Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times

Advertisements

For those interested in engaging in thoughtful conversation rather than partisan insults, this is an interesting and challenging piece to use as a starting point.

Takes about 25 minutes to watch:

TED | Talks | Thomas Barnett: The Pentagon's new map for war and peace (video)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Understand his main point, but disagree with it being a DoD responsibility. His portrayal of DoD is a little inaccurate.

A core problem is the coordination between the Military Services, the Army, Navy (Marines) and Air Force are all directly funded by Congress, and lobby for programs. It is a major reason for poor post war coordination, everyone strives for their piece, but the overall responsibility is difficult to execute, and less "top down" in decisionmaking then portrayed here. Though the SecDef is responsible for coordinating through the Unified Commands, but reconstruction (or post successful war) isn't part of the equation, especially for funding.

State Department should be coordinating efforts with stakeholders, primarily the European Union and African Union, concerning military efforts and the post war funding and reconstruction.

EU is executing their responsibilities in Kosovo, but the AU lacks the authority and autonomy to adequately execute. Planning for peace isn't just our responsibility, though it should be coordinated to extent possible (war typically has a short lead time):

www.africa-union.org

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Understand his main point, but disagree with it being a DoD responsibility. His portrayal of DoD is a little inaccurate.

A core problem is the coordination between the Military Services, the Army, Navy (Marines) and Air Force are all directly funded by Congress, and lobby for programs. It is a major reason for poor post war coordination, everyone strives for their piece, but the overall responsibility is difficult to execute, and less "top down" in decisionmaking then portrayed here. Though the SecDef is responsible for coordinating through the Unified Commands, but reconstruction (or post successful war) isn't part of the equation, especially for funding.

State Department should be coordinating efforts with stakeholders, primarily the European Union and African Union, concerning military efforts and the post war funding and reconstruction.

EU is executing their responsibilities in Kosovo, but the AU lacks the authority and autonomy to adequately execute. Planning for peace isn't just our responsibility, though it should be coordinated to extent possible (war typically has a short lead time):

www.africa-union.org
Good thoughts. Perhaps a new administration could be persuaded to deal with the situation more comprehensively.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
For those interested in engaging in thoughtful conversation rather than partisan insults, this is an interesting and challenging piece to use as a starting point.

Takes about 25 minutes to watch:

TED | Talks | Thomas Barnett: The Pentagon's new map for war and peace (video)
This person sounds like another irrelevant yes man, albeit with some nice puns. Kind of like a Jerry Seinfeld. He is to America what caffeine is to 7-Up.

We used to play lots of corporate bs bingo with some of the buzzwords he presented. I won many a beer as a result of the "shifted paradigm", "think outside the box" talking heads in the conference room.

I needed a good laugh on this dreary day, thanks.

Kick A. We're gonna kick A. I'm gonna kick their A for $20M

Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
This person sounds like another irrelevant yes man, albeit with some nice puns. Kind of like a Jerry Seinfeld. He is to America what caffeine is to 7-Up.

We used to play lots of corporate bs bingo with some of the buzzwords he presented. I won many a beer as a result of the "shifted paradigm", "think outside the box" talking heads in the conference room.

I needed a good laugh on this dreary day, thanks.

Kick A. We're gonna kick A. I'm gonna kick their A for $20M
Whatever. Watch the whole thing and get back to us. Maybe we can do lunch sometme. Have your people text my people. At the end of the day, comprehension is key.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Whatever. Watch the whole thing and get back to us. Maybe we can do lunch sometme. Have your people text my people. At the end of the day, comprehension is key.
I watched the whole thing before I replied. He was humorous yet irrelevant, thus the Jerry Seinfeld analogy.

I comprehended enough to earn my lot in life. This presentation was trivial and pedantic. Just another empty suit.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I watched the whole thing before I replied. He was humorous yet irrelevant, thus the Jerry Seinfeld analogy.

I comprehended enough to earn my lot in life. This presentation was trivial and pedantic. Just another empty suit.
I had hoped you might engage the ideas rather than simply issue a flippant dismissal based on presentational style.

Or do you think there is no issue here aside from degree of pedantry?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I had hoped you might engage the ideas rather than simply issue a flippant dismissal based on presentational style.

Or do you think there is no issue here aside from degree of pedantry?
Well, considering the unprofessional nature of the talk through profanity and the lack of concrete material, I had to go on something.

However, one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
IMHO
war and debt creation, the primary job of DOD, is adept at turning great big world
powers into little bitty world powers. billions for superweapons which are easily
stalmated to a standstill by primative people with speedboats, IED's and soviet surplus small arms.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Well, considering the unprofessional nature of the talk through profanity and the lack of concrete material, I had to go on something.

However, one man's garbage is another man's treasure.
Assuming that the former is a man and not the petulant boy he so resembles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies