Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

It seems like with the ultra-politically correct culture that makes it an absolute taboo to single-out certain groups as having a higher per-capita rate of negative social traits will make it difficult to solve problems when they arise.

The tabloid culture as of now I think also makes it difficult as an isolated case now goes viral and a certain sector into an out all out hysteria.

Emotions now are more important then logic and statistics when it comes to solutions to social problems facing the country.

One can't bring up issues that is isolated in per-capita numbers of certain demographic and social groups without being called intolerant, bigoted and prejudiced.

Also it seems like if a study is done and the outcome shows any sort bias against a certain group then the study or statistic itself is blamed.

Negative statistics for instance are immediately rebuttled with a it's an "apples to orange" comparison.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 09-29-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It seems like with the ultra-politically correct culture that makes it an absolute taboo to single-out certain groups as having a higher per-capita rate of negative social traits will make it difficult to solve problems when they arise.

The tabloid culture as of now I think also makes it difficult as an isolated case now goes viral and a certain sector into an out all out hysteria.

Emotions now are more important then logic and statistics when it comes to solutions to social problems facing the country.

One can't bring up issues that is isolated in per-capita numbers of certain demographic and social groups without being called intolerant, bigoted and prejudiced.

Also it seems like if a study is done and the outcome shows any sort bias against a certain group then the study or statistic itself is blamed.

Negative statistics for instance are immediately rebuttled with a it's an "apples to orange" comparison.
hey now, don't forget the big one.

Spoiler
!!!!RACIST!!!!

Old 09-29-2016, 03:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Whites are more susceptible to atrial fibrillation than blacks.

Cue riots.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:24 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Firstly, that culture doesn't exist. I mean, it does, but it's not as if that's replacing anything. Despite what some say, the concept of political correctness is not modern. It's always existed. Certain things have always been taboo. It's just what is taboo has changed. The same crowd complaining that we can't talk about the dangers of radical Islam or black on black violence are also the type that think that TV showing gay relationships is a little weird. Because most of those people come from an older generally come from a generation where subtle racism (or even blatant racism) is no big deal but being gay is a controversy. And if they're not from that generation, they believe that generation was better. And it wasn't for most people.

The reaction against this "1950s were amazing" thing is a bit extreme at times. The idea that you can't be racist to white people is absurd but also, it's mostly just because white people do seem to have less of a stomach for it. Very subtle racism against whites is usually met with some sort of claim of anti-white genocide or anti-Christian nonsense when that same treatment of others races is usually explained away. Example, making negative assumptions about Christians being homophobic or intolerant is unfair but those same assumptions about Muslims being terrorist are us just "saying how it is." I'm of the view that this creates self fulfilling prophecies. When you accuse all Christians of being homophobic, their views of the people expressing that view likely get worse, which leads to more homophobia as a reaction. Same deal with terrorism. To me that's obvious, but apparently the enduring war on terror leading to more terrorism might mean something else to people. And while I think calling Trump a racist is a lazy criticism generally made by people who don't feel like putting any thought or effort into their politics, his anti-Muslim sentiment makes great recruitment for ISIS.

As for the issues of statistics not mattering, that has nothing to do with political correctness at all. At least not exclusively. Plenty of people ignore statistics for a variety of reasons, usually that they either don't trust the institution that published them (some times justifiably so, sometimes not) or that the statistics contradict what they believe to be true. Example; black on black violence is more common. Objectively. Now, this doesn't necessarily have to diminish BLM or whatever. Just because cops shoot more white people than black people does not immediately mean that racism is not involved in the death of black people at the hand of white people or cops. The issue that I see is that neither side seems interested in doing that. They just want to be right. And it's not a liberal issue either; creationists are honestly even easier to disprove. They did not vote for Barrack Obama.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
You can still say that in-bred rednecks are more likely to spawn mutant children.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Firstly, that culture doesn't exist. I mean, it does, but it's not as if that's replacing anything. Despite what some say, the concept of political correctness is not modern. It's always existed. Certain things have always been taboo. It's just what is taboo has changed. The same crowd complaining that we can't talk about the dangers of radical Islam or black on black violence are also the type that think that TV showing gay relationships is a little weird. Because most of those people come from an older generally come from a generation where subtle racism (or even blatant racism) is no big deal but being gay is a controversy. And if they're not from that generation, they believe that generation was better. And it wasn't for most people.

The reaction against this "1950s were amazing" thing is a bit extreme at times. The idea that you can't be racist to white people is absurd but also, it's mostly just because white people do seem to have less of a stomach for it. Very subtle racism against whites is usually met with some sort of claim of anti-white genocide or anti-Christian nonsense when that same treatment of others races is usually explained away. Example, making negative assumptions about Christians being homophobic or intolerant is unfair but those same assumptions about Muslims being terrorist are us just "saying how it is." I'm of the view that this creates self fulfilling prophecies. When you accuse all Christians of being homophobic, their views of the people expressing that view likely get worse, which leads to more homophobia as a reaction. Same deal with terrorism. To me that's obvious, but apparently the enduring war on terror leading to more terrorism might mean something else to people. And while I think calling Trump a racist is a lazy criticism generally made by people who don't feel like putting any thought or effort into their politics, his anti-Muslim sentiment makes great recruitment for ISIS.

As for the issues of statistics not mattering, that has nothing to do with political correctness at all. At least not exclusively. Plenty of people ignore statistics for a variety of reasons, usually that they either don't trust the institution that published them (some times justifiably so, sometimes not) or that the statistics contradict what they believe to be true. Example; black on black violence is more common. Objectively. Now, this doesn't necessarily have to diminish BLM or whatever. Just because cops shoot more white people than black people does not immediately mean that racism is not involved in the death of black people at the hand of white people or cops. The issue that I see is that neither side seems interested in doing that. They just want to be right. And it's not a liberal issue either; creationists are honestly even easier to disprove. They did not vote for Barrack Obama.
For some reason my Rep. Button won't work for you or Banjomike--so let's be clear...very good post--it'll probably sink like a stone--as your last paragraph stated...people just want to be seen as right.
Even if they're Left.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You can still say that in-bred rednecks are more likely to spawn mutant children.

First cousin marriage is common in Islamic culture. Both physicians and politicians in Europe, particularly the UK, have spoken out about the high incidence of birth defects among its Muslim populations.

But it's racist of me to even mention it.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
First cousin marriage is common in Islamic culture. Both physicians and politicians in Europe, particularly the UK, have spoken out about the high incidence of birth defects among its Muslim populations.

But it's racist of me to even mention it.
First cousin marriage is rather common among Catholics among other groups. They seem to survive...though who knows. Maybe they are going to start giving us weird children...might be fun.

You checking out Catholic demographics?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

Wrong on so many levels.

First, there is actually a large group within the Millennials that despise the PC culture. They just don't get as much press as their (unfortunately) larger peer group that can't walk from point A to point B without being offended.

And these young people don't yearn for the 1950s. They are perfectly aligned with their peers in terms of enjoying modern technology and most other youth culture ideals.

White people don't have "less of a stomach" for racism. I say this as a non-white. They happen to be the subject of racism now more than ever when

A. Unlike the 1950s you would have to seriously go out of your way not to be exposed or have the opportunity to be exposed to other races/religions/cultures/etc

and

B. Also unlike the 1950s we have this crap on tape.

What leftist authoritarians don't understand is that we now have the ability to dissect these incidents on a case-by-case basis due to technology and information sharing. So when a white guy walks up to and kills a black guy and yells "die N" we label that as a racist killing. But when a black guy breaks down the door of a white homeowner wearing full burglar garb and gets his head blown off we don't label that as racist.

However, the media will still label both as racist. That's the biggest issue we face. It's why even though we have statistical proof and case history of racism within the CJ system whites (and any logical non-white) is not going to listen to/support the cause of groups/the media who point to cases that are clearly not racist incidents...over and over and over again.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:08 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wrong on so many levels.

First, there is actually a large group within the Millennials that despise the PC culture. They just don't get as much press as their (unfortunately) larger peer group that can't walk from point A to point B without being offended.

And these young people don't yearn for the 1950s. They are perfectly aligned with their peers in terms of enjoying modern technology and most other youth culture ideals.

White people don't have "less of a stomach" for racism. I say this as a non-white. They happen to be the subject of racism now more than ever when

A. Unlike the 1950s you would have to seriously go out of your way not to be exposed or have the opportunity to be exposed to other races/religions/cultures/etc

and

B. Also unlike the 1950s we have this crap on tape.

What leftist authoritarians don't understand is that we now have the ability to dissect these incidents on a case-by-case basis due to technology and information sharing. So when a white guy walks up to and kills a black guy and yells "die N" we label that as a racist killing. But when a black guy breaks down the door of a white homeowner wearing full burglar garb and gets his head blown off we don't label that as racist.

However, the media will still label both as racist. That's the biggest issue we face. It's why even though we have statistical proof and case history of racism within the CJ system whites (and any logical non-white) is not going to listen to/support the cause of groups/the media who point to cases that are clearly not racist incidents...over and over and over again.
When I said they yearn for the 1950s, that doesn't literally mean they want to abandon the modern technology. Even the young conservatives who just copy and paste what their dad tells them to think is about to give up their iPhone for a black and white TV that stops broadcasting at midnight. And certainly, I wasn't trying to say that there are only two options. I'm a millennial, who is on the left, that strongly opposes PC culture. And I do not want to take us "back" to anything. I'm well aware of the diversity that exists within the political world, more so than most I'd say. But, this is a trend I noticed that I felt was relevant in this discussion. Often, I see people criticizing PC for all the wrong reasons. My assessment is that they don't like what is now taboo and think what used to be taboo should go back to being taboo. That's certainly not the only argument against political correctness, it's just one that I see all the time.

As for racism, I still hold that white people generally struggle with it. There tolerance is lower because they aren't used to it. The culture is changing; white people are no longer on top. As I said, the counter reaction is excessive, but just because now you can be critical of a white person does not mean there is some kind of genocide of white culture. If I had my way, race would be irrelevant. It's an arbitrary means of dividing people. But I don't have it my way, and we're stuck talking about white racism, BLM, and other things that aren't really doing anything to improve the conditions of race relations.

Now, a point that I feel was more integral to my post and one you did not respond to was the inability to discuss and debate that occurs on both sides. It goes well beyond political correctness, race, or ideology. This general point is important to my other sub points, dealing with culture change (in regards to what is taboo and how it's treated), racism, and politics in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies