Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times

Advertisements

State charted banks, project referendums within a federal GDP ratio constraint to stop unrestricted phony asset pork barreling. Lets say no more than 5% GDP.

There, that was easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 11:30 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Wasteful military spending on things like the F-35 when all we need are a supply of nukes at the ready (I know many will disagree with that statement but I believe nukes are a great deterrent to war) ... take that black budget money and use it to fix our infrastructure.
the only thing nuclear weapons deter is a global war, and even then if a terrorist group were to get their hands on a nuclear weapon, they would in fact USE IT because they dont care about life. i agree that the F35 is a wasteful program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The bureaucracy is one major part of the problem. My sister is in Planning and has complained recently about how the DER regulations have doubled. Try getting sewage permits or, worse yet, subdividing. I am not saying that all regulation is bad; but we are enacting many regulations to simply create jobs.

I was at one Township meeting where they were the residents were talking about getting hooked up to one new central sewage line. They gave the business owners 90 days to make the connection. The engineering took over 90 days! The Township did grant them an extension; but, yes, everything takes time and more money.
regulations tend to kill jobs not create them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nothing?

Congress controls the purse strings. 99% of campaign intentions require Congress to act. There is never certainty that Congress will play ball even when POTUS and majority are aligned by party.

This, from 2011, shows Congress denied an increase in infrastructure funding.

Third Obama jobs bill blocked in Senate - Washington Times

Then at the end of 2015, a major bill finally clears Congress:

Congress Passes a $305 Billion Infrastructure Bill - The Atlantic
once again i ask WHY do we continue ot look to the federal government to solve state and local problems? please keep the feds OUT of these issues. they spend too damned much money now, and screw up just about everything they touch.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:31 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Yeah I'm trying but it won't work but try the www.progressiverailronding.com
Then after getting on said site try typing in NS railroad Norfolk Virginia pier expansion...
I did find one article on the NS pier expansion: Rail News - Port of Virginia signs long-term lease, paves way for expansion. For Railroad Career Professionals. It sounds as if they are still working on the second phase. Has BNSF lost market share to NS?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
We used to have a toll booth on the old Grant Bridge across the Ohio River that helped with the up keep
The West Virginia turnpike does this today as does the Ohio turnpike I believe.As long as the fee's are reasonable why not?
Yep. Just recently traveled it both ways. Toll for using it? Fine by me.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:29 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Get private business to run the repairs etc. Get government oversight out of the business of running stuff. Government oversight only increases costs. Governors of states need to allocate money to fix things, but not run them. Government is a consumer. Pay someone to fix it, and hold them accountable.
Yeahright that's what China has done and the quality and safety of their products are less than unacceptable.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing nuclear weapons deter is a global war, and even then if a terrorist group were to get their hands on a nuclear weapon, they would in fact USE IT because they dont care about life. i agree that the F35 is a wasteful program.

regulations tend to kill jobs not create them.

once again i ask WHY do we continue ot look to the federal government to solve state and local problems? please keep the feds OUT of these issues. they spend too damned much money now, and screw up just about everything they touch.
Wrong. Is the military screwed up or is it the strongest, best in the world? Is the post office screwed up or is postage cheaper and as reliable as FedEx and UPS? Is Medicare more expensive than private insurance? How screwed up is your fire department?

Reagan started the lies about the problem being government and the right just swallowed it with no thought. It's BS!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
On the thread about the recent train crash in Hoboken, NJ, I suggested we discuss infrastructural problems and potential resolutions. I thought we should have a separate thread. Here it is.

Most of the problems associated with out infrastructure (railroads, auto highways, bridges, waterworks including drinking water, irrigation, flood control, airports, Air traffic control, and all the rest are wearing out as this economy has failed to allocate enough money to support these systems. So how do we catch up with the existing demand and get far enough to keep tragedies like the collapse of the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis from happening. Where do we get the expertise to design, build and inspect these things let alone the money to do so?

Anecdotally I have driven over, under and through enough bridges that I am beginning to believe that rust is a structural material and concrete was poured with holes.
Infrastructure repair is not a new political issue. Democrats have always wanted infrastructure repairs and republicans have always wanted supply side tax cuts.

GW Bush decided against doing infrastructure repairs and instead did $3 trillion dollars of supply side tax cuts (giving the richest 1% of Americans 52% of the tax cuts.)
Overtaxed Infrastructure
Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

Democrats would have not given the richest 1% of Americans tax cuts, and instead used that tax revenue for infrastructure repairs.

Obama passed a stimulus bill that included over $100 billion dollars for needed infrastructure repairs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nt_Act_of_2009

And Obama also tried to end Bush's tax cuts for the richest 2% of Americans, but republicans wanted those tax cuts for the top 2% so bad they stopped middle class tax cuts to protect the tax cuts for the richest 2%.
GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News

And the coming 2016 election is the same thing. If Donald Trump wins he will stop $300 billion dollars of spending on infrastructure repairs, and instead do trillions of dollars in tax cuts (giving the richest 5% of Americans 51% of the tax cuts.)

Promises and Price Tags: A Fiscal Guide to the 2016 Election | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Donald Trump's Tax Plan Would Cost $12 Trillion | CTJReports

In the end its American voters who choose whether we do infrastructure repairs or supply side tax cuts. But unforchantly too many American voters want the supply side tax cuts (and even when they raise our national debt to dangerous levels.)

Promises and Price Tags: A Fiscal Guide to the 2016 Election | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
On the thread about the recent train crash in Hoboken, NJ, I suggested we discuss infrastructural problems and potential resolutions. I thought we should have a separate thread. Here it is.

Most of the problems associated with out infrastructure (railroads, auto highways, bridges, waterworks including drinking water, irrigation, flood control, airports, Air traffic control, and all the rest are wearing out as this economy has failed to allocate enough money to support these systems. So how do we catch up with the existing demand and get far enough to keep tragedies like the collapse of the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis from happening. Where do we get the expertise to design, build and inspect these things let alone the money to do so?

Anecdotally I have driven over, under and through enough bridges that I am beginning to believe that rust is a structural material and concrete was poured with holes.
If we had not been siphoning off money from the Highway Trust fund for that last two decades to support mass transit we would have either a huge surplus, better roads or both. Clearly the first thing to do is cut funding to mass transit and have them support themselves.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Increase the gas tax and/or car registration fees. This will raise more revenue, increase use of mass transit, reduce demand for foreign oil, decrease pollution, encourage smaller cars, decrease traffic, allow income/sales tax dollars used on transportation to be used for other things, etc.
You are under the impression the fuel tax and registration fees are the only source of revenue from cars? Loooooooooooool.

In addition to the fuel tax part of which is already used to fund mass transit and the registration fees this is what I pay. Yearly inspection fee, title transfer fees and the sales tax on the vehicle that can easily rival the fuel tax over the life of a vehicle if it's sold 3 times.

Add to that the vast revenue from traffic enforcement, tax revenue from auto makers and their employees, tax revenue from local shops and their employees, various odds and ends like the excise tax on some tires and last but not least if I park my car in Philadelphia half the fee is equally split between the city and the school district which is spent on nothing to do with the costs of parking the car.

Other than the fare that does not cover costs and a $9 hamburger that cost Amtrak $16 to make what is the person riding Amtrak paying?

Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Henry Ford had an idea 100 years ago that might need to be revisited:

Alistair McConnachie Prosperity Thomas Edison debt free money | Prosperity UK

We have central Gov't drop helicopter money onto every community in the US on some per capita basis. There would be small town, county, city and state moneys. All to be used toward the infrastructure/improvements those communities or states most desire.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ack-in-the-air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies