Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,288,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
LOL...now Ryan and McConnell are trying to walk this whole thing back, and claiming "Obama didn't warn us enough." What a bunch of clowns.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:23 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,753,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't see them struggling at all. The Benjamins won't be an issue for them--they've got the Benjamins and they've got the lawyers. But they also have the means for payback for the offense along a number of economic lines.
Actually, they are struggling. Their entire economy is based on oil, unlike the US with agriculture, technology, entertainment, services, automotive...etc.

The oil crash has hurt them quite badly. This is why OPEC decided to turn down the spigots to raise oil prices. They held out as long as they could in their somewhat successful attempt to short circuit our oil industry boom.

Saudi Arabia's looming financial disaster - May. 9, 2016

Saudi Arabia may go broke before the US oil industry buckles

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/s...mic-time-bomb/

They need our dollars far more than we need their oil at this point. If they try to make something "hard on us" we could wipe them out by cutting oil imports from them, oil prices would climb back over $100 and all of our closed wells would be turned back on to high within weeks.

They would be bankrupted, like any company losing their biggest client would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yep. Behold the party of personal responsibility. They override the president's veto and then blame the president for somehow not stopping them from overriding his veto. There never was a more worthless bunch than today's Congressional Republicans. They can't even take responsibility for their own actions. Pathetic.

Oh please... selective ignorance on display. You act as if the dems didn't veto Obama. Jeez... I wish the partisan menagerie would wake up to the fact that both sides are equally corrupt, an this us vs them meme is how they play you daily.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,016,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Oh please... selective ignorance on display. You act as if the dems didn't veto Obama. Jeez... I wish the partisan menagerie would wake up to the fact that both sides are equally corrupt, an this us vs them meme is how they play you daily.
Oh, please. I was referring to Mitch McConnell blaming President Obama for not somehow stopping them from overriding his veto. You can deflect all you like, but McConnell did exactly that, saying this:

Quote:
"I think it was just a ball dropped,” McConnell added. “I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him, and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, uh, we had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.”
But here's the catch. The Republicans have been working on this legislation since April. And Obama has opposed it all along and vetoed it when it landed on his desk. But now they are blaming Obama because they overrode his veto and didn't know what the possible ramifications of the bill could be? At what point do they take some responsibility instead of trying to blame their own actions on the president?

Yeah, let's talk about "selective ignorance" and the "partisan menagerie."

Last edited by JAMS14; 09-30-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 08:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,629,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
LOL...now Ryan and McConnell are trying to walk this whole thing back, and claiming "Obama didn't warn us enough." What a bunch of clowns.

Typical.

Of course, the fact that they debated this bill back in APRIL will be completely ignored.

Before criticism started blowing up around the world over JASTA, Republicans accused Obama of doing too much to kill the bill they are now worried about. And Cornyn in particular was angry about it. He said so in April, on the Senate floor, just before Obama went to meet with the Saudis.

“Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn,†Cornyn said."

Congress Now Blaming Obama For Its Embarrassing Override Of His Veto | Huffington Post

Old 09-30-2016, 09:01 AM

28,599 posts, read 18,634,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Actually, they are struggling. Their entire economy is based on oil, unlike the US with agriculture, technology, entertainment, services, automotive...etc.

The oil crash has hurt them quite badly. This is why OPEC decided to turn down the spigots to raise oil prices. They held out as long as they could in their somewhat successful attempt to short circuit our oil industry boom.

Saudi Arabia's looming financial disaster - May. 9, 2016

Saudi Arabia may go broke before the US oil industry buckles

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/s...mic-time-bomb/

They need our dollars far more than we need their oil at this point. If they try to make something "hard on us" we could wipe them out by cutting oil imports from them, oil prices would climb back over $100 and all of our closed wells would be turned back on to high within weeks.

They would be bankrupted, like any company losing their biggest client would.
Or they could decide to start accepting Euros, Yuan, or even gold for their oil instead of only US dollars.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 AM

56,959 posts, read 25,922,798 times
as expected

Quote:
Some Arabic Twitter users shared a photo montage that depicted U.S. military actions in Japan and Vietnam, as well as naked Iraqi prisoners in Abu Ghraib prison being humiliated by smiling U.S. troops. It read: "Japan, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan can't wait for JASTA to be implemented so they can, in turn, prosecute the U.S."
.................................................. ...
"That's the only way to see it," Bafana said, pointing to White House support of the 18-month-long Saudi-led intervention in Yemen and U.S. drone strikes launched from Saudi Arabia that have killed Yemeni civilians.

Arab responses to 9/11 bill point to US interventions abroad | Newsday

Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,447,161 times
Election year shenanigans by Congress, a money grab by the 9/11 families and hatefulness of Obama by Republicans. I can't wait for the countless lawsuits that will hit American taxpayers very hard. As an example, the US is not at war with Pakistan but we have killed a lot of innocents by drone strikes in that country. Many American lawyers will be flying to Pakistan to set up lawsuits against the US government.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,972,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Election year shenanigans by Congress, a money grab by the 9/11 families and hatefulness of Obama by Republicans. I can't wait for the countless lawsuits that will hit American taxpayers very hard. As an example, the US is not at war with Pakistan but we have killed a lot of innocents by drone strikes in that country. Many American lawyers will be flying to Pakistan to set up lawsuits against the US government.
Why shouldn't they? Should there not be repercussions for illegally killing innocent people?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,778,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/b]

My crystal ball says the US will regret overriding this veto.
I think they will too. I am not a fan of Obama at all, but I do agree with him vetoing it. This is a very bad idea to allow this go pass and become law.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:48 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,016,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I think they will too. I am not a fan of Obama at all, but I do agree with him vetoing it. This is a very bad idea to allow this go pass and become law.
It's part of the eight year long knee-jerk reaction by Congressional Republicans to oppose anything and everything that Obama wants. It doesn't matter what it is, if Obama is against it they are for it and vice versa. These are the "adults" in charge of Congress right now. And now they have really screwed themselves. Idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies