Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Liberals trying to suppress free speech they don't agree with - again and more proof of political brain washing the left attempts in public school.

Even if it wasn't an assignment there's no way they should have called the police, suspended him and sent him for a psych evaluation over that video.
These people are not liberals. They are out of control authoritarians. The same thinking that brings us things like Stop and Frisk and the Patriot Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,471,158 times
He hadn't turned it in. He left the jump drive in a school computer and when they saw his ppt, they called the police.

New Jersey high school demands student undergo psychological evaluation for anti-gun control project | TheBlaze.com

Old 10-02-2016, 11:02 AM

20,225 posts, read 19,787,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
...... I wonder if the kid would be in trouble if he had produced a video that was anti gun?
Not in NJ.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He hadn't turned it in. He left the jump drive in a school computer and when they saw his ppt, they called the police.

New Jersey high school demands student undergo psychological evaluation for anti-gun control project | TheBlaze.com
The article you posted does not state this. You know for a fact that he did not turn it in or perhaps did he show it to someone else after the fact and forget it?

Old 10-02-2016, 01:06 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,327,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Something is missing from this story. The district official said they can't talk because of privacy laws, and the teacher doesn't remember giving the assignment. I'm not sure who to believe. Was the teacher told to say that by the administration to protect from lawsuits? Was the kid lying about the assignment?
I have said the same thing in another thread on the same topic

There is more to the story (and the contents of the flash drive), then the one sided view being presented by the kids mother.

The student himself states "..other students who did presentations for and against gun control......", so it was not as some have suggested that "liberals trying to suppress free speech they don't agree with".

(http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf...s_student.html)

Quote:
"I'm disappointed that this has become an issue," said the soft-spoken Harvey. "I'm not a violent person. I've never been in trouble in my life. I'm surprised my project is being considered such a horrible thing. Everyone I've spoken to feels the same way. They see my point entirely. I cleared the topic with the teacher.

"There were other students who did presentations for and against gun control. To my knowledge, none of them got suspended or got kicked out of school."

Last edited by plannine; 10-02-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 02:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,318,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
All I can say is wow! What are your thoughts on this? There is a link to the video in the article.

Anti-gun-control video project gets H.S. student suspended | NJ.com

Here is the problem:

He then dropped out and then the next day he said a county child services worker visited his home sent there by the school.

Many states allocate K-12 school aid to local school districts based on an actual attendance head count of students taken early in the school year. (In Michigan, this is now taken the first Wednesday in October.)

So my educated guess is that he dropped out BEFORE the state head count, costing the school district a respectable chunk of cash. The county child services worker was sent to his home in retaliation for the financial loss incurred by the school when he dropped out prior to Count Day.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:47 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,327,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Here is the problem:

He then dropped out and then the next day he said a county child services worker visited his home sent there by the school.

Many states allocate K-12 school aid to local school districts based on an actual attendance head count of students taken early in the school year. (In Michigan, this is now taken the first Wednesday in October.)

So my educated guess is that he dropped out BEFORE the state head count, costing the school district a respectable chunk of cash. The county child services worker was sent to his home in retaliation for the financial loss incurred by the school when he dropped out prior to Count Day.
Or was the child services going there because of a existing complaint unrelated to the school issue?
State run (county) child service agencies rarely work that fast.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,471,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The article you posted does not state this. You know for a fact that he did not turn it in or perhaps did he show it to someone else after the fact and forget it?

It doesn't?

Quote:
According to student Frank Harvey, the project was assigned to him by his teacher and the topic was approved last year, but when he left his flash drive in the school’s computer lab this week, someone discovered a PowerPoint presentation for the assignment, which was for a college career readiness course, and reported him.

When administration was made aware of the presentation, they reached out to the police, who showed up at Harvey’s doorstep and questioned him the same night, NJ.com reported.

Rather than come to his defense, the teacher who allegedly assigned the project claimed she did not recall ever giving him the project.

Where does he say he turned it in?

Old 10-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It doesn't?

Where does he say he turned it in?
The same place where it says he didn't. In the article posted he says he got an A.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Something is missing from this story. The district official said they can't talk because of privacy laws, and the teacher doesn't remember giving the assignment. I'm not sure who to believe. Was the teacher told to say that by the administration to protect from lawsuits? Was the kid lying about the assignment?

Surely, you jest.

And surely, you didn't see the video. That's the point. Whether it was an assignment isn't even germane. Allow me: it's barely one minute and 40 seconds long, cites a couple if cases in which armed homeowners defended themselves against criminals with guns and (get the fainting couch) also includes a couple of published pro Second Amendment cartoons.

For THAT this kid gets suspended with a requirement that he undergo a psychiatric evaluation? And you don't see a problem with that?

Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies