Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
you and others should just accept the criminality of this man like you would a similar black person who was arrested.
You should feel some degree of shame for writing that. (I would hope.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:57 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, stupid and ignorant people shouldn't receive Constitutional protections?

If you believe this, I guess you also believe that people who act stupid and ignorant when confronted by police also shouldn't receive Constitutional protections?
Are you illiterate? Where did you see the above in my post? I simply don't feel sorry for him.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
This is being compared to walking around Black face.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:03 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
An East Tennessee State University student was arrested Wednesday after going to a Black Lives Matter protest on campus wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas.

Tristan Rettke, an 18-year-old freshman, wore overalls and a gorilla mask and, wandering barefoot while holding a burlap sack with a Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf on it, offered bananas to students who were protesting, according to a report by ETSU police. He was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation.

According to campus police, after being read his rights Rettke told officers that a couple of days earlier he had seen on social media that there would be a Black Lives Matter event in the “free speech” area of Borchuck Plaza on the Johnson City, Tenn., campus. He said he went to a store Tuesday to buy rope to tie to a bunch of bananas. While there he also bought the mask and brought it all to the event on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the BLM protestors are burning US flags around the corner.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...atter-protest/

Student arrested after wearing gorilla mask to Black Lives Matter protest
"Charged with Civil Rights Itimidation"

You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others.....

I find a lot or ironic hypocrisy with many who support BLM and others who have decided THEY are "offended" by names, words, etc, and should be banned, etc., yet have NO problem trying to tell others that THEY cannot say or do things.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Red added by me. What he did fit the bill for "disorderly conduct."
Blocking a street, protesting at the library etc? Sure.

Not in a free speech or protest zone.

Which is why they charged him with the more obscure law that we are discussing.

Perhaps that's the piece you are missing even though we've repeated it....this went down at a designated protest area.

If you sit-in at a business and so forth you'll be charged with disorderly conduct. This is a standard protest procedure and part of non-violent civil disobedience.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is being compared to walking around Black face.
I wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
T.P.I. -- CRIM. 30.02

tennessee state law prohibits "intimidating others from exercising their civil rights."

i would be surprised if this was constitutional. the idea that you can criminalize actions that induce feelings in other people is highly questionable.

however i'd also be surprised if anyone had the balls to take it to the u.s. supreme court.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:21 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You should feel some degree of shame for writing that. (I would hope.)
Why would I feel ashamed? I am not speaking specifically of you but if you are one of those people have the belief that the many black people who are arrested for "disorderly conduct" deserve to be arrested and mistreated by LE because they are supposedly criminals, then you fall into the category that I was speaking of. Same can be said of the "resisting arrest" charge.

It has been proven that black people are much more likely to be charged with these sorts of "crimes" versus whites and if they are arrested and then subsequently are abused or killed by law enforcement, many people, and especially on this very forum, will use those arrests as "proof" of the supposed criminal nature of that person.

This young man, however, who fit the bill for committing "disorderly conduct" was instead arrested for a "Civil Rights Intimidation" charge, which you and others are not willing to peg him as criminally minded. He went there with the intent to intimidate and provoke and cause a scene. Luckily the young black students didn't fall for it or respond in any negative way like he thought they would (and like many people believe that all black people will do). The OP article actually had a quote from one of the black students who said that they wanted Tristan to stay and show how idiotic he was. The way they behaved is typical of the way black people respond to idiotic racial stereotyping and prejudice so I'm glad that they published the young man's quote; however, it should be noted that many of you are taking offense at this young man having been arrested when in other situations, black people being arrested for similar idiotic charges (disorderly conduct and resisting arrest) are overlooked or reasoned away by you and not seen as first amendment violations. Usually "disorderly conduct" or "resisting arrest" is used to arrest someone who asks a police officer a question.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:05 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
He just wanted to fit in.
How so?

Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Whites, conservatives and others lower on the hierarchy don't even have free speech rights recognized by the government anymore. It's not even debatable. That's the real civil rights violation. We have only speech acceptable to liberals, blacks etc.

BLM does act primitive, so this kid wasn't too off the mark to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies