Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is fine and sounds logical. So the State legislature needed to Amend the State Constitution, which his rulings where based upon.

The states constitutions are suppose to be less restrictive with more liberty than the US Constitution. It is not this judges duty to change the State Constitution from the bench, like so many liberal judges do. His hands are dutifully tied to the language of the State Constitution.
Please cite your source for this.

I am personally familiar with a state constitution that contains provisions that have since been ruled against by SCOTUS. No one suggests that the state must go through an amendment process in order for state judges to rule in accordance with the SCOTUS ruling. Everyone just ignores the offending provisions, because they're moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Please cite your source for this.

I am personally familiar with a state constitution that contains provisions that have since been ruled against by SCOTUS. No one suggests that the state must go through an amendment process in order for state judges to rule in accordance with the SCOTUS ruling. Everyone just ignores the offending provisions, because they're moot.

STATE Supreme Court Justice. He deals with State issues concerning the States Constitution.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
STATE Supreme Court Justice. He deals with State issues concerning the States Constitution.
That's not an answer to my question.

I know that's what you think, but I highly doubt that any Alabama judges or lawyers are calling you up to ask for your opinion, and then relying on your opinion as they deliver their decisions or make their cases.

I am asking for some legal authority or jurisprudence principle, of the kinds that a judge or a lawyer would cite in their cases.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's not an answer to my question.

I know that's what you think, but I highly doubt that any Alabama judges or lawyers are calling you up to ask for your opinion, and then relying on your opinion as they deliver their decisions or make their cases.

I am asking for some legal authority or jurisprudence principle, of the kinds that a judge or a lawyer would cite in their cases.

They and you, are demanding he legislate the state constitution, from the bench.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
They and you, are demanding he legislate the state constitution, from the bench.
In other words, you have no source.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:14 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
The state has to change it. Not a judge from the bench, who is bound by that very document, independent of the federal government.
No State government/Constitution is independent of the federal one.

You keep arguing that the judge would be legislating from the bench, when we are talking about a supreme court ruling.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:36 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
That is fine and sounds logical. So the State legislature needed to Amend the State Constitution, which his rulings where based upon.

The states constitutions are suppose to be less restrictive with more liberty than the US Constitution. It is not this judges duty to change the State Constitution from the bench, like so many liberal judges do. His hands are dutifully tied to the language of the State Constitution.
Less restrictive, how is ruling against same sex marriage amount to less restrictive. The judge doesn't have any more authority to rule on marriage than he does on whether blacks get to vote, this is where federal law takes precedence. Maybe you would rather have each judge in the states determine which federal law applies in their state.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:16 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

No one was discriminating against gays. They could get married the same way everyone else could.
Actually they could not get married in Alabama if this judge got his way.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:22 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:

I think you're very confused. A State judge is bound by the Federal Supreme Court ruling if it disagrees with the State constitution. He's obligated to follow Federal laws, before State laws. His hands are not tied by the State Constitution, because the Supreme Court ruling trumps the State constitution.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I think you're very confused. A State judge is bound by the Federal Supreme Court ruling if it disagrees with the State constitution. He's obligated to follow Federal laws, before State laws. His hands are not tied by the State Constitution, because the Supreme Court ruling trumps the State constitution.

He is bound by the STATEs Constitution. It is not his job or his authority to change it from the bench.

They are going after him, because the legislature and the people of Alabama refuse to change their state constitution. So they are demanding the judge do it from the bench, or he will be removed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies