Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:40 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No. You are propagating their views so you need to take responsibility for starting a thread claiming this, don't start crawfishing.

I mean seriously, do you just believe it because it's on the internet?
"Propagating their views"

You mean like taking words out of context and twisting them to mean something else so you can paint the speakers in a bad light to fit and promote your agenda?

Isn't that what the Left constantly does to others?

Like.....for a living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It doesn’t get any clearer than that. The NAACP is saying that becoming a police officer robs a black man of his black essence. That black cops are no longer truly black and must surrender their “black card” to the NAACP. In the context of the Keith Scott shooting, this statement also implies that black police officers are transformed into racist white killers of innocent black men.

NAACP Says Black Cops Are Not Real Black People

Please someone tell me this is NOT an April Fools joke. ^^^

This really can't be true, it had to be misinterpreted or something. The world is getting dumber by the day....

What scares me , some will believe this.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:49 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
" Naacp says black cops are not real black people "

Well that's just silly, they get it coming from all directions. I've never met a black cop that wasn't nice either.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:04 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
You would think that black communities and civic groups who wanted better relations with police would, first of all, support the black officers in their local departments. I seem to recall that, once upon a time, there was a big push in this country to get more minority officers in the ranks.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I wonder what my father would think. He is Black, and has Black friends who are police officers/retired police officers.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Your OP link does not say what your title says. I agree with the NAACP of Charlotte-Mecklenberg county in regards to below:
Quote:

“Many black people who become police officers become blue, not black,” the local organization said Tuesday. “In order for you to survive in a police department, you take on the police department’s ideology, ways of life, and culture.”
What they stated is the truth IMO and I am a black person. I have repeatedly stated on this forum that IMO the issues with police are not based upon the skin color of the officer and that "white" officers are not the problem. It is the police culture in certain departments that are the problem and no matter the ethnicity of the officers if there is a (blue) culture of corruption and covering their a$$es, then you will have more of an environment that overlooks or permits "bad" officers and their "bad" behavior, including assaulting and killing the public unnecessarily.

ETA: This is a common thought of MANY black people in America. A majority of us, IMO know that black officers are just as bad and sometimes worse than white police officers because we have had horrible run-ins with black officers. I have had MANY bad exchanges with black police officers and none at all with white officers. It is not about the race of the officer. People who believe that it is (especially black people) IMO just want to make this more of a racial issue than it is. And FWIW I do feel that police abuse and brutality is an issue that affects ALL Americans and I wish more Americans would wake up to this fact and not get all upset by silly mentions of color like "black lives matter" and realize that black people just are much more apt to speak up about injustices than other demographics in this country but the injustices that impact us on a disparate level are also impacting other demographics in some way.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
You would think that black communities and civic groups who wanted better relations with police would, first of all, support the black officers in their local departments. I seem to recall that, once upon a time, there was a big push in this country to get more minority officers in the ranks.
See my post above. It is about police culture. You all are ignoring the fact that the officer who shot this man in Charlotte was a black officer. The officer in SC who helped the white officer cover up Scott Walker's assassination was a black officer. There were 3 black officers involved in Freddy Gray's death.

Police culture in certain departments is much more of an issue that supporting an officer in that department just because he/she is black. I'm not going to support a murderer just because he/she is black whether they are a police officer or not.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, thanks for supporting your post with a solid news source. Greatly appreciated. I hope you can understand why we have to ask.

You make a valid point, I once saw an NAACP website have a timeline of great moments for blacks and it listed all kinds of legislation etc. If the person that did it was a democrat they have (D) if it was a positive, and left blank if it was a negative. The reverse was true for Republicans whose bad actions were labeled (R) and the good ones labeled blank behind the persons name.

It's part of the reason someone like Rahm Emanuel is still sitting in the mayors office in Chicago after keeping the shooting video of Laquan McDonald under wraps for A YEAR and then paying off the family but finally after the press got the video....they charged the cop with murder.

Yep. Hold a video a week in some parts of the US and it's a huge issue. Keep it quiet for a year in Chicago? some protests, nothing major.
I'd like to see your NAACP timeline of important moments for blacks with this supposed political bias. Many of the founding, black members of the NAACP were Republicans so I'm not buying that that is correct. Also the NAACP had just as many issues in their history of fighting for legislation and fighting court cases under a democratically controlled government as a republican controlled government.

On Chicago, it is a different city from Charlotte. Contrary to what many of you believe on this forum, not all black people go out and riot just because they are black and someone was killed. It depends on the area.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
You have to respect and empower law enforcement and understand that you are a king or a queen and they are YOUR palace guards...first you have to carry yourself with dignity. This talk about racism feeds racism. To bad that people allowed black ghettos to form in the old days and did not make an effort to allow black skinned people to really integrate.

The term African American was also a mistake...Americans with dark skins have nothing to do with Africa..this progressive crap telling black skinned people that they are "beautiful" was silly...people already know who they are.

All I can say as a man who was born blonde and blue eyed - and considered an immigrant as a child and was abused because I was different - was it was up to me eventually to carry myself with dignity. In my area there were no black skinned people, except for one black family where I took music lessons.

They had a son named Marvin. I played with the kid after my piano lesson was over...He was not black...He was Marvin. Only later did I learn through society - that Marvin was supposedly different...I never saw that as a child...racism is taught....

Black kids are taught that white people are bad...and white kids are taught that black people are bad.

This is a lie.
People viewed in the past and today anyone with white skin and blonde hair and blue eyes as being a standard of beauty. Not so for non-white/European people in this country in particular (and in many places around the world). That is the reason why "black is beautiful" is something that is touted amongst black Americans and especially so amongst black American females. And FWIW, it works as black females are the only women in America who have a positive view of our physical bodies. This is based solely on the fact that our mothers and grandmothers tell us from an early age (and I have already told my daughter) that "society's" view of beautify (the European standard or some sort of multi-ethnic mixture) does not apply to black girls/women. We are inherently beautiful and we cannot forget it because if we pay attention to society, we will be ridiculed and demeaned based on our appearance by too many people. So we listen to our mothers and grandmothers and we see our beauty for what it is.

The police are not palace guards. They are public servants. I am black and I have relatives who are police officers and nearly every male in my family in my dad's generation and half in my own generation served in the military or are currently serving.

In the 17th century black people in America were called "Africans." That is the reason why many of the original institutions created by black Americans include the word "African" such as the AME church (African Methodist Episcopal) which was created in the late 1700s. Having African features means one has African ancestry and even though I don't call myself an "African" American, there is nothing wrong with highlighting one's African-ness unless you think it is a bad thing to claim to be ethnically African.

I agree with you though that racism is a taught behavior. However, IMO racism is not at play with these comments. The NAACP spokesperson did not say that whites were inferior to blacks. The idea that a group of people are superior or inferior to another based on physical appearance is "racism" not stating that the culture of police departments is an equalizer for officers in PDs and they become a part of the organization regardless of their ethnicity.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM

31,029 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Your OP link does not say what your title says. I agree with the NAACP of Charlotte-Mecklenberout stg county in regards to below:What they stated is the truth IMO and I am a boook stlack person. I have repeatedly stated on this forum that IMO the issues with police are not based upon the skin color of the officer and that "white" officers are not the problem. It is the police culture in certain departments that are the problem and no matter the ethnicity of the officers if there is a (blue) culture of corruption and covering their a$$es, then you will have more of an environment that overlooks or permits "bad" officers and their "bad" behavior, including assaulting and killing the public unnecessarily.

ETA: This is a common thought of MANY black people in America. A majority of us, IMO know that black officers are just as bad and sometimes worse than white police officers because we have had horrible run-ins with black officers. I have had MANY bad exchanges with black police officers and none at all with white officers. It is not about the race of the officer. People who believe that it is (especially black people) IMO just want to make this more of a racial issue than it is. And FWIW I do feel that police abuse and brutality is an issue that affects ALL Americans and I wish more Americans would wake up to this fact and not get all upset by silly mentions of color like "black lives matter" and realize that black people just are much more apt to speak up about injustices than other demographics in this country but the injustices that impact us on a disparate level are also impacting other demographics in some way.
I agree with most of what you said. I was raised in an environment that was not 100% trusting of the police. Like most all tribes, teams, gangs or any groups of people there will be group loyalty that is almost unwavering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies