Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 05:01 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

If you can't prove you live there, you are trespassing. If your mother doesn't trust you enough to give you the keys, you don't belong there. Whether there is a dog in the garage is none of our business. If I were the cops, I would have told him he has 5 minutes to prove he lives there or 5 minutes to start heading away from the area. After that, it would be an arrest for trespassing.

...and by the way, put the shovel away next time instead of leaving it out so you can break in while your mom's away.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If you can't prove you live there, you are trespassing. If your mother doesn't trust you enough to give you the keys, you don't belong there. Whether there is a dog in the garage is none of our business. If I were the cops, I would have told him he has 5 minutes to prove he lives there or 5 minutes to start heading away from the area. After that, it would be an arrest for trespassing.

...and by the way, put the shovel away next time instead of leaving it out so you can break in while your mom's away.

Someone needs to look up the word 'trespass'.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Well, it's not racial profiling. Police just get called to these bad neighborhoods looking for the perp so they arrest anyone who looks suspicious.
Why would sporting "prison tattoos" arouse any suspicions?

Old 10-02-2016, 05:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
If you can't prove you live there, you are trespassing.

If your mother doesn't trust you enough to give you the keys, you don't belong there. Whether there is a dog in the garage is none of our business. If I were the cops, I would have told him he has 5 minutes to prove he lives there or 5 minutes to start heading away from the area. After that, it would be an arrest for trespassing.

This isn't Nazi Germany. No one should ever be forced to show their id when no crime has been committed.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:44 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
When Colin Kaepernick takes a knee, this is what he's doing it for.

Video Shows Carolina Cop Violently Arrest Black Man For Sitting On His Porch | Huffington Post
blame all cops for the action of one, then complain when all blacks are characterized by the action of one black. same, same but different

net sum zero gain

Individual beahvior is a lost concept, with a gang mentality everyone has to belong to some gang as no individual can possibly be responsible for themselves

Old 10-02-2016, 06:29 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
If you can't prove you live there, you are trespassing.
No you aren't. If you walk out and leave your wallet and keys on the table and you are waiting for someone to come home to allow you in to get them, are you trespassing? No you aren't.

Quote:
If your mother doesn't trust you enough to give you the keys, you don't belong there.
I don't have keys to my parents house. If I go there to meet them and they have no arrived yet, I sit on the porch.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wrong on both accounts.
The only one wrong here is you.

Quote:
Based on what was said in the video, these cops did not just happen to be driving by and stopped to demand the guys "papers" [I know you are referencing the Nazi's with your comment].
That's not what I said. Once you have to lie about what the other person said you've lost.

Quote:
Instead they were called to the house based on someone in the neighborhood reporting suspicious activity.
I don't know about you, but if I witness someone in my neighbors yard trying to use a shovel to lift the closed garage door open(by the suspects own admission), I'd call the police as well. I'd assume you would want the same from your neighbors if someone were doing that to your home. Am I wrong in that assumption?
When the police come up to an individual who has not committed a crime, that person does not need to show their ID.

Quote:
So this was not some speed trap in a small town to generate revenue, nor was this guy just walking down the street and the cops stopping him, demanding to see his papers.
Again sitting on a porch is not a crime. I'll go you one better, sitting on your mothers porch, who you visit almost every day, is not a crime.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not absurd at all. You're saying people should refuse to hand over documents and not answer questions when stopped by the police. Others have said you must always cooperate. Which is it? That's all I'm asking.
okay but based on my post, I already answered it.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:26 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
The cop has tats too.

Jus' sayin'.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you live, nor the black people you know but my experience is different. The black people I would call my friends, and even casual acquaintances have never complained to me about bad encounters with police.
I don't believe you. A few of my friends have and so have I. So either you only know 2 black people or they don't bother talking to a brick wall.

Quote:
Then again, many are professionals who would likely act differently than the guy in this video.
The victims actions were no cause for the dirty cop to act the way he did.

Quote:
Granted his behavior was not over the top nor rude. Still he was non compliant in several instances, and despite this, the cops were cordial to him as well. It all went sideways when the guy called his friend asking for him to come over. Had he continued to sit on the porch and wait for the cops to clear him, most likely none of the escalation would have occurred.
It went sideways when the dirty cop lost his cool over a nothing event. Using the phone is not a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies