Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times

Advertisements

Let's start with this: why would a Democrat vote for Gary Johnson? Ignoring how unpopular Clinton and Trump are, if a Democrat is to vote third party, there is no sane reason they'd go with a Libertarian. Not that Johnson really embodies Libertarianism as a philosophy. He support free trade, which makes sense, but he also uses that to justify his support of the TTP. A Libertarian would just open up the borders and say trade with and hire whoever the hell you want. So really, Johnson is more just a socially liberal Republican, which means even more so that a Democrat would not logically vote for Johnson as the two parties represent two different things.

Here's the thing; I get and truly respect and sympathize with you're view. But there is problem: reality.

We live in a two party system. There is no denying this. Maybe (I'd say hopefully) we can change it to one day allow for more diversity in government, but until that day, voting third party is either the equivalent of not voting OR voting for the person you oppose more. As an example, many Democrats are rightfully not too pleased about Hillary Clinton's nomination. While many do legitimately like her, many find her not so great or even contrary to their views on where the Democratic party is or should be. If they were to vote third party, their rational go to would be Jill Stein as she's closer to the Democratic party values than Johnson. If a huge portion of Democrat voters went with Stein, this would mean fewer votes for Hillary and therefore, Trump would likely emerge with more votes, giving the election to someone who is even farther from a dissatisfied Democrats worldview than Clinton would have been.

I respect those who still wish to vote third party. One day, I hope doing this will do something. Until then, I don't think it's reasonable for us to say it's unjust to vote for someone you don't like because they're a better alternative than someone you really don't like. Until we actually have more than two options, recognizing the reality that we're either getting Trump or Clinton is, in my mind, not selling out. Believe me, if I thought it would work, I'd vote for Jill Stein (or better yet, write in Bernie), but it won't. You can say I lack principle for voting Clinton if you'd like, though I'd disagree. When you want the government to reflect your values, which is what voting is for anyone who thinks that sounds like I'm trying to take over, you have to be willing to let it happen in stages. My hope is that Hillary's low approval ratings will push her in a direction that will be an improvement and help change the Democratic party for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 11:53 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Switch over and vote for Gary Johnson? Why one of the most unlikeable, elitist, corrupt goofs, who has a track record of failure or doing nothing for 30 years in the public sector?

Why not throw your vote to a 3rd party. Why Hillary? Just looking at snobby, elitist attitude on stage is enough to make one sick.

If people hate Trump that much vote independent. Especially Bernie supporters who totally hosed by the DNC
Because we want to keep Trump out of the White House more than ANYTHING ELSE. As revulsed as you are about Clinton, we're that revulsed about Trump. And a vote for Johnson or Stein by someone who is voting against Trump is a wasted vote, because neither one of them is going to get any electoral votes, except in an alternate, fantasy universe. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:06 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
True.

There is no black presidential candidate in 2016.

Black turnout will be down significantly from 2008 and 2012.
Not so sure...hope got them off the couch in 2008

Fear will get them off the couch in 2016--Trump scares the bejesus out of the Black and Hispanic voters.

I'm one of those who are voting 'against' rather than 'for'--This mostly because I'm a Republican--and I feel it my duty to do what I can to keep an obviously unfit candidate from taking office.

Clinton is closer to the Right on business and foreign affairs than Anderson..so Clinton it is.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Switch over and vote for Gary Johnson? Why one of the most unlikeable, elitist, corrupt goofs, who has a track record of failure or doing nothing for 30 years in the public sector?

Why not throw your vote to a 3rd party. Why Hillary? Just looking at snobby, elitist attitude on stage is enough to make one sick.

If people hate Trump that much vote independent. Especially Bernie supporters who totally hosed by the DNC
Because the most dangerous man to receive the Republican nomination for president in modern history is a **** hair away from being able to destroy our country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies