Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

This is not unusual. Most government regulations keep poor people poor. This time is housing. But the poor have no voice in government, no power. So it's easy for Big Government to regulate them into poverty.

------------

US Government Declaring All Out War on Tiny House Living - Counter Current News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:32 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I disagree with the they house issues let them build - who is acting stupid this time in congress? but the article mentions April 2016... so????

Old 10-02-2016, 07:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
"On net balance, today's housing policies, like those of the past, end up reducing the housing options of low-income people (see the detailed discussion below)."

(snip)

"Economic analysis thus leads to the conclusion that (1) the poor end up on a lower indifference curve, with better housing and less non-housing goods, while (2) the middle class end up on a higher indifference curve, with at least more non-housing goods and perhaps more housing as well, depending upon the particular nature of income and substitution effects. While there has been no direct money transfer between the poor and the middle class in this example, movements from one indifference curve to another are changes in real income. There has been an increase in the real income of the middle class caused by a reduction in the real income of the poor. The economic effect is the same as if there had been a direct transfer. Social justifications of transfers from lower income groups to higher income groups are difficult, and no such justification will be attempted here."

- Thomas Sowell, Markets and Minorities (1981), Chapter Four

Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is not unusual. Most government regulations keep poor people poor. This time is housing. But the poor have no voice in government, no power. So it's easy for Big Government to regulate them into poverty.

------------

Does HUD really want to make tiny houses illegal, or is the movement just entering a new phase? |Tent City Urbanism
Quote:
"The new proposal would dictate that a tiny house, if built to ANSI or NFPA standards, is an RV and thus not suitable for permanent occupancy. The reality is that it is already illegal to live permanently in an RV in most places anyway. That is something that local zoning ordinances specifically dictate. So the problem here is the idea of certifying your tiny house as an RV rather than seeking permanent residential status through the building codes division."

https://tinyhousebuild.com/tiny-hous...-hud-proposal/

Quote:
No matter what HUD decides, or the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) for that matter, as tiny housers should not be concerned because our goal is to live in our tiny houses permanently, not to certify them as RVs. After all, that’s specifically what HUD’s recent proposal aims to clarify.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

------------

Why do so many think everything is a "war"?

" But the poor have no voice in government, no power."

Duh!

The EACH get 1 vote just like you.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:00 AM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why do so many think everything is a "war"?

" But the poor have no voice in government, no power."

Duh!

The EACH get 1 vote just like you.
"Your voting residence is within your State of legal residence or domicile. It is the true, fixed address that you consider your permanent home and where you had a physical presence. Your State of legal residence is used for State income tax purposes, and determines eligibility to vote for federal and State elections and qualification for in-state tuition rates."
https://www.fvap.gov/info/laws/votin...ncy-guidelines

I'm still having trouble understanding how a homeless person votes without legal residence.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:09 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
It seems like the root of the problem is that RVs aren't legally able to remain permanently in one place. I think that's unfortunate, because it's a nonsensical government regulation that only helps keep home ownership out of reach for the poor (and middle class in many cases).

Old 10-02-2016, 10:24 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It seems like the root of the problem is that RVs aren't legally able to remain permanently in one place. I think that's unfortunate, because it's a nonsensical government regulation that only helps keep home ownership out of reach for the poor (and middle class in many cases).
If you live in a neighborhood with $300,000 and up homes, would you or your neighbors want someone with a RV or camper setting up permanent residence next door?

But, in many low income areas, tiny homes are being build. Just with permanent foundations, rather then on wheels. (And the wheels is the issue, not the houses)

Tiny homes being built for 25 low income Detroit families - WXYZ.com

Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If you live in a neighborhood with $300,000 and up homes, would you or your neighbors want someone with a RV or camper setting up permanent residence next door?

But, in many low income areas, tiny homes are being build. Just with permanent foundations, rather then on wheels. (And the wheels is the issue, not the houses)

Tiny homes being built for 25 low income Detroit families - WXYZ.com
Why would I care how fancy my neighbors' homes are? I don't know what kind of snobby elitist would have a problem with that.

As long as they're decent and considerate neighbors, I couldn't care less.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:09 AM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yes, this is a problem. IMO, this is what happens when you let the government into the free market and Real Estate is a large portion, but I'm getting off topic.
Quote:
How is this any different than a neighborhood with $30,000,000 homes having a $300,000 home in it. This is a continual problem for every sector because of free market. They probably don't have these issues in communist contries. Plus many zoning rules usually don't let you do this. I, hate to be evil, actually like some zoning laws.
Quote:
I have looked into this as I was seriously wanting this.
1. This is very common with Mobile homes as the manufacturing is very government regulated. People do rebuild mobile homes but it is important to have the manufacture's plate.
2. With something legal like mobile homes, it is still required by code to have a electrician and a plumber attach your waste line and power to your power box, $. It is also code to remove your hitch, making as so it's immovable.
3. Many Tiny houses aren't built to code, as many individuals make them. Many claim they shouldn't be categorized with RV's either as many are built to be 'unstable for travel' or are too heavy for their frames.
4. We next have to look at the fact that many aren't properly connected to sewer. Either to city sewage or a leach field. Which begs the question of where are they going to dump there waste if not regulated.

The whole reason I wanted a tiny house is I wanted a cheap, small, personally designed home. With the rules out there it would have to be in a trailer or RV park type set up. From what I experience, the best way to get this movement going is to have a 'up scale trailer park' that people could buy or rent lots only for tiny houses. Second, would be the federal government helping, and allowing people, doing their own home construction. I really don't think they would go for this, but IMO, in the long run, it would be much safer than what we have now.

P.S. Once you take the wheels of and 'concrete it', it then is taxes as a house, BIG $ JUMP. Then the local government seems to be all smiles. Wonder why?

Tiny homes being built for 25 low income Detroit families - WXYZ.com[/quote]

As for Detroit, if I understand it correctly, their real estate market is so bad I wouldn't be surprised if they start taxing tents in the next coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies