Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times

Advertisements

You don't live here anymore, chielgirl, and obviously you think where you are is better. May I humbly suggest than rather than bash this country, you give up your citizenship?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Please explain to me how I'm bashing the country. I keep hearing how the US is so special with freedoms that no one else has. I want to know what those freedoms are, because I sure don't see them.

The US is just another country, where we give away our rights in the name of safety.

Snake, you're saying it's okay to give up basic rights, such as right of assembly because "it's not as bad as" other countries.
That's not high praise for the freedoms you say exist.

So, really, what are the special freedoms that only Americans possess? After all, that is the OP.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:45 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Snake, you're saying it's okay to give up basic rights, such as right of assembly because "it's not as bad as" other countries.
That's not high praise for the freedoms you say exist.
What basic rights have I given up? I'm not losing any sleep over my inability to protest (or act like an idiot to some) within 1 mile of the President. I also cant help but notice rallies, protests, etc on the news pretty regularly. So apparently some people didn't get the memo stating their right to assemble has been "taken" from them.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
So, really, what are the special freedoms that only Americans possess? After all, that is the OP.
We have no "special" freedoms, but only different levels of them. For example, we have more economic freedom than most any country, and more freedom to carry arms for self-defense and defense against a tyrannical government.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
We have no "special" freedoms, but only different levels of them. For example, we have more economic freedom than most any country, and more freedom to carry arms for self-defense and defense against a tyrannical government.
And we have freedom of speech, which many countries do not. In any case it is OUR Country warts and all. We all for the most part love our Country but not always agree with our goverment. If our country did not have something special about it, we would not have so many trying to get in and we would have a lot more trying to get out.
Sassy

Old 02-23-2008, 11:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
I think Americans are hated more for the quality of life, rather than the freedoms we have. The poorest of poor in this country, live like kings compared to the poor in other countries.

We are looked upon as arrogant and lazy to much of the world.

They also despise us for not acting quickly enough when things start going bad. As in terrorism, terror attacks have been taking place all over the world for a long time before 9/11. Once it happened, then the United States took a stand against it. So they look at it like, as long as it doesn't happen to the U.S., then we don't care. But they can't have it both ways, stay out of our country and our business. But when the you know what hits the fan, then they ask where we were.

To be honest, I think we are a bit arrogant. But hey, this is without a doubt the best country in the world.

Americans do have the most localized view of any nation, but I am sure it is due to being on the other side of the world, of where most of the problems are happening. I don't see Canada or Mexico getting out of hand, and I'm sure that is not just a conincidence either.

Sorry for getting off subject a little.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
There are people trying to "get into" other countries as well.
Look at the EU, why are people immigrating to EU countries if the US is so much better?

The OP is what special freedoms does the US have that no other country has?

Sassy, that's not the question, there is comparative levels, but people have been answering other OPs with the US has X and no other country does. When I ask them to elaborate, they can't.

Do we have freedom of speech? Please read my posts above. We allow it to be chiseled away.
I don't even believe we have freedom of the press because its owned by mega corporations with their own interest.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
There are people trying to "get into" other countries as well.
Look at the EU, why are people immigrating to EU countries if the US is so much better?
I don't think that's too hard to figure out.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Americans don't really value freedoms, but they love the word freedom.
As the Bush administration has demonstrated, restricting the freedoms of Americans is like taking candy from a baby. Of the warrantless wiretaps, hardly any Americans complained. Many complained about those who were against wiretaps.
Many American would welcome Big Brother with open arms.
Many Americans despise the media which criticizes the president's policies. Many Americans feel that the media manufactures phony stories and is determined to destroy America.
There are plenty of Americans who think that people getting arrested without being charged is a great idea.
There are also plenty of Americans who feel that demonstrators are commies and traitors, and should arrested.
Americans don't really care about freedoms. What Americans really care about are guns, money, low taxes, plenty of sports, good shopping, TV entertainment 24/7, and what else?
Somebody mentioned ideals. America has no ideals. American ideals are a thing of the past. Now, everything in America boils down to; get as much money as you can, however you can. It's a religion. But the word "freedom" sounds good.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans don't really value freedoms, but they love the word freedom.
As the Bush administration has demonstrated, restricting the freedoms of Americans is like taking candy from a baby. Of the warrantless wiretaps, hardly any Americans complained. Many complained about those who were against wiretaps.
Many American would welcome Big Brother with open arms.
Many Americans despise the media which criticizes the president's policies. Many Americans feel that the media manufactures phony stories and is determined to destroy America.
There are plenty of Americans who think that people getting arrested without being charged is a great idea.
There are also plenty of Americans who feel that demonstrators are commies and traitors, and should arrested.
Americans don't really care about freedoms. What Americans really care about are guns, money, low taxes, plenty of sports, good shopping, TV entertainment 24/7, and what else?
Somebody mentioned ideals. America has no ideals. American ideals are a thing of the past. Now, everything in America boils down to; get as much money as you can, however you can. It's a religion. But the word "freedom" sounds good.
Wow! It sounds like you cannot even leave the house anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies