Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:06 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What could the super rich accomplish without willing politicians? Remove the govt and you remove the ability to influence.
All schools should be private and funded voluntarily.
Yes, just like in the medieval times and just like third world hellholes. Brilliant idea! Remove government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 01:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
It's interesting the most Liberals want free college like Europe but don't understand the most people in Europe don't qualify to go to college and instead are pushed into trades that match their mental and physical ability. The later is the biggest thing we need to emulate. "Everyone going to college" sounds great but the result is that many people are pushed socially to go to college who have little chance of graduating, instead they rack up a load of debt before dropping out of school. As a society we need to stop shaming people like janitors, garbage truck drivers, fast food workers, etc. If someone with a low a IQ is the best janitor they can be we should celebrate them. The people who should feel shame are those who refuse to pay for their own actions.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:36 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes, just like in the medieval times and just like third world hellholes. Brilliant idea! Remove government!
Not sure what you're referring to here... both of those I'd use as examples of people using political power to screw over regular people.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 PM

524 posts, read 400,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I thin the OP is confusing smart with educated.

Being educated doesn't mean you're smart because we all know a number of very well educated people who made dumb, dumb decisions.

Not having a formal education doesn't mean stupid or even uneducated.

I've written about him before but one of the men I admire most I met back in the 1970's working as a flight instructor for a man who always wanted to learn to fly. He was born in West Virginia and when is father died in a coal mine accident he quit school in 7th grade to support his family.

He ended up in construction doing a lot of work building the Interstate highway system and if you've driven in West Virginia, Ohio or Kentucky chances are near 100% you traveled on an Interstate highway his company built. I know he got involved with real estate around Orlando just before Disney World was built.

His accomplishments were many and if you thought he was stupid, because all he had was a 7th grade education, you were making the mistake of a lifetime. He'd go to a business meeting wearing overalls and a baseball cap because he could and most likely he had more money than everyone else at the table combined.
I love that point! Often times people will equate education with intelligence, which is not the case. All education means today, for the most part and with the exception of a few fields of study, is the ability to regurgitate information taught to you by academia. Education used to be challenging ideas, deconstructing views and questioning narratives for the sake of a health and diverse discussion. Unfortunately, that is frowned up these days and one runs the risk of being accused of being a ***ist if they dare to challenge the status quo. I am a conservative classical liberal leaning clinical social work student. Regularly, I am bombarded by identity politics when others want to marxist inspired ideals and theories. I find it is better to take a stand point from a principled perspective vs. addressing identity politics, otherwise, I would be labeled an -ist from my colleagues.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:10 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The United States spends more per student than most other countries. It's not the educational system that is broken. The issue is the fact that the demographics of the country are changing and the students are getting less capable. If we change the population of the United States to be more like Brazil, then we can expect that our students will perform more like the students of Brazil.
I think some of the adults posting in this forum demonstrate its been an issue for some time.

I love what Finland has done. It's not about throwing money at it, to make it better

Ninety-three percent of Finns graduate from academic or vocational high schools, 17.5 percentage points higher than the United States, and 66 percent go on to higher education, the highest rate in the European Union. Yet Finland spends about 30 percent less per student than the United States.

Now, do other nations have the same ability to action education reform?
Why are Finland's schools successful?| Smithsonian

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 10-02-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 04:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't necessarily think we have an education system problem. We have a parents problem. Want to help educate the kids? Educate the parents FIRST and make them actually CARE about their kids' education. Make them get INVOLVED in their kids' education.
Educating parents huh? And how do you suppose we do that?

Get them before they become parents by improving the education system?

Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 PM

524 posts, read 400,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Educating parents huh? And how do you suppose we do that?

Get them before they become parents by improving the education system?
I am pretty sure he was referring to a lack of including the importance of an education in their given value system. If the parents do not care about an education, they won't prepare the children for school. Once in school, they are likely to not put their time in to help with homework and overall assist with the successful gains children make in school. Parents of this nature can be generally non-compliant to educators requests, and then when their children fail they blame the system they refused to participate in from the beginning.

A lot of these problems we have in America and around the world start at home.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
I am pretty sure he was referring to a lack of including the importance of an education in their given value system. If the parents do not care about an education, they won't prepare the children for school. Once in school, they are likely to not put their time in to help with homework and overall assist with the successful gains children make in school. Parents of this nature can be generally non-compliant to educators requests, and then when their children fail they blame the system they refused to participate in from the beginning.

A lot of these problems we have in America and around the world start at home.
And why do you think people don't care about the education system? Do you think it's because they suffered in school (bullying) and don't want any part of it anymore? Or do you think it's because they're did so poorly that their confidence went down and thought the system was against them? There's a reason why the parents don't care.

It calls for an education reform either way. The question is, why does no one want education reform? Education hands-down creates a "trickle down" system which improves their economic situation, their health, there have been a ton of studies on this. The only "trickle down" system that works!

Old 10-02-2016, 04:49 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Most school districts in the country get about 10% of their funding from the federal government. They could opt out of federal programs and give up that money anytime they wish.

People who blame public education decline on teacher's unions are being lazy. My state does nor have unions. they do have organizations. They are mostly for insurance purposes.

Teachers do not run the teacher colleges, nor write the books. They do not decide what to teach or how to teach it.

The powers that be saw the kids in the streets shouting hell no, we won't go during Viet nam and decided to stop teaching government and civics.

We decided years ago that the third generation off the farm had to call an electrician to change a light bulb.

TO show my bias, IMO if a couple decides to have children, it is a mistake to put the kids In daycare and rely on schools to teach the kid. One parent or a grandparent needs to be taking care of the kids. Why have kids if you are going to turn them over to an undertrained person to care for?

There is a lot to learn that a public school teacher cannot teach. They no longer have training or time.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:50 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Our education system is based heavily on indoctrination, not education. Also, what more do you want the government to do? Throwing money at education does not improve outcomes. BTW: the US is not overpopulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies