Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Is the education system wrong or are we unwilling to admit that science shows IQ is in a bell curve? Not everyone can be Einstein, no matter what education programs or pre school you have. Students with low IQs usually have parents with low IQs as well.
This. If someone flunks out it's automatically the schools fault, rather then the student was not capable of doing the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
it is the type of learning- that the problem --the more creative the more kids grasp- I notice this generation is constantly INVENTING_ creating- expressing-- you lock them down with the basics - they are BORED to death- with the basic same history and math that they will NEVER use!-- they need to invent classes that invigorate the students in their talents...and please bring back SHOP! and expand it!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:11 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Because the super rich who own America dont want a well educated population who is difficult to control and manipulate.

Always vote for candidates who want to make higher education as accessible as possible. These are the candidates who are not in the pockets of the donor class.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This. If someone flunks out it's automatically the schools fault, rather then the student was not capable of doing the work.
Easy to blame schools instead of what's going on ( or not) inside the home.

You could flip all the students between the best and worst performing schools. Performance of the former best performing school would plummet while the performance of the former worst performing school would soar.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:31 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
It's not just the schools or the parents. It's both.

This education system is modeled after the Prussian system - the creators of the Prussian system specifically stated that the goal was to create good order followers, factory workers, miltary, etc... They did not want to teach very much critical thinking. This is the perfect system if you take the mindset of someone in power. Their job is easiest when people do what they want.

Parenting is also an issue, and I think a lot of it comes down to splitting up families and creating a downward spiral. As they say, the foundation of society is the family, so the more unstable it is, the more unstable society will be.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:34 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Because the super rich who own America dont want a well educated population who is difficult to control and manipulate.

Always vote for candidates who want to make higher education as accessible as possible. These are the candidates who are not in the pockets of the donor class.
What could the super rich accomplish without willing politicians? Remove the govt and you remove the ability to influence.
All schools should be private and funded voluntarily.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 10-02-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Easy to blame schools instead of what's going on ( or not) inside the home.

You could flip all the students between the best and worst performing schools. Performance of the former best performing school would plummet while the performance of the former worst performing school would soar.
And it's easy to blame the home instead of what's going on (or not) between the students' ears.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't know about you guys, but watching this election and other political stuff going on is killing my brain cells.

We all know that we benefit from an educated society, I think watching what we call idiots make political decisions impacts us more than we realize. And decisions outside of politics, like driving drunk or not taking care of their house (therefore hurting your house's value).

Now I am not going to say anyone who disagrees with me politically is a moron, people can be coherent and literate individuals while disagreeing with me... And while I do believe most fault lies with the parents who probably are not spending time with their young kids teaching them and helping their minds grow, we can work on improving the public school system. This should not be a politically-charged issue, our kids' futures, should not be so politically-charged but it is for some reason. Given that most people cannot afford fancy-pansy private school, we should be working on the public school system since their vote (those being failed by the public school system) will be worth just as much as yours.

Usually it is Republicans who don't want to do anything about the education system. I don't know why because it is all of our kids, it affects all of us, as these kids can grow up to commit crime, become a politician, become a CEO, they are America's future. Who does not want to see a better future for America? I see a lot of schools, and teachers too even, fall well below their value and become poor, run-down, tired and cannot support OUR future because no one seems to want to pitch in for an educated society which WE ALL benefit from.

Highly-educated people are more likely to make better health decisions, better economical decisions, usually have less kids (we are overpopulated), etc. We should be encouraging and favoring education, not the opposite which is creating the monstrosity of a country we are starting to see.

Don't you guys agree, that America can have a better educational system? But it would take funding and hard-work for a great educational reform, but no one wants to put in the work to improve America. Americans seem to only care about getting their piece of the cake, without thinking about if their kids will ever get a piece of the cake either.
"We all know that we benefit from an educated society,"

It depends on what you mean by "educated'

I know a lot of VERY educated people that don't have one lick of common sense.

"Now I am not going to say anyone who disagrees with me politically is a moron, people can be coherent and literate individuals while disagreeing with me... "

Really?

You then post "Usually it is Republicans who don't want to do anything about the education system." which is B.S.in itself.

IMO, education is a STATE issue and the fed should stay out of it.

All they do is blackmail the states.

The give money then demand that things are done their way or the money is withheld.

If you want BETTER education, the first thing to do is get rid of the teacher's unions.

We have seen over an over threads opened on here where teachers and other school admin people do ridiculous things like suspending a girl for having Midol at school, kids suspended for pointing a finger and saying "it looks like a gun, a dessert after bitten looks like agun, etc. etc., etc and NOTHING is done to them BECAUSE of the union control over school administrations and these people CANNOT be fired.

Why do think most teachers are liberal dems?

The do the biggest unions in the country donate to dem politicians.

Wy do you think that is/

Then you want to blame the rpubs.

Why don't you want them to take responsibility for THEIR actions?

You call out repubs yet it was Obama who CANCELLED the voucher program in Wash, D.C.

I thought you were FOR better education.

Why are the dems so against charter schools and vouchers?

"Highly-educated people are more likely to make better health decisions, better economical decisions,"

What a laugh!

"But it would take funding"

Let me guess, you are a registered dem and probably in the education system.

You and your kind ALWAYS say, "just give us MORE money"

How much is enough?

"The President's budget request for FY 2017 includes $69.4 billion in discretionary funding, an increase of $1.3 billion over the 2016 appropriation."

U.S. Department of Education Budget Office

What have we gotten for the BILLIONS the fed HAS spent on education over these decades?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Charter schools don't eliminate govt control or political influence from the education system.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:04 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't know about you guys, but watching this election and other political stuff going on is killing my brain cells.

We all know that we benefit from an educated society, I think watching what we call idiots make political decisions impacts us more than we realize. And decisions outside of politics, like driving drunk or not taking care of their house (therefore hurting your house's value).

Now I am not going to say anyone who disagrees with me politically is a moron, people can be coherent and literate individuals while disagreeing with me... And while I do believe most fault lies with the parents who probably are not spending time with their young kids teaching them and helping their minds grow, we can work on improving the public school system. This should not be a politically-charged issue, our kids' futures, should not be so politically-charged but it is for some reason. Given that most people cannot afford fancy-pansy private school, we should be working on the public school system since their vote (those being failed by the public school system) will be worth just as much as yours.

Usually it is Republicans who don't want to do anything about the education system. I don't know why because it is all of our kids, it affects all of us, as these kids can grow up to commit crime, become a politician, become a CEO, they are America's future. Who does not want to see a better future for America? I see a lot of schools, and teachers too even, fall well below their value and become poor, run-down, tired and cannot support OUR future because no one seems to want to pitch in for an educated society which WE ALL benefit from.

Highly-educated people are more likely to make better health decisions, better economical decisions, usually have less kids (we are overpopulated), etc. We should be encouraging and favoring education, not the opposite which is creating the monstrosity of a country we are starting to see.

Don't you guys agree, that America can have a better educational system? But it would take funding and hard-work for a great educational reform, but no one wants to put in the work to improve America. Americans seem to only care about getting their piece of the cake, without thinking about if their kids will ever get a piece of the cake either.
Because Trump supporters think education is "librul brainwashing". They don't understand the correlation between higher education and middle/upper class lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies