Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:32 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,348,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Uh, you stick to your principles (mine are set with the non-aggression principle).

You do realize that sometimes in life you get your a$$ kicked...metaphorically?

What are your principles? How would you go about this?
I've discussed the actions of the police endlessly here. So if they continue to beat innocent citizens you just accept it? We aren't discussing metaphoric beatings.

If I had my way this officer would be facing prison time. That's the only real way we will address this. When everyone is treated the same, then we all win.

If I walk up to you on your porch and start attacking you, I'm facing jail time.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,426,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've discussed the actions of the police endlessly here. So if they continue to beat innocent citizens you just accept it? We aren't discussing metaphoric beatings.

If I had my way this officer would be facing prison time. That's the only real way we will address this. When everyone is treated the same, then we all win.

If I walk up to you on your porch and start attacking you, I'm facing jail time.
We have to determine what cases meet the criteria we are talking about.

1. The cops have to be in the wrong.
2. They have to "get away with it".

This case is one. No doubt.

But where we would probably disagree is the number and severity of the cases that meet the criteria.

Is it a problem? Sure.

A "big" problem? Not really.

It's merely a byproduct of statism. I understand it's in your face but on a daily basis you are being wronged by your local zoning commission, the IRS, and the health department to name a few tentacles of the State.

If it's a big enough problem for you then maybe you should come up with some solutions.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:07 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,255,286 times
http://myfox8.com/2016/09/26/watch-g...-camera-video/

Quote:
After releasing the video, city council members voted 8-0 in favor of a resolution calling for the permanent suspension of former Greensboro officer Travis Cole's law enforcement certification
GOOD!

Quote:
Cole had resigned from the Greensboro Police Department in August in light of the investigation. Because he resigned, charges against him were dropped. But he would still be able to work in law enforcement elsewhere.
Wait, wtf?!

Gee I wonder why North Carolina is passing laws to stop body camera footage from being released to the public

Old 10-01-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We have to determine what cases meet the criteria we are talking about.

1. The cops have to be in the wrong.
2. They have to "get away with it".

This case is one. No doubt.

But where we would probably disagree is the number and severity of the cases that meet the criteria.

Is it a problem? Sure.

A "big" problem? Not really.
Yes we would disagree. Is the percentage of interactions that go bad low? Yes, but anytime someone has their civil rights violated by the state it's a big problem.

Quote:
It's merely a byproduct of statism. I understand it's in your face but on a daily basis you are being wronged by your local zoning commission, the IRS, and the health department to name a few tentacles of the State.

If it's a big enough problem for you then maybe you should come up with some solutions.
I did.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Watch: Greensboro leaders release

GOOD!

Wait, wtf?!

Gee I wonder why North Carolina is passing laws to stop body camera footage from being released to the public
The cameras are bought by the taxpayers. The police officers salaries are paid by the taxpayers. IMO the taxpayers own the video and without question should have access to it.

This is a law that will either quickly be overturned or cause increased protests and violence.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,193,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I could see charging the one officer with simple assault or disorderly conduct. What would you charge the other officer with? Either one is a class 2 misdemeanor in North Carolina, mandating no jail time on the first offense, but you could get him with a fine of up to $1000 (though it would be less than that since he currently does not have a job). Either one is eligible for expungement after 2 years, so no criminal record at that point. Neither would be disqualifying from him getting a job as a police officer elsewhere.

Simple assault is harder to convict, but disorderly conduct often means charging both parties involved. Maybe it would make the community happier to see the officer charged with something, but it would be a lot for extracting an extra $1,000; with the added risk of him beating the indictment. Disorderly conduct does not necessarily mean charging the person he attacked, but it is a law designed for charging all people involved.

So, you're the DA. What do you do in that situation? Either option looks pretty much like a pyrrhic victory with the additional risk of failing to get a conviction.
The second cop lied on her report.

I do not know about this jurisdiction, but filing a false police report is a crime (misdemeanor to felony) in many places.

Als0...

Quiting so you can then go work in another district is not the answer to these problems. This is like the Catholic church reassigning abusive priests and then letting them get away with it again.

IMO, if these officers are hired again elsewhere and then caught abusing a citizen again, the charges should come against both the cop and the administrators who hired them... because they had knowledge and warning of their abusive behavior. A good lawyer should at least be able to sue the city/town based on their ignoring the warnings.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-01-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 03:32 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,255,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The cameras are bought by the taxpayers. The police officers salaries are paid by the taxpayers. IMO the taxpayers own the video and without question should have access to it.

This is a law that will either quickly be overturned or cause increased protests and violence.
I agree, 110%. The law went into effect today, October 1.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,149,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You were out numbered. It wasn't one guy to confront.
I was there and that's not why most soldiers didn't indiscriminately beat people that we thought disrespected us. The military, all branches, are way more disciple than most police forces...

Old 10-01-2016, 04:02 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,595,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The second cop lied on her report.

I do not know about this jurisdiction, but filing a false police report is a crime (misdemeanor to felony) in many places.

Als0...

Quiting so you can then go work in another district is not the answer to these problems. This is like the Catholic church reassigning abusive priests and then letting them get away with it again.

IMO, if these officers are hired again elsewhere and then caught abusing a citizen again, the charges should come against both the cop and the administrators who hired them... because they had knowledge and warning of their abusive behavior. A good lawyer should at least be able to sue the city/town based on their ignoring the warnings.
I can't imagine what police department would want to hire someone like that ex-cop. That's simply a liability. Not to mention you just don't want a person who can't control themselves on the police force.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:08 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,193,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I can't imagine what police department would want to hire someone like that ex-cop. That's simply a liability. Not to mention you just don't want a person who can't control themselves on the police force.
I wish it was rare that a bad cop was removed permanently, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Departments that allow them to just quit without being charged are IMO complicit with the next criminal act of that cop and should pay a penalty. But it seems they'd rather make sure one of their own can get a new job - rather than protect the citizens.

Bad Cops Recycled From One Department to Another | TruthVoice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies