % of us are willing to try ANYTHING that MIGHT work because of fear of the natural occurrence of death.

Yes, Doctors play "god" because they have drugs at their disposal that may save lives. Rarely are we hearing "this will cost $10's of thousands of dollars with marginal improvement. Is that what you want?" That advice is not what consumers demand.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
your mother's decision to get off the meds is unusual though. We all certainly take too many rightly-expensive medications at the direction of the doctor, without further consideration of what the drugs do to us.

An "elderly" patient that isn't encouraged to simply live their life out is being poorly advised. The vast % of us are willing to try ANYTHING that MIGHT work because of fear of the natural occurrence of death.

Yes, Doctors play "god" because they have drugs at their disposal that may save lives. Rarely are we hearing "this will cost $10's of thousands of dollars with marginal improvement. Is that what you want?" That advice is not what consumers demand.

It is part of the docs' job to know about the drugs side effects and explain that to the patients.

The last depends a whole lot on insurance coverage.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:26 PM

37,093 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:

Who was the astute clinician who identified the source of the problem?

There had to be an indication to do the bronchoscopy.

Quote:
But you certainly can have associated lung trauma and respiratory distress. My wife had this (among many other injuries) with our near fatal head on crash 1/1/17.
However, her respiratory distress was not called asthma, was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is a HUGE difference between care for a trauma (example: car accident) and chronic disease management.

Trauma care is lifesaving and functional. It serves an immediate and necessary, very clear purpose.
Treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis provides no immediate and necessary, very clear purpose?

Treatment of pneumonia provides no immediate and necessary, very clear purpose?

Treatment of hypertension provides no immediate and necessary, very clear purpose?

Treatment of heart failure provides no immediate and necessary, very clear purpose?

Treatment of kidney failure provides no immediate and necessary, very clear purpose?

Treatment of various cancers provides no immediate and necessary, very clear purpose?

Old 10-13-2019, 02:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Just wondering how your friend got asthma from a surgery or auto accident
This.

How is that even humanly possible? I'm serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies